• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

FRP Games selling entire D&D miniature line

Magestrike

First Post
Another Minotaur

I have now bought 2 starters and 12 boosters, and out of those, I have gotten 4 Minotaurs. 4!!! I mean, they are cool and all, and are effective when I play the game, but not very useful when trying to complete a set...lol.

Oh well....thats the game when your an addict to the plastic crack...lol. Ill buy another pack tomorrow, and the next day, etc.

Mage

Dimwhit

Explorer
Man, reading this thread, I have newfound respect for the Wizards marketing machine. They're geniuses! :D

So are the minis any good as far as quality? Honestly now...

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
Dimwhit said:
Man, reading this thread, I have newfound respect for the Wizards marketing machine. They're geniuses! :D

So are the minis any good as far as quality? Honestly now...

I never bought minis until these came out. I have absolutely no talent for painting/assembling these kinds of things so this is the only way I would ever consider owning them.

None of the ones I have topple over or are in unusable shape. The quality is probably as good as can be expected from a small, plastic item.

But I warn you... Once you start buying them, you may want more...and more...and more.

Tom Cashel

First Post
Holy Bovine said:
58 X $10 = $580 with many, many duplicates.

But he also has 464 minis!

464 crappily-painted minis! I looked at a sample bunch in the store today.

Hoo, boy...they stink.

464 x crap = ZERO

Wombat

First Post
D'karr said:
It's funny how there where many naysayers whining that the randomized miniatures line was a bad idea and would never sell...

WotC announced recently that they had already gone over the 1,000,000 sold mark on these minis that were a bad idea and would never sell.

I wonder how that crow tastes?

Never thought they wouldn't sell, myself. I just looked at them, both as a collectible and as individual models, and decided "Never in a million years" for me personally

Then again, very few people (in the aggragate) seem the be buying the bulk of the minis, and that primarily as a collectable phenomenon

I'm not sure that really speaks well for the minis as minis, but only the minis as collectables

I still have heard of very few people locally (only one gaming group out of seven surveyed) that are using these minis for their games

I think we just have a few people who will buy anything labelled "Official D&D"

Wombat said:
Never thought they wouldn't sell, myself. I just looked at them, both as a collectible and as individual models, and decided "Never in a million years" for me personally

Then again, very few people (in the aggragate) seem the be buying the bulk of the minis, and that primarily as a collectable phenomenon

I'm not sure that really speaks well for the minis as minis, but only the minis as collectables

I just have a hard time understanding why anyone would want one of each type of mini. But i've never understood collecting anything.... What's the draw? What's creating the desire to have everyone?

joe b.

Asmo

First Post
jgbrowning wrote:

"I just have a hard time understanding why anyone would want one of each type of mini. But i've never understood collecting anything.... What's the draw? What's creating the desire to have everyone?"

I can´t answer that question for you. Hunters and collectors? I know I´m a collector,and always have been. As a kid I collected the most weird things and that lifestyle has followed me through my whole life. Then I discovered Magic:the Gathering. Not good. It´s a fantastic game, and the combination with playability and collectability is insane. I don´t even want to think how much money I´ve spent on Magic, but it´s far to much. I´ve tried to get away from it, but it´s really hard. It´s like a drug. I was never really good at MTG, but I love the MTG universe and the cool art,and the satisfaction when you got the last cards to complete a set can´t be denied..
It was 2 years since I bought cards, but then an old friend of mine got together to play some, and I thought it would fun. It was fun - far to fun. After that weekend it was like nothing had happened in the last years. I bought 5 out of stock boxes (Urzas Destiny among others) and started to trade and buy,like before.. sigh.. Now I´ve been able to pull the brakes again and stopped this madness, but it costed me about $ 1000. For a couple of months!!
And now I´m looking at the minis and I´m thinking "$ 275 for a complete set that´s not bad at all" :rolleyes:

Asmo

Tsyr

Explorer
D'karr said:
WotC announced recently that they had already gone over the 1,000,000 sold mark on these minis that were a bad idea and would never sell.

I wonder how that crow tastes?

To clarify:

I never said the randomization would kill it as a product line; if anything, my assertion was that Mage Knight would, as they were too similar a product. My gripe with randomization was that it was like a slap in the face to true DnD players. Further witness their somewhat terse and vague reasons for not putting out the orc packs and stuff, which sounds alot like "Sorry, you gamers dont matter enough".

carpedavid

First Post
Wombat said:
I think we just have a few people who will buy anything labelled "Official D&D"
Actually, if the typical mini purchaser is like me, we just have a few people who hate painting minis - both from a lack of time and skill. I think the paint jobs on these figures look just fine - especially since anything I paint ends up looking far worse.

As far as the randomization goes, I don't have too much of a problem with it. As a DM, I'm just looking to get a bunch of painted minis for a low price - and $1.25 per mini is far less than I'd pay for an unpainted, metal mini.

gfunk

First Post
jgbrowning said:
But i've never understood collecting anything.... What's the draw? What's creating the desire to have everyone?
I've gotta buy it!!
I've gotta buy it!!
I've gotta buy it!!

HAR--BRING--ER!!!

Remove ads