• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Free feats for weapon styles

Zaruthustran

The tingling means it’s working!
Goal: a more cinematic game
Observations:

1. A person who takes TWF will usually fight with two weapons, a person who takes Power Attack will usually fight with a two-handed weapon.

2. A person who doesn't take TWF will never fight with two weapons, a person who doesn't take power attack will rarely fight with a two-handed weapon.

Idea: In order to encourage diversity of weapons/actions, I'm thinking about giving any class with a +3/4 BAB or better the TWF and Power Attack feats as bonus feats (with the restriction that the Power Attack feat only applies when using a two-handed weapon).

Desired outcome: people without TWF will occasionally pull out another weapon, and those without Power Attack will occasionally swing a two-hander.

Comments? Predictions?

Necromas

First Post
I dunno about your reasoning, but I like this idea simply because I think it's crap that two weapon fighters have to burn so many feats to stay on par with a non-power attacking two hander user. Of course, if you have sneak attack or something, it's another story, but this (not your idea but the normal rules) really gimps two weapon fighting builds that don't rely on things like sneak attack.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
The basic problem is the TWF mechanic. It gives you more attacks, and that's it. There's no option for "no extra attacks, but I can catch his sword easier". There's no option for using a weapon to block. There's no notion of locked blades pushing against each other for a few seconds while both fighters rigidly hold their stances, straining against each other's brute strength, and then one guy jumps up and kicks the other guy in the face.

More realistic-as-cinematic combat could be modeled, but it would require rules akin to grapple -- you'd have a notion of combat state, rather than just making a bunch of attacks and killing orcs.

Hmm. This might be worth exploring.

Cheers, -- N

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads