• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Free PDF's for the Gencon Deprived

guedo79

Explorer
I'd be a gencon in a heart beat. Sadly, I don't have the money or transportation at the moment. I'd rather not drive my car across have the contry. Not to mention, I wouldn't want people sitting in the tiny back seat of my car for a day and a half drive.

So no money = no plane tickets = no go. Besides I'd end up spending way to much money in the dealer room. Oh man, that's a sweet room.

JRRNeiklot

First Post
Let's see - no money, the floor just spontaneously fell out from under half my house, my truck would fall apart halfway there if I could somehow scrape together the money (and the time) to go, and I'm stuck babysitting my 80 year old father who has alzheimer's and is permanently tethered to an oxygen tank because of his failing lungs.

That enough of a sob story for ya? I could go on, but I'm an optomist. :confused:

Whisper72

Explorer
Hmmm... well... even though I live on the wrong side of the pond, the money wouldn't be a problem, as I have a well paying job and have some savings. The free days are no problem either, as I have 38 of them per year... (working for an insurance company is the next best thing compared to being a civil servant with that regard..). Housing could probably be arranged...

But in the end it IS a money issue. Seeing all the cool games, miniatures and other stuff, I would probably lose all control and buy out the entire gaming hall with out of print oddities, new stuff etc. So in the end, it is simply self-preservation that keeps me from going....

Zym

First Post
Alas, I couldn't go as I just started a new job, and have little free time atm.

I've always wanted to hit Gen Con, but it seems luck was always against me. I have attended Dragon Con, Con Con, and a number of others in the past years but Gen Con has yet eluded me.

It is something I will add to my list of things I've done yet!

BTW: Great idea and a rather fun one too. :cool:

Zaruthustran

The tingling means it’s working!
I'd love to go, but am too busy planning my own con: Penny Arcade Expo 2005.

Specifically, this weekend I'll be stuffing thousands of show bags with swag for attendees. Wizards alone sent 10,000 "30th Anniversary" d20s, battle droids, and who knows what else.

-z

mythusmage

Banned
Banned
Gospog said:
We can't go this year (the wife games as well) becuase our cat is psychotic.

Last time we went to GenCon, our cat (see my avatar) flipped out on the cat-sitters and woke them up at 3:00 AM, thrashing around behind the living room tv and meowing like she was going to die. (nothing was wrong with her)

When we got home, I don't know who was grumpier, the cat or the sitters! ;)

Anyway, we've been avoiding long trips since then. I won't even get into the cat's acts of "retaliation" in the days following our return! :eek:

Cats hate changes. Fellow blogger recently lost one of his four to liver disease and one of the three remaining just about lost it. Kept looking around for his friend and getting stressed out.

Recommendation: Have friends over, a lot. Get the cat used to having other people around, and used to being handled by them. After a few months let your friends stay with the beast while you and the missus go out. If it works you'll have a cat that's comfortable with more people than just Mommy and Daddy. By next year you'll be able to make GenCon and come home to an intact house.

arwink

Clockwork Golem
I've just finished going through all the e-mails I've received so far. If you've e-mailed me with your choice and haven't yet received a download link from RPGnow or an e-mailed reply, please check your spam filters to see if they've been caught up.

If anyone hasn't received a response yet or had any trouble getting their file, let me know.

William Ronald

Explorer
I am a graduate student. The best short comment on economic income for students was something I stumbled across ages ago in a Dragon magazine article on wealth in superhero RPGs. The comment was "Student: Similar to poor, but with limited library and computer access."

I hope to make it next year. (After getting my teaching certificate, and before starting in my new profession, I will have earned a brief vacation.)

Last edited:

William Ronald

Explorer
guedo79 said:
I'd be a gencon in a heart beat. Sadly, I don't have the money or transportation at the moment. I'd rather not drive my car across have the contry. Not to mention, I wouldn't want people sitting in the tiny back seat of my car for a day and a half drive.

So no money = no plane tickets = no go. Besides I'd end up spending way to much money in the dealer room. Oh man, that's a sweet room.

Well, you could try Amtrak when you have more cash. A friend who is at Gen Con took the train. He said it would take him four hours, compared with six hours of driving from Chicago.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads