• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Free RPG Day Distribution

Sorrowdusk

First Post
How are local brick and mortars in your area distributing the Free RPG Day materials?

From what I understand the intent, at least on the FreeRPGDay website is that you are supposed to be able to just show up and the store is supposed to give you any one item you ask for (but they don't have to give away more than one per customer). My FLGS is using a point system from their customer rewards membership. Basically you get 1pt per dollar you spend in the store (I have 135). You can then spend it on other things. For example...a snack that is worth $1.25 ....is worth 35 points. A dice set up to $7 is 110 points. Etc.

During Free RPG Day, the items will be attained through the reward points system. Only 2 items per person. For me the answer is obvious. The wooden games accessories by BluePanther games normally sell on their website for $20 and are worth 35pts. The Through The Breach multi-part miniatures were originally kick starter backed , and are now available in stores (albeit about 30$ each as male and female sets). I like to paint, so it seems like a clear decision. (though I think the FRPGD samples are smaller). The Conan RPG book seems tempting. If it's what I think it is, it's a (hardcover?) version of the same book on DriveThru quickstart of 44 pages. PDF is free but game materials always seem better as solid materials.

But one of the things I wonder about, is....is this fair for new people who come to the store? They aren't rewards members, havent been saving up, so...they can always buy items in the store. This saturday you earn DOUBLE points. So you come to the store for the first time, and you eye that Starfinder book? It's 20 points. Albeit you can become a member, and spend $10 to earn those 20 points and get the Free RPG Day item immediately. If you want things beyond your limit of 2 items, every purchase of $20 gets you another item. Now there are about 20 different items altogether available 8 of which have a cost of 0 pts (Runequest , TORG, Borderhounds, Familiars of Terra, Ninja Crusade, etc). So people off the street can come right in and get those.

What do you think, does this sound fair to you?

Last edited:

DM Howard

Explorer
Yeah, I feel like that type of system is cool for normal events, but it kind of skips past the entire point of Free RPG Day.

Remove ads