• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Friggen Laser Beams

Kitirat

First Post
Ok so the thing I dislike most about 4th ed so far is a simple one. 3 of the 8 classes can just shot friggen laser beams from themselves at will. While I can handle it for the warlock and wizard, the cleric just seems silly.

"I, Mombo, cleric of Dim the God of Darkness, will destroy you... With my friggen laser beams shotting out my Arse."

Please, for the love of all things, if anyone sees the shadowfell preview, look at the cleric and tell us of his daily at wills. If the god of the sun has laser beams, well at least I can manage, but if all the cleric's powers are of similar "Rapid fire, lasers, range 5...We are approaching target cap'n, looks like they will be on line in 3,2,1." design, I will be sorely disappointed.

Thanks,
Ken

Klaus

First Post
Kitirat said:
Ok so the thing I dislike most about 4th ed so far is a simple one. 3 of the 8 classes can just shot friggen laser beams from themselves at will. While I can handle it for the warlock and wizard, the cleric just seems silly.

"I, Mombo, cleric of Dim the God of Darkness, will destroy you... With my friggen laser beams shotting out my Arse."

Please, for the love of all things, if anyone sees the shadowfell preview, look at the cleric and tell us of his daily at wills. If the god of the sun has laser beams, well at least I can manage, but if all the cleric's powers are of similar "Rapid fire, lasers, range 5...We are approaching target cap'n, looks like they will be on line in 3,2,1." design, I will be sorely disappointed.

Thanks,
Ken
What if there aren't actual beams coming from their arses? What if the cleric of the Sun God calls down a column of light, while the cleric of the Infernal Lord causes the target to burst with hellish heat from within? Mechanically, the same. Visually, quite different.

I think only clerics of the Lucas should shoot friggin' laser beams. :D

Ian O'Rourke

First Post
Yeah, I think what's important is it's an At Will ability that causes ???? damage - how you describe the effect is up to you I'd guess, as long as it gains no additional abilities because of that description.

Caedrus

Explorer
I don't think it's the description of the powers the OP has an issue with. I think it's more the fact that casters now have access to an at-will source of ranged damage (correct me if I'm wrong). With access to an ability like this, who wouldn't take it?

Andor

First Post
Perhaps the gods feel that every creature deserves a hot meal?
evilpinky_thumbnail.jpg

Mercule

Adventurer
Caedrus said:
I don't think it's the description of the powers the OP has an issue with. I think it's more the fact that casters now have access to an at-will source of ranged damage (correct me if I'm wrong). With access to an ability like this, who wouldn't take it?
I think that's the point of the design, actually. There was some early comment from a developer along the lines of "A wizard using a crossbow isn't particularly cool, interesting, or evocative of a wizard. Why not just give them an at-will magical attack that's on par with a crossbow?"

I don't know that I want to extend that logic to clerics. But, as J. Tweet (IIRC) pointed out in his "Opposite of Magic" blog, the image of magic has moved from something subtle and indefinite to something with a lot of FX. Since the cleric is using magic that is, for the most part, as blatant as that used by the wizard, it isn't unreasonable to give them a magical attack on par with what they'd be doing with weapon alternatives.

Given the chance, I'd really, really like the option of playing a Medieval fantasy game where all the magical stuff is subtle and, you know, arcane, but that game ain't D&D. So long as the effect can feel appropriate to the class (e.g. it looks like spiritual weapon or Pelor's burning light or Asmodeus' fiery scourge) I think I'll be okay with it.

Ashrem Bayle

Explorer
Klaus said:
What if there aren't actual beams coming from their arses? What if the cleric of the Sun God calls down a column of light, while the cleric of the Infernal Lord causes the target to burst with hellish heat from within? Mechanically, the same. Visually, quite different.

I think only clerics of the Lucas should shoot friggin' laser beams. :D

That's the trick. Creativity in description.

Mathew_Freeman

First Post
Kitirat said:

Thanks,
Ken

If you're choosing to view the powers in this way, then yeah, you'll be disappointed. As others have said, a bit of creative work on the descriptions should help you visualise it in another way.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads