• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Free RPG Day

thalmin

Retired game store owner
Notice that, like last year, Wizards is not a sponsor. In fact, last year Wizards sponsored another D&D Game Day on the same day as Free RPG
(added) which they don't seem to be doing this year.

SquareKnot

Explorer
After Action?

Now that this has come and gone, does anyone have anything to say about the event or offerings this year? In past years Free RPG Day has been front page news here on Enworld, but with all the focus on DnD 5th edition's imminent release, I've heard nary a whimper. How was the Pathfinder adventure? Was Free RPG Day a big deal in your local store or was it smaller this year than last? Any games going on in-store?

If there is already an uber-thread about this, please point me in that direction, as I clearly have missed it.

Thanks

Last edited:

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Unfortunately, Free RPG Day was too expensive for my FLGS to participate. A drawback of being in Australia.

Cheers!

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
Unfortunately, Free RPG Day was too expensive for my FLGS to participate. A drawback of being in Australia.

Whot's the Australian woohd fo "Free RPG?"

I guess the Day doesn't live up to its name. The "Free RPGs" folder on my desktop sure does.

thalmin

Retired game store owner
Whot's the Australian woohd fo "Free RPG?"

I guess the Day doesn't live up to its name. The "Free RPGs" folder on my desktop sure does.
It costs the stores to participate. In the US, the cost is about $85 per kit, which contains about 100 items. The items are donated by the manufacturers; but the packing, colation, shipping and handling is not free, nor is the advertising and promotion. So we as stores are paying to give away "free" stuff. And I don't have any idea how much extra the shipping to Australia would be.

fjw70

Adventurer
I spent about $40 at one of my local stores and picked 4 free adventures. Overall a good day for me and (I hope) the LGS.

thalmin

Retired game store owner
After the Event Comments from a Store Owner

While not as successful as previous Free RPG Days, we still saw about a 25% increase in sales. Of course, we had some competition provided by the kinda local Nexus Game Convention this year. We had special games of Pathfinder, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Valiant Universe, and 13th Age going on. (We also had some other games being played that were not associated with the Game Day, like Warmachine, 40K, and a couple boardgames).

Remove ads