• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

From the Ground Up - Building a Game Company

Eosin the Red

First Post
You want HOW MUCH

You want how much!!

So lets talk about the price to produce a quality piece of gaming action for your average bloke. Art is a big piece of your expense; I mean a big piece. The way in which you greet the world is the cover. A bad cover often prevents me from even picking up a module or setting.

Covers run the gamut from $50 up to more than a $1,000.00 and I suspect that some people like Bron, Terese Nielson, and Lockwood would charge even higher. Can anyone ballpark one of these biggies?

Let’s face it if you bomb on the cover, you start the game fourth and long. I did not scrimp here but I also did not go with the highest person.

Interior art. This is the strange thing about art – I love the feel of a game when it has consistent art. Dark Sun, Original 7th Sea, and similar products stand out in part due to a uniform look. I want this – I suppose some business major would call it branding. I want a certain style of art identified with our products. It is much harder to find “a style” than a good artist. Most of the people whom I did not select for the art were very good. Some were flat out amazing but their work just did not have the flair I was looking to put into my products. The good guys are $25.00 to $50.00 per ¼ page. They know they are good and by goodness, they deserve to be paid based on quality. That is a real hurdle for a PDF company. Just do a little math and you will start to see how bleak this becomes?

There are other sources of art, but I recon there is only ONE first product. In today’s RPG atmosphere, you only get the chance to win a customer once. Important lesson – if you are serious about doing this and jumping into the “biggies” expect to take a financial pounding on the first product or two. If we can jump to print then this is much less burdensome since the level of the art is already “printable.”

Total art bill for the first project, including maps is going to bury me at or around $800.00 to 1,000.00 dollars. That is on a project that I plan to make $1050.00 over the course of 3-4 months and any PDF people will tell you that what I am banking on is VERY unlikely.

So, we are going to take a loss the first few products or break even if we are lucky. I can live with that, this is basically the vanity press of the new millennia. Getting out without loosing my rear would not be a “defeat” it would be the lowest level of success.

I stewed over several different artists and finally decided to go with this:

Lee Smith is going to do the initially proposed character designs in color.
Jeff Ward will be doing the cover.
Jason McCustion will be doing several interior shots.
Clayton from Morningstar is doing the maps.

I am considering a piece from two other artists; we will see how my bank account holds out. [These two have not been notified since I need to do some number crunching but they are Sarah Skinner & Ian Armstrong].

Finally, I also picked up a layout artist from group, Sarah Skinner.

The moral to this story is expect to either: take a loss, put out an inferior looking product, become an artist, marry an artist, or design a product that needs no art.

Next - comes the dreaded discussion of becoming a pimp daddy. Also, webdesign and product concept. Shortly after that we will get to the "special
features" then we will be up on today where I got the brilliant idea to write this thread instead of doing any real work. :)

Eosin the Red

First Post
The Virgin Islands ..... now that would be interesting.

I speak with an accountant tomorrow, I might run the idea by him just for fun. :p

Thanks for the words of encouragement, Mark. Perhaps you should pipe in since you have 100 times more experience than I do.

Sir Elton

First Post
Eosin the Red said:
The Virgin Islands ..... now that would be interesting.

I speak with an accountant tomorrow, I might run the idea by him just for fun. :p

Thanks for the words of encouragement, Mark. Perhaps you should pipe in since you have 100 times more experience than I do.

Oh sure, ignore my post. :]

Eosin the Red

First Post
Sir Elton said:
Oh sure, ignore my post. :]

Well, you are the competition. I need to work on keeping your airtime down.

Actaully, that is pretty close to what I am doing. If you want to see how much we jive send me an email. This ball is rolling and there is room for a few more people, but I don't have a business degree. :) If I did I would go use it somewhere else and make money.

:p

Eosin_the_red@cox.net

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
Eosin the Red said:
Thanks for the words of encouragement, Mark.

You're welcome!

Eosin the Red said:
Perhaps you should pipe in since you have 100 times more experience than I do.

Don't drag me into this! ;) (I'm here to learn, like everyone else.)

Eosin the Red said:
...but I don't have a business degree. :) If I did I would go use it somewhere else and make money.

Truer words were never spoken.

Eosin the Red

First Post
Website for Sale to good home!!

Web design and the Death of an Icon!

Not really an Icon but I sure liked it. After diving in and spending some dough, it suddenly sprang to mind that I ran an extensive fan site for the Wheel of Time RPG and I ran a fan site for my Fantasy Hero game that included proprietary images from Hero Games.

Ut oh, that ain’t gonna fly real well at all. I started looking at methods to shelter my 3 year old website that was still doing well on Enworlds topsites. The grim reality set in that my baby was going to have to be laid to rest. Another sort of emotional conflict surfaced around this issue. I was giving up being a “big fish in a little pond” to become a “small fish in one of the great lakes.” That did not seem like much but I started asking myself why I was doing what I was doing? I came up with the following reasons.

People – especially semi-pro people - like to grumble about how they could do it better. Critics grumble about how novices think they can do it better and gamers just keep on gaming. Can I do it better? Everyone who is in RPG publishing or reviewing, at their core, believes that they can do it better. That is what we are doing isn’t it? WotC thought that they could run TSR better, Hasbro thought that they could run WotC better, Monte Cook thought that he could do better, we all think that we have something to offer and that it is “better” than what is out there. The big BUT for me is that I could do the same with my website. That can’t be the only reason.

Respect? Who are we kidding. Actually, I will discuss this in a minute.

Money? I am the provider for a family of 5. My wife has been a stay at home mother for the last 4 years. Money is always an issue. Maybe I just dream big but I think that there is money to be made at this if you try hard enough, just like there is money in basketball if you try hard enough. Possibly big money, but that would hinge on getting licensing fees and novels deals.

Ascending to ever higher heights of Dming? In a way, this is also a reason. Writing game worlds, modules, and supplements is similar to being the DM. As I have aged, gaming has been reduced from a Saturday and Sunday affair to a Saturday night thing and finally to where I am today which is gaming every other Saturday night. Lots of pent up creativity and frustrated story telling in this ole body of mine. I think about writing novels and directing movies also.

I think all of these reasons play into the decision to become a publisher, even respect. I know that they did in my case. Like every arm chair quarterback I think I can play the game well. Everyone desires to be acknowledged, and that may be as indirectly as my wife telling her friends that her husband runs a small publishing company to getting special treatment at the FLGS. There is something special about being a writer or an artist who makes money at their profession. It is like when I was a Fire Fighter. That is the coolest job in the world and EVERYONE knows it. I was younger and much more foolishly prideful in my youth but I loved it when people asked what I did for a living. I like being a RN - I am damn good at my profession but I am not proud to say I am a nurse. I think I would be proud to say that I am a writer or publisher, not in the same way as being a fire fighter but with that same sence of owning or being your professional title.

Money. It can be done, it probably isn’t easy but it is probably much more likely than my turning into a pro ball player.

Tonight I spent several hours outlining my plan to a friend. My wife can breathe easy, our bank account will soon be back on the solvent side, and I will be able to make the mortgage. We discussed these very issues, and my friend told me with his wallet that he believed in my dream, and that he believed in me, even if I was doing some things in an unorthodox fashion. He saw my vision.

It is still weird losing my fansites so please pardon my sentimentality.

Tomorrow night I will talk about web design and where I think many small (and some large) companies go wrong. It is a good thing that I am no longer foolishly prideful :)

Last edited:

Sir Elton

First Post
Eosin the Red said:
Well, you are the competition. I need to work on keeping your airtime down.

Actaully, that is pretty close to what I am doing. If you want to see how much we jive send me an email. This ball is rolling and there is room for a few more people, but I don't have a business degree. :) If I did I would go use it somewhere else and make money.

:p

Eosin_the_red@cox.net

YES! I am the Competition. But keep my airtime down and you are killing yourself. Competition, GOOD! Monopoly, BAD! Didn't you take economics in High School? :lol:

My game products are going to be a little different. I'm working on translating Jason and the Argonauts into a D20 Module. When the product is ready to press, it's not going to be compliant with the d20 STL. So I don't know how much we are going to jive together.
:D

Kyramus

First Post
This falls on 14, what are you writing about.

Content and artwork

Reading through this thread, I found something that lingered in the back of my mind. At first I didn't know what it was until I reread the company name. Pencil Pushers Publishing.

Cover could be color, but i am getting nostalgic and remembering those pencil artwork that's charcoalish type. Then I vaguely remembered the old stuff that were either blu pencil sketches or just pencil sketches.

It might be something to think about, just to give it a feel for the overall company.

Cover art could be blue pencil sketch or color, but the interior art is charcoal or pencil sketches.

now that i've talked about artwork, let's go back to content. What would Pencil Pushers be focused on.
1) game worlds are plentiful, Adventures/modules might be a good way to go. Generic world.
2) World politics, or how to guides for building monarchies, councils, etc?
3) Where's the trade? What to trade? does a single ear of corn buy you a night in the local inn?
4) Merchant caravans, merchant princes, family secrets, specializing in what kind of trade, caravan guards?
5) more monsters?
6) More spells?
7) Terrain specific core classes?
8) low magic? medium magic? high magic? stupendously overmuch magic with tech? (picture arm cartridges that inject cure serious potion as a free action during combat when youg et hurt for more than 15 hps)
9) Alternate prime planes? allows for cross overs to whatever world you want.
10) So you are a Demigod, what now?
11) So you are an Archmage, what are you doing now?
12) So you just took over a country, what now?
13) You are the overlord of the world. What now?
14) The underdark is darker than you expected.
15) The world is hollow?
16) The moon is inhabited?
17) The moon is hollow?
18) Things that fly to the moon and back?
19) A world without humans?
20) Time fluctuating world? one day you have low magic, next you have high, next you have low tech, next it's battle armor. makes for a weird game but if the whole world knows that it changes day in and day out, how do governments and leaders control the populace? How do people survive when crops appear and disappear every day? Maybe there is a temple of time that doesn't get affected? and they can fortell what the next day holds?

just brainstorming, tossing ideas in the breeze, etc.
if you need an extra brain, i'm willing to lend a hand. :)

Kyramus@yahoo.com

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
Eosin the Red said:
Total art bill for the first project, including maps is going to bury me at or around $800.00 to 1,000.00 dollars. That is on a project that I plan to make $1050.00 over the course of 3-4 months and any PDF people will tell you that what I am banking on is VERY unlikely.

Once you've committed to laying out that kind of money for art, PDF is no longer the wisest option.

You will actually have an easier time recouping that investment PLUS your printing costs with a print run of about 2000 copies.

In the short term, I'd go with b/w artwork exclusively, and fewer art pieces overall, which is more in line with the needs of a PDF consumer. If and when your PDF proves itself, you can always go to print.

But for the kind of investment you're talking about, I'd go straight to print.

Wulf

Remove ads