Ftr or War?

Kaptain_Kantrip

First Post
We always use PC classes so that the NPC opponents remain a bit of a challenge, even "red shirts." Never used warrior, probably never will. They just suck too much. YMMV.

Rogues for city watch is a good idea, BTW.

Last edited:

Lord Ben

First Post
I agree, I primarily use the fighter class too. If my characters use 32pt buy and want high-powered then the NPC's are higher powered too.

Darklone

Nah! :)

Kaptain_Kantrip said:
We always use PC classes so that the NPC opponents remain a bit of a challenge, even "red shirts." Never used warrior, probably never will. They just suck too much. YMMV.

I cut a thick part from the pride of our lvl5 barbarian when I bashed him like a little kid with a lvl6 warrior. That halforc had killed ogres till then with one charge attack but was not able to hit once in a real long combat.

The warrior used expertise and fighting defensively to raise his AC to very acceptable values and bashed the barbarian till the rage went off,... then he handed him his @ss on a silver plate.

Mal Malenkirk

First Post
Lord Ben said:
I agree, I primarily use the fighter class too. If my characters use 32pt buy and want high-powered then the NPC's are higher powered too.

Well, IMO it's the villains that should be high powered. Not the city guards.

I do not hesitate to use warrior NPCs built with 18 CP and no magic item to stand in the way of PCs built with 32 CP. Heroes and Villains are supposed to be rare. There is a reason why even the kings often ask help from heroes instead of simply sending the army.

As long as the villains of the campaign are built with 32+ CP and are commonly empowered by templates and minor evil artifacts, the PCs will be properly challenged.

I guess I'm heavily influenced by games such as Feng Shui and 7th Sea, but as far as I'm concerned a PC should not have much trouble handling a nameless mook under normal circumstances.

It might be funny to the DM but it's a primary cause of disastisfaction for a player. Not many players like having their a$$ served on a silver plate by nameless goon as posted by darklone.

If you are going to fall, you'd at least like the dignity of falling against a villain or a tough critter.

Remove ads