• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Frost/Nixon

catsclaw227

First Post
Today I did a rare thing these days considering there's a 1-yr old stumbling around the house.

I watched two movies, back-to-back.

I first watched Caprica, which I really liked, and commented on in that thread.

Then I watched Frost/Nixon. Very good film, and Frank Langella was amazing as Richard Nixon. The mannerisms, the tone, his whole performance was brilliant.

Admittedly, the film didn't cast a terribly negative light on Nixon. It humanized him, if only for a few moments, and provided an subtle statement about the way media shapes our perceptions of things.

What did you think of the film?

Psionicist

Explorer
Frost/Nixon is awesome; the acting, the story, even the soundtrack/original score. A much more interesting movie in my opinion than Milk, which won best actor at the oscars (let's face it: Sean Penn is a really good actor, but he always does these difficult emotional movies, and we've seen this before in "21 grams" etc).

I'd say that if you like the movie adaptions of John Grishams novels, you will enjoy Frost/Nixon. Check it out.

Croesus

Adventurer
What did you think of the film?

1. Ron Howard should get an Oscar for directing. I really was on the edge of my seat at the climax, wondering just what Nixon would say, what he would reveal.

2. Frank Langella also deserves an Oscar. His performance was more forceful than Nixon was in the actual interview footage, but that's not a criticism. He did more to show the good and bad of Nixon, while keeping the man human, than any 20 books on the subject.

The best DVD I've seen this year.

Brown Jenkin

First Post
1. Ron Howard should get an Oscar for directing. I really was on the edge of my seat at the climax, wondering just what Nixon would say, what he would reveal.

The Best Director Oscar went to Danny Boyle for Slumdog Millionare.

2. Frank Langella also deserves an Oscar. His performance was more forceful than Nixon was in the actual interview footage, but that's not a criticism. He did more to show the good and bad of Nixon, while keeping the man human, than any 20 books on the subject.

The best DVD I've seen this year.

The Best Actor Oscar went to Sean Penn for Milk.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member

Not a fan of history then? Crap, I live in a different country, and I knew the ending. There's no drama in this movie; it's about the characterisation.

Have you read 20 books on the subject? Which 20 have you read?

I'd argue that Nixon was portrayed (through fictional personal scenes which weren't witnessed or filmed in real life) as more human than any existing evidence suggests. For example, Frost has repeatedly stated that the midnight drunken phone call call to his hotel room did not happen. As I understand it, that was required to get biographical data from certain real people. But it's a drama, not a biography.

Despite your opinion that it deserved the Academy Award, have you seen Slumdog Millionaire? I liked both movies a lot, but Millionaire was the better film.

Krug

Newshound
Great performance by Langella. Honestly I liked this as much as Slumdog, though I can see how Slumdog won because it went into relatively uncharted territory for Hollywood. Quite gripping and yes Nixon was definitely made more human; I'm sure Howard wanted to present him as a fallible person.

Remove ads