D&D 5E Frighteningly Frightened

R_J_K75

Legend
Last night the players, a rouge and a paladin came up against a Vampire Spawn, CR5, and 6 zombies. They are both level 2. There was 2 NPCs, a gnome 0-level schmo, and a doppelganger. I believe the Vampire Spawn was from the Grim Hollow Bestiary. So the paladin hits the VS and leaves it with the frightened condition. I didn't see anything in the monster entry itself to say that it was immune to mind affecting conditions. Is it in the front of the MM under the undead entry? In the end the rouge gave the vampire spawn the old bums rush and knocked him out. Rouge got a modified 20+ on his acrobatics while the VS got a nat 1 athletics and I ruled they knocked him out.

Would you allow the frightened condition on an undead creature, and would you allow an undead creature to be knocked unconscious? Lastly, I couldnt find it (but nor did I look beyond reading the frightened condition), if the paladin attacks the frightened VS doesnt that negate the frightened condition?

R_J_K75

Legend
Most definately allow, as Turning Undead inflicts the frightened condition.

Attacking the target does not negate frightened, unless it specifically states otherwise, such as with Turning.
Sounds like I played it right then. After the Vampire Spawn was inflicted with frightened, it used its acrobatics check to jump to the closest wall then spiderclimbed

Zubatcarteira

Now you're infected by the Musical Doodle
While it works pretty much the same as the Fear spell, Turn Undead doesn't seem to inflict Frightened, they're just Turned. Makes you wonder why there's a dinstiction if most undead aren't immune to frightened anyway.

Edit: Alright, checking it, there's a fair amount immune to frightened, actually.

Vaalingrade

Legend
While it works pretty much the same as the Fear spell, Turn Undead doesn't seem to inflict Frightened, they're just Turned. Makes you wonder why there's a dinstiction if most undead aren't immune to frightened anyway.

Edit: Alright, checking it, there's a fair amount immune to frightened, actually.
They used to ALL be immune to fear for... reasons. Dumb reasons. So turning frightened them away with the power of God (even if that god was cool with undead), but couldn't actually 'frighten' them.

Stormonu

Legend

My bad, for some reason I thought the Turn Undead ability specifically mentioned Frightened, but rereading it again I see you're right. I blame the Mandela effect.

R_J_K75

Legend
My bad, for some reason I thought the Turn Undead ability specifically mentioned Frightened, but rereading it again I see you're right. I blame the Mandela effect.
I said to my player Monday, "I think since you were the one who imposed the condition on it, once you attack its negated " but we read the frightened condition and nothing, I think its buried in the rules somewhere.

Remove ads