• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

From The Shadows (A Ravenloft Campaign)

CoolHand

First Post
"That's a good lad," Thadeus whispers, patting Alexander on the shoulder for good measure...which presents the priest a fine opportunity to wipe clean his hand. Cleanliness is next to godliness, don't ye know. Squinting into the darkness, he frees his holy ward from his robes and pulls forth his mace. "Whad'ya make of it, boy?"

Varren:
[sblock]You hear a strange, distant noise, its source unknown but somehow familiar. Your mind begins to draw focus from the reading as you strain to hear the commotion. All of a sudden, the sounds become clear: shouting from outside the vardo!

"NO!" Anja shouts. "Do not lose your focus! These next two cards hold your destiny!"

She quickly flips the next card. "Behold your future!"

A dark figure stares outward on this card, as though desperately searching for something. His face lies shadowed beneath a hooded cloak decorated with ten stars, yet his eyes show as two stygian holes with pupils of flame.

"Just as the Abjurer, the Master of stars is a warning. Beware hidden knowledge and secrets kept in your search for answers. There is one who holds much knowledge in your future, far more than any one human should. Black knowledge...evil secrets. Beware..."

She flips the next card and instantly recoils, falling off her stool. The wooden tile falls face down on the table, begging you to pick it up and reveal your final fate.

"That card is your destiny, the focus of your life, and for that, I am sorry."[/sblock]

Other Players:
[sblock]Another scream pierces the night. In the distance you can barely hear a young woman crying for help. "Please, anyone, help me! Please!"[/sblock]

Nightcloak

First Post
[sblock]What the...

I'm questing for knowledge... but need to beware of knowledge...
Problems outside! They need my help.
I'm seeking.... What? And why is it bad?
Damn! I need to go and help.
I need to see that card!
I don't want to know. Look at her. It scared
her for gods sake...

Varen just stares at the card that's tempting him. Daring him to move it. He looks back at the lady.

Lady? What was her name? This cannot be real.

Varren just stares at her for a moment, then closes his eyes.

I need to go... I can't until I know...

He grabs the card.
Lifts it up to the light and flips it.

Slowly, he opens his eyes to reveal...[/sblock]

[sblock]
Nightcloak said:
Slowly, he opens his eyes to reveal...

"...Death..." The word barely escapes Anja's lips.

A skeletal horse rears, its skull-faced rider wrapped in a black cloak. The horse snorts fire, illuminating the scene depicted on the card. The rider carries a wicked scythe. Beneath the horse's feet lies a headless corpse. Behind him is a field full of tombstones.

Anja makes a quick warding jesture. "I am sorry, traveler, but the cards do not lie. Not but evil follows the Horseman. Your fate is sealed. The path you travel now is your last."
[/sblock]

CoolHand

First Post
"By the gods, we must be hurryin'!" shouts Thadeus. With a cry to Ilmater, he hurries towards the sounds of the young woman. "Come on then, boy," he calls over his shoulder as he moves into the darkened woods. "'Tis a poor night to die alone."

Xen155

First Post
Seeing his to comrades run off Erasmus bangs on the door to the wagon. "Hope im not disturbing you two but our impatient freinds have run off into the night in aid of some 'Damseil in distress'. And it appears im going with them!" Erasmus runs off after the other two bringing a song of Bravery to his lips and pulling out his Viola. "This will not doubt make a good tale!"

Nightcloak

First Post
[sblock]Some time had passed before Varren realized that he was sitting on the floor with his back against the door. Still clutching the card and staring at it. He could feel the sweat running down his face and hear nothing but his breathing.

Death...

Why do you follow me?

Fate sealed... Last path... The room was as quite as a tomb.

My tomb?

There was a sudden banging on the door behind him that made Varren jump and scream, looking around wildly with his sword drawn.

A voice yells "Hope im not disturbing you two but our impatient freinds have run off into the night in aid of some 'Damseil in distress'. And it appears I'm going with them!"

A second passes before the sound of his blood pumping leaves his ears and Varren realizes where he is.

"No more deaths!!!" yells Varren as he charges out the door.[/sblock]

You and your allies charge valiantly into the dark woods. The branches lash your face and the brambles snag your clothes as you rush to the source of the screaming. Within a heartbeat you've found what you've been searching for...

A small child, not more than eight, huddles at the base of a twisted elm tree. She rocks back and forth, holding a large book to her chest. Her eyes are fixed on a small break in the trees to your right, as if something must surely appear soon.

Remove ads