• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

FUDGE Dice shortages (Dresden Files)

N0Man

First Post
So, has anyone seemed to have noticed that there is a huge shortage of FUDGE style dice currently?

I finally got around to ordering my own copy of Spirit of the Century, and decided to pick up The Dresden Files too. Apparently I'm not the only one checking out the Dresden Files, because it seems every site I looked was out of FUDGE Dice.

I e-mailed Coolstuffinc.com (who has become my go-to gaming store) to ask about the dice and they seem to attribute the shortage to the Dresden Files as well.

So that brings me to a few questions:

1) Does anyone know of a good place to pick up Fudge-Style dice? (I know I could probably modify some 6-siders or maybe buy some blanks... and I haven't ruled that out yet but I'd like to have some more professional looking ones if possible).

2) Is Dresden Files really that good of a game that it's causing dice shortages? Or are they just a low supply item in general already?

3) Should I still even bother with Spirit of the Century, if they both run essentially the same game system? Will that book add much? I've never played Dresden, and only played SotC at cons (but loved it).

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
2) Is Dresden Files really that good of a game that it's causing dice shortages? Or are they just a low supply item in general already?
FUDGE dice were already in short supply. One person on Circvs Maximvs (I forget whom) mentioned that the first thing he did at GenCon was buy up all of the limited supply of FUDGE dice.

3) Should I still even bother with Spirit of the Century, if they both run essentially the same game system? Will that book add much? I've never played Dresden, and only played SotC at cons (but loved it).
It depends. The systems aren't identical, I don't think, but the real difference is the setting. SotC is 1930's era pulp action. Dresden is the contemporary world with magic, fey, some horror, etc., thrown in to the mix.

N0Man

First Post
It depends. The systems aren't identical, I don't think, but the real difference is the setting. SotC is 1930's era pulp action. Dresden is the contemporary world with magic, fey, some horror, etc., thrown in to the mix.

Sure, though I guess my question was really does SotC really have a lot of information on the setting, or is it more about the game system and assumes that as earthlings, we might already know about the 1930's or have sources readily available for "setting" information. ;-)

Forgive me if this question is naive or sounds stupid but I have not actually had much physical contact with the book. I've looked over the online SRD though, and I quite like the system.

Now with Dresden Files, I imagine that there is tons of setting information there (as it uses 2 books and I have read the warning that the game contains spoilers to book plots).

N0Man

First Post
I actually found one site that claimed to have *ONE* set of 4 white FUDGE dice... Sold out of every other color. I went ahead and bought those and many blanks in various colors. I guess I'll just be resorting to a permanent marker.

MachWerx

First Post
What a coincidence! I'm an iPhone app developer and I just recently implemented Fudge dice for my dice rolling app, "Mach Dice". I was doing a search to see if anyone uses them and I found this thread.

If you can't find physical Fudge dice to buy and you have an iPhone (or iPod Touch or iPad), then please check out my app and buy it on iTunes!

evilhat

Explorer
DFRPG accelerated the rate of buy-up of Fudge dice, past its already brisk pace. The manufacturer (Ann Dupuis from Grey Ghost Games) has been scrambling to try to keep up with the demand. Her supplier is in China, so there are some literal slow-boat-from-China issues going on here. Right now Ann is projecting the standard 5 color dice becoming available sometime in September, though it may take a while for them to make their way out into distribution.

As a part of this, Evil Hat struck a deal with Grey Ghost Games to get a second mold for Fudge Dice done. The current one is a "compression mold" and only supports the materials in the basic 5 colors (white/bone/blue/red/black). The new one is an injection mold and will support a wider variety. Dice from *that* mold should be available more towards the end of the year, and that will mean that Grey Ghost Games will be putting out a set of metallic hued fudge dice (copper/silver/gold) while Evil Hat will be doing a set of "wizard" themed dice (translucent red with yellow markings = hellfire, glow in the dark lime = ectoplasm, translucent blue = winter).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads