• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Full attack with thrown spear?

calypso15

Explorer
Spears are two handed weapons, but can they be thrown with one (I would assume so)? If you have Quick Draw, can you make a full attack as a full-round action and throw one spear for each of your iterative attacks?

Dross

Explorer
calypso15 said:
Spears are two handed weapons, but can they be thrown with one (I would assume so)? If you have Quick Draw, can you make a full attack as a full-round action and throw one spear for each of your iterative attacks?

I beleive so, as long as you can adequately get to each spear (i.e. not stored away in a non-scabard/quiver container).

I can't remember anything specifically saying "no" to this style.

Elephant

First Post
Hmm...that would be a somewhat interesting fighter-type to play. Full attack with spear with the last attack being a throw (when appropriate). Put the Returning enchantment on the spear and go to town!

calypso15

Explorer
Elephant said:
Hmm...that would be a somewhat interesting fighter-type to play. Full attack with spear with the last attack being a throw (when appropriate). Put the Returning enchantment on the spear and go to town!

Well, I ask on behalf of a greataxe-wielding minotaur with the Brutal Throw feat. I want to make sure that you can full-attack with thrown spears (assuming he switches his greataxe to one hand for the round), otherwise I'll downgrade him to shortspears.

The main reason I hesitate is because:

1) "Throwing a light or one-handed weapon is a standard action, while throwing a two-handed weapon is a full-round action."

2) Quick Draw: "A character who has selected this feat may throw weapons at his full normal rate of attacks (much like a character with a bow)."

It also never mentions if throw a two-handed weapon requires two hands, but it does seem to indicate that handedness (be it light, one, or two) is only used for melee weapons.

Calypso

javcs

First Post
Aren't those quotes from the section on throwing non-ranged weapons as improvise thrown weapons?

Edit: If you have iterative attacks and can easily access your spears, then yes, multiple spears are good to go.

calypso15

Explorer
javcs said:
Aren't those quotes from the section on throwing non-ranged weapons as improvise thrown weapons?

Huh. You know, you're right. I read that section a half-dozen times and misinterpreted it each time...

javcs

First Post
As it seems they are, then, they do not apply to throwing actual thrown weapons.

Therefore, full-attack away with your thrown spears. Assuming that it is ruled you can chuck them one handedly, and can reach them with ease.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
calypso15 said:
Huh. You know, you're right. I read that section a half-dozen times and misinterpreted it each time...

From memory, in 3E, that paragraph was ordered differently; throwing a two-handed weapon in 3E was a full-round action whether it was improvised or not.

They changed the order of the sentences in 3.5, and now it seems to only apply to improvised thrown weapons.

-Hyp.

Machiavelli

First Post
Either way, throwing weapons becomes a sub-par option when you have enough levels to acquire magically enhanced weapons. Throwing those is not usually smart, unless you use the "Returning" enhancement... which is a +1 that doesn't actually improve your weapon, it just lets you use it more than once.

In my opinion, the reason to take a sub-par option would be coolness factor (balanced against not pulling your weight in the party, if they chose better combat options), and "Returning" is anything but cool.

calypso15

Explorer
Machiavelli said:
In my opinion, the reason to take a sub-par option would be coolness factor (balanced against not pulling your weight in the party, if they chose better combat options), and "Returning" is anything but cool.

Yep, coolness factor is why my very high strength minotaur is taking Brutal Throw and a quiver of spears. He'll more than pull his weight with his greataxe, and even a masterwork spear is a decent option when your to-hit is +13 and the damage is 1d8+7 (at level 6). Plus, considering he's a sailor and survivalist, spears are great for fishing.

Calypso

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads