From humble beginnings...

drs

First Post
"Sure do friend, looks like he's gathered us here."

Grenier motions to the others and himself.

"For some kind of 'job', other than that I probably only know as much as you do."

"Let me introduce you, I'm Grenier from Geoff, this is M'faro from Tehn, this her ladyship Manzanita from the wild coast, and this fella here is Bor, better not mess with him."

Grenier points to Bor's club and then at Bor with large smile.

Narrator

Banned
Banned
12pm, 11th of Planting. 585 C.Y.

The few days that you have spent in Gorsend have been unpleasant to say the least. The filth, the crowds, the poverty; it was if the entire Flanaess had used Gorsend as a place to dump all its waste.

Even the city itself seemed bleak and dismal. It was an old city, dating back to Aerdi occupation in the glorious days of the Great Kingdom. Stone buildings abounded. Old streets of cobbled stone were still functional, even if in disrepair, and the spires, gargoyles, intricate designs on archways, and carved stone monuments to Oeridian gods, all served to provide a sense of sturdiness. Perhaps that's why so many refugees had flocked here?

Regardless, it all served to make the place dismal as well. There was lots of flourish but little colour in Aerdi design and so the greyness of the stone seemed to seep into everyone who stayed here.

It was not until the 11th day of Planting, on Godsday, the day of worship, that you realized just how miserable people here were. Even most of you, with the exception of Manzanita, forgot that it was Tanabat, the Festival of the Seven Sisters. Such was usually a joyous time amongst even nations as far as Geoff and Tenh. The festival dedicated to Olidammara in which even Beory, Berei and Obad-Hai got a mention, and where everyone drank of the vine and celebrated the wonders of the grape.

But such was not to be in this town. A few skerricks of laughter could be heard here and there but it was little and short-lived; the wars had certainly taken their toll if even the reknowned spirit of Furyondy could be crushed.

This all was not your concern, however deeply you might feel for these people; your business was with Tarvoden. He had brought you all here; gathered you like stray sheep and plunked you together in this most unlikely of places. All you knew, was that you were hand-picked for a mission that would garner five-hundred weight of gold.

As you meandered about in the tavern, pacing back and forth, or resting calmly, whichever your personality dictated, all you had to do was talk with your potential companions.

Grenier Elderich, a noble judging by his manner and speech, and a magic-user of some sort who carried an arsenal of weapons. Perhaps paranoid from having his nation, Geoff, overrun by giant-kin?

M'faro, a warrior of the occupied nation of Tenh. His massive stead barely contained within the stables, and his tattered tunic, bore symbols of flames that could be said to be the markings of a military unit.

Manzanita, the half-elven maiden from Fax, who enchanted you with her melodies on the flute. Though she seems athletic and capable with a blade, you wonder if her delicate demeanor could really have been cultured on the Wild Coast.

Bor, the farmer-come-warrior from Concantenated Cantons of Perrenland, seeking his fortune in the southern lands. A large man of only sixteen winters, he yet bears himself as a more than capable fighter.

And then there's Garik, a mysterious man wrapped in brown cloth in a manner peculiar to the Baklunish people. Though seemingly a warrior, he is silent on the nature of his skills and has so far borne himself in a manner that tells little.

These, then, would be your companions on this mission. Five-hundred weight divided by five companions still meant a decent sum, but certainly not what you had at first expected. Nevertheless, you had come this far and thus would hear Tarvoden speak before deciding what to do.

Upon these musings Tarvoden interrupted with his entrance.

"Are you ready?"

OOC: The game has now 'started'. Posting rules are in effect, blah, blah... umm... in case you haven't noticed, I give XP on a post-by-post basis. A regular roleplaying post garners 5 XP, with increases up to 50+ depending on how well the characterization and roleplaying is. This is partly to encourage posting but don't count on anything just because you post, especially if you post one thing and then another straight away when yah coulda just edited your original post... that's cheating! :)

Last edited:

Bor

Banned
Banned
Bor gets up happily to greet Tarvoden and clasps his hand.

"Ready enough I guess Mr Tarvoden. In fact I think I can speak for the rest of us when I say we couldn't be more eager to leave this place. Its good you came now though because I think a couple more days hereabouts and it would have sucked the strength right out of me. Miserable it is."

Bor half turns towards the stairs and pauses hesitantly.

"Should I get my gear now or are you going to tell us whats to do first?"

Clete

Banned
Banned
Clete approches Tarvoden nervously.

"Tarvoden, a mate of mine told me you might be in need of hired help. I?d like to offer my services."

Clete is a bit nervous but makes as sincere an offer as possible; he is cleary very keen to take part in Tarvoden's mission.

Last edited:

Narrator

Banned
Banned
Tarvoden

Tarvoden's smile warms as Bor comes towards him and clasps his hand which he gladly accepts. In a soft yet strong voice he speaks.

"Cold hands greet warm hearts, my friend."

For a moment, Bor, you are taken aback; such is an old greeting used amongst warriors of the Quaglands. It was something your father taught you when you were a lad but had never seen used in recent times, even amongst your own people. It was a greeting of friendship and that honoured the person who it was said to in the eyes of Perreners.

"Aye, I apologize for the meagre accomodations, but as you will see, I had little choice other than to sponsor you myself.

He watches as you move away, hears your query and answers.

"No, there's no need for gear yet. You can pick it up on the way back if you like. This is just a meeting with your employer."

Casually, Tarvoden turns his head towards movement and as his eyes fall upon Clete, his face is washed of all emotion. In a clear, steady voice, however, he answers the nervous boy.

"Clete, I didn't expect to see you here... I never mentioned this job to anyone outside this circle, though I suppose word travels..."

He briefly glances in the direction of the rest of you before turning his gaze back upon the boy.

"I suppose it couldn't hurt, though I would seek the approval of these people first, and say to you now that you will be judged by one of my peers, to whom I do not recommend you. I mean no offense by that, Clete, however you must understand, I had... perimeters for whom I gathered... nevertheless, if you're shrewd, as I expect you may be, he will accept you."

Tarvoden's gaze then turns to M'faro who addressed him and so he replies in kind.

"And a good day to you to, M'faro. I trust your steed is hacking at the bit as much as you... soon you'll be free to make your decision and, hopefully, make haste on your mission."

OOC: Haha! Already the plot thickens! Who is that brown cloaked man? Why it's Clete!

Last edited:

Manzanita

First Post
Manzanita accompanies Tarboden. As they walk, she takes a position at his side & speaks to him softly.

Tarvoden, my friend. It is indeed good to see you. You seem to one who has traveled widely. Tell me, have you been to Highport of late? What is the situation there?

Last edited:

M'faro

First Post
M'faro nervously keeps scratching his arms and chest and look around kinda embarrassed...

Darn! These bloody fleas are killin' me!

Addressing Manzanita

I understand you want to get news of your homeland, but Tarvoden gathered us here for something we still don't know...

Looking at Tarvoden

Will the briefing will be here, sir?

Narrator

Banned
Banned
"Ah, Grenier my friend, good to see you're ready, willing and able. Such is the spirit of your people. I trust you've learned the value of your staff?"

Distracted by Manzanita, he pulls away from Grenier and leans in closer to hear her whispers.

"Ah, my dear, I hear the situation is grave down that way, but unfortunately my concerns are greater here and to the north so news of that area does not reach me and nor do I reach for it."

Hearing M'faro's concerns, he replies.

"It is ok, M'faro, concern is a sign of a good heart. As to the briefing, it shall be held at the council building down the street."

Tarvoden looks around and spies Garik, the ever silent.

"Will you be joining us, sala a'phir, Gar'ik?"

Remove ads