• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Free Dynamic Charts (Feel Free to Steal)

JamesonCourage

Adventurer
There's been some mentions recently of dynamic chart rolls (someone linked Monsters and Manuals: Dynamic/Nested Encounter Tables recently). The rolls on these charts are supposed to help set up a situation. And, they're supposed to grip you from the get-go, making you ask "why is this happening?"

I decided to make a four d100 charts of my own, and attempt to make them fairly system/setting agnostic (it does assume a fairly standard fantasy genre). While the results can sometimes be a little odd, or seem a little forced, by and large it seems to work well.

Anyways, roll any way you think it's appropriate. For example, I usually roll Creature --> Action --> Creature/Object/Location (as appropriate) --> Motivation. Sometimes I'll throw in another Creature (if appropriate or I'm curious).

You can come up with some situations ahead of time and roll them later on, too. For example, if you came up with 20 different situations before game, you could roll a d20 later on to plug into the game. For example, here's 20 possible outcomes:

Dynamic Chart Roll Results said:
1) Knights are intimidating undead out of duty.
2) A warlord is observing a tomb out of curiosity.
3) An angel is observing ruins due to its rivalry with a hero.
4) Slavers are enslaving farmers to get recognition.
5) A lord is exorcising a prince to obtain his wealth as a gift.
6) A parent is obscuring ruins out of a promise to a princess.
7) Advisors are retreating to a farm to suppot villagers against conmen.
8) Rebels are enslaving soldiers to sell to fund their cause.
9) Hunters are refilling a water supply of farmers to obtain fame.
10) Knights are abandoning an encampment in order to save a dam.
11) Performers are repaying a princess while mourning their friend.
12) Thieves are obscuring a relic from performers to hurt them.
13) A powerful angel is resisting soldiers to enforce its ideal vision of order.
14) Gravediggers are fighting a moneylender out of hunger.
15) Rebels are assassinating inventors (one left) to enslave the locals.
16) Spies are invading a tomb to rescue an ally.
17) Physicians are searching for scrolls to initiate violence.
18) Assassins are surviving a muderer who is killing because of a fallen ally.
19) Physicians are venerating a food supply out of respect for its power.
20) Thieves are trading at a ceremony to unload their goods as soon as possible.

So, the attachment is below. Feel free to use it, if it's your style. If not, ignore it. Hope it helps someone, though :)

View attachment Dynamic Chart Rolls.pdf

JamesonCourage

Adventurer
I just looked it up. Giving credit where credit is due, it was Jacob Marley who mentioned the dynamic encounter charts in this post:

Monsters and Manuals did a very good blog post a couple months ago on dynamic encounter tables - something similar to what I had been doing for some time, only I use the encounter tables in the 1st Edition Dungeon Master's Guide modified by the Action and Subject tables from Mythic Game Master Emulator.

JamesonCourage

Adventurer
Thanks. Those tables look great! We really have to give credit to [MENTION=82883]noisms[/MENTION] as well for his blog post on dynamic encounter tables.
Oh, thanks for pointing that out. I missed it :blush:

Thanks, [MENTION=82883]noisms[/MENTION], for pointing them out. I really appreciate it.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads