• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Freeport in Greyhawk.

spacemonkey

Official ENworld Space Monkey
Sea Barons would be a good choice. I'd also consider placing it smack dab in the Azure Sea. Part of Freeport's charm is that it is off the continent a bit, but not too far from the action to be 'out of the way'. The city can certainly take care of itself with those huge cannons (etc), and it needs to be close enough to some major shipping lane crossroads (cross-seas?) for pirates to find it a handy location.

Depending on how you play it, the location may not even matter that much - in my last 2 Freeport campaigns the players hardly ever got off the islands - too much locally to do ;) One of those was set nominally in Greyhawk - but I only ever had a vague idea of where (I had a 'Freeport' campaign planned, so that's where the action was - those players didn't get time to rest or consider leaving <evil grin>).

I set it in the Iron Kingdoms for my more recent campaign, just off the western coast (making the unusually tropical weather at that latitude - given the corresponding mainland temperatures - an oddity that the players got to puzzle out during the campaign).

Both worked well, Freeport is awesome wherever you stick it, really.

grodog

Hero
Freeport could easily be slid into the Pomarj, Wild Coast, Sea Princes, Lordship of the Isles, Great Kingdom coasts, along any of the lake shores, etc.

I would tend to lean on Pomarj or Wild Coast myself, but any of the maritime nations really would be feasible.

Pramas

Explorer
When I was first creating Freeport, I had the Lordship of the Isles in mind. The assassination of Anton Drac was meant to echo the overthow of Prince Latmac Ranold (Yellow Sign = Scarlet Sign in this equation). As others have pointed out though, you could easily use Freeport in other locations as well.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Pramas said:
When I was first creating Freeport, I had the Lordship of the Isles in mind. The assassination of Anton Drac was meant to echo the overthow of Prince Latmac Ranold (Yellow Sign = Scarlet Sign in this equation). As others have pointed out though, you could easily use Freeport in other locations as well.
This needs to be reposted and enshrined at the Freeport blog!

Last edited:

Pramas said:

Good to know! Thanks.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads