Frustrating Gamers- slight rant

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
Dark Eternal said:
Thanks again for the sig, Eric, and everyone have a great day! :D

If you're going to use that quote in your sig, you'd better move to Uncanny Dodge City cause Eric's gonna get ya... :p

officeronin

First Post
EricNoah said:

To you. (And I know, all of the other "X is this way" statements are your opinion, too.) But I think with a little work D&D can be more than that -- it can tell more kinds of stories than just the one kind. I mean, I like reading both "hard" and fantastical science fiction. Doesn't mean one is better than the other. Maybe I like some high magic in one campaign and like low magic in another. I don't have to be just one flavor.

Disagree. The high-level fighter who is able to just ignore the sword smack from a level one peasant who gets lucky is fantastic. D+D does not have a mechanic where the peasant can get lucky, and that makes it fantastic -- even if you get rid of all magic.

If you want "hard" roleplaying, play a skill-based system, not D+D. D+D is not good at everything, just as skill based systems are not good at everything.

OfficeRonin

EricNoah

Adventurer
officeronin said:

Disagree. The high-level fighter who is able to just ignore the sword smack from a level one peasant who gets lucky is fantastic. D+D does not have a mechanic where the peasant can get lucky, and that makes it fantastic -- even if you get rid of all magic.

If you want "hard" roleplaying, play a skill-based system, not D+D. D+D is not good at everything, just as skill based systems are not good at everything.

OfficeRonin

That's why I said "with a little work." You can use a wound/vitality system. You could use D20 modern's massive damage threshold system. You could say that for "Eric Noah's Low Magic Campaign now with 100% More Snootieness" 10th level is the highest anyone can go and that CR 13-14 monsters are the toughest in the land. You don't have to use ALL of the toolset, and you can swap in and out stuff with relative ease.

Now, I am not saying there aren't better systems for gritty play. I am saying that a D&D game doesn't HAVE to be played any one particular way. And I am saying that anyone who proclaims to know the one true way to play D&D is wrong.

And Gez -- if you were joking, then yes I fell for it. :)

Dark Eternal

First Post
Originally posted by EricNoah
You know, Dark Eternal, I have the power to give you a custom title that you might not like...

:eek: :D :p

Aw, Eric - you know I respect you! An' you gotta admit, it is kinda funny. And it's not unfair... you know it's not unfair... and...and...

*blink.* *blink.*

*sob*PLEASE don't hurt my poor title! PLEAaaassseee... *weep* *weep* *weep*

Originally posted by Diaglo
Sweet. Can I use it?

Actually, I like yours even better. Heh - now THAT's a unique sig!!!
lol! :D

Last edited:

Ironically, it seems the ones who often complain the most about "uncivility" and "snobishness" are the ones who are the most guilty of it, IMO. Not to implicate anyone specifically, but a personal pet peeve of mine are folks that show up on an online community, post rude or inflammatory comments, and then later pull the "I was only joking" routine, or the poor victim routine.

Again, not referring to anyone specifically here, or even specifically to enworld, but it's a trait that I've seen for years all over the internet.

Although if I can be specific for a minute, I take some umbrage to the position that low magic folks are snobs or elites. With the possible exception of Kaptain_Kantrip and his many "Harn Rulez!" posts, I don't know of anyone who acts like that. Rather, there are several folks who pop up and marginalize low magic people, claiming that they shouldn't even be playing D&D at all if that's what they want to do. :(

Remove ads