• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Free Lesser Metamagic for Sorcerers?

whydirt

First Post
I know a lot of people have attempted to add some flavor and/or a little more oomph to the Sorcerer.

Here's an idea I had recently and wanted to bounce off of some people: What if the Sorcerer gained the ability to use any Metamagic feat, but at an additional cost of +1 spell level to use it (i.e. Silent Spell would cost +2 Spell Levels to use). A Sorcerer who takes a Metamagic feat can use it normally.

Would this be too powerful or prone to abuse?

Stalker0

Legend
I like this idea, and I don't think it would be broken. I mean, if your sacrificing +2 spell levels for a silent spell, then I have problems with you getting a silent spell.

A +3 empower seems fine, and a +4 maximise I doubt I would ever use.

Machiavelli

First Post
It shouldn't be compatible with Divine Metamagic, though. Only metamagic feats you actually take should work with that. All the rest that you use with this Metamagician feat (heh, I like that name) have to actually use higher spell slots.

Wolf72

Explorer
SKR (iirc) had a good reccomendation way back in the beginning of 3.0.

allow metamagicked spells to be taken as a regular spell.

for example, magic missle is a 1st level spell ... taking the metamagic feat: still spell would allow a sorceror to use still spell with any of his spells. OR that sorceror could a spell called 'stilled magic missle' as a 2nd lvl spell ... in effect her/his 2nd level magic missle spell is the exact same spell as the 1st level version, but now without somatic components ... that and it's one level higher just like a metamagicked spell (except for the DC issue for save spells)

Remove ads