• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Free RPG Day Dark Sun Adventure

IronWolf

blank
Yes.... sorry. I had had the link forwarded to me by one of players. And without confirming it, I got all excited and posted the link here and on rpg.net.

/facepalm....

Sorry.
It is just the pre-gens and not the adventure...
My mistake.

No worries. It happens! I just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing something, as a PDF available from wizards for that adventure would be welcomed.

Gryfalia

First Post
Bingo!

Last time I was there was for the 4e release Game Day. I ran an adventure, and got a ton of minis for my trouble. :)

The store has moved since then, it's about 3x bigger, and they have a seriously vast inventory. Impressively vast. I had no idea gaming in Bloomington/Normal was big enough to sustain a shop of that size!

-O

Hmm, I wonder what store that might be..;-)

Glad you had a good time, it was a popular event like it always is. Aldo runs it well (from Impressions) and we're always sure to get involved. I was reading your post and I was like 'Hey, someone commented on that Thousand Suns when he was in on Saturday, I wonder..hey, Normal..hehe'.

Obryn

Hero
Hmm, I wonder what store that might be..;-)

Glad you had a good time, it was a popular event like it always is. Aldo runs it well (from Impressions) and we're always sure to get involved. I was reading your post and I was like 'Hey, someone commented on that Thousand Suns when he was in on Saturday, I wonder..hey, Normal..hehe'.
Hah! Yep, that would be me! I posted something on Yelp about you folks, too. :) I was stunned; I don't know if it's the years, or the new location, but the place is impressive. Much, much better than I remembered it.

It's just rough getting there (or anywhere downtown, really) with a 3-month old. :erm:

-O

Gryfalia

First Post
Hah! Yep, that would be me! I posted something on Yelp about you folks, too. :) I was stunned; I don't know if it's the years, or the new location, but the place is impressive. Much, much better than I remembered it.

It's just rough getting there (or anywhere downtown, really) with a 3-month old. :erm:

-O

Hey, just come on down whenever you can, and you can always keep a watch on the website (www.gryfaliasaerie.com).

Thanks again!

fanboy2000

Adventurer
I love the adventure. It's pretty awesome. In addition to the rules that have already been discussed, I noticed something in the first adventure. If the PCs fail one of the skill challenges, the PCs have to dip into their personal rations. Specificly, the text says that each PC "loses 3 survival days from his or her personal stores. A character who doesn't have enough survival days loses 1 healing surge for each day's worth or rations he or she is short. The effect lasts until the character takes an extended rest in Altaruk."

I thought this was a good way to handle survival on Athas.

My favorite part of the adventure though is....[sblock]...is the trial by combat. Seriously. The adventure comes with a 32 square x 24 square arena. To set it in. Awesome.

The only think I don't like about it is that the PCs end-up in the arena no matter what the success of the diplomacy skill challenge. If successful, you get to fight the bad guy trying to enslave you, if unsuccessful, you end up fighting gith.[/sblock]

Armadillo

Explorer
I love the adventure. It's pretty awesome. In addition to the rules that have already been discussed, I noticed something in the first adventure. If the PCs fail one of the skill challenges, the PCs have to dip into their personal rations. Specificly, the text says that each PC "loses 3 survival days from his or her personal stores. A character who doesn't have enough survival days loses 1 healing surge for each day's worth or rations he or she is short. The effect lasts until the character takes an extended rest in Altaruk."

I thought this was a good way to handle survival on Athas.

My favorite part of the adventure though is....[sblock]...is the trial by combat. Seriously. The adventure comes with a 32 square x 24 square arena. To set it in. Awesome.

The only think I don't like about it is that the PCs end-up in the arena no matter what the success of the diplomacy skill challenge. If successful, you get to fight the bad guy trying to enslave you, if unsuccessful, you end up fighting gith.[/sblock]

I found the materials to be fantastic, and the info on Athas actually got me somewhat interested in Dark Sun. The adventure starts promising, but the second half is just terrible. Pretty much anything that you can come up with after "the merchant goes into the tent" would be better.

Remathilis

Legend
I managed to get the free Paizo module (the store near me allowed you to take only one of the following: WotC, Paizo, or White-Wolf things. Anything else was fair game, so I missed the C&C Quickstart) and as a bonus, I got the Rise of the Runelords Dice Set for 1/2 off.

A good day for me.

lin_fusan

First Post
If the PCs fail one of the skill challenges, the PCs have to dip into their personal rations. Specificly, the text says that each PC "loses 3 survival days from his or her personal stores. A character who doesn't have enough survival days loses 1 healing surge for each day's worth or rations he or she is short. The effect lasts until the character takes an extended rest in Altaruk."

I can't find any info on how many survival days characters are supposed to start with. Am I missing something obvious?

Also, doesn't the second skill challenge... [sblock]with it's -3 survival days for failure seem much harsher than the first skill challenge with it's +1 day to travel time for failure? And yet they are both equal in XP, complexity, and challenge! [/sblock]

I'm not a big fan of the second adventure. While the hook is interesting, I don't know if that's enough motivation for the characters to get involved in what is basically a...
CSI-style sequence. What makes anyone think that the PCs are the equivalent to forensic anthropologists a la "Bones"?

fanboy2000

Adventurer
I managed to get the free Paizo module (the store near me allowed you to take only one of the following: WotC, Paizo, or White-Wolf things. Anything else was fair game, so I missed the C&C Quickstart) and as a bonus, I got the Rise of the Runelords Dice Set for 1/2 off.

A good day for me.
I also picked-up Deathwatch, a Warhammer 40K RPG where everyone is a space marine! It doesn't get any better than that.

I can't find any info on how many survival days characters are supposed to start with. Am I missing something obvious?
Not so far as I can tell. I wish the character sheet or the adventure said something about it.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads