• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Full circle: D&D now being based on video games...

Doug McCrae

Legend
Emirikol said:
* Character abilities, even in the beginning, far outshines common folk (not necessarily a bad thing)
Pacman far outshines the common folk? He's just a mouth.
* Bling, bling, bling = character power (4E going where?)
Toward less bling bling but what's that got to do with video games?
* "Interaction" diminished, Mortal-Combat type combats on the rise (4E getting rid of the weasels you have to fight, now going right to the BBEG)
Dunno where you get this from.
* D&D 4E will probably not influence video game design in the least anymore
This is just conjecture.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Doug McCrae said:
Pacman far outshines the common folk? He's just a mouth.
It's a capitalist metaphor. The commoners are the dots.

"It's made of people! Soylent Dots is made of peeeeeeople!", -- N

KoshPWNZYou

First Post
Emirikol said:
Does anyone else now get the impression that things have come full circle and D&D is now being developed based on video game concepts of ease of play and depth of concepts?

No. No one. You're the first. :)

Sorry, couldn't resist.

BBQ

First Post
Emirikol said:
Remember when we used to say that video games had much of their content gained from D&D? Does anyone else now get the impression that things have come full circle and D&D is now being developed based on video game concepts of ease of play and depth of concepts?

For example:
* Character abilities, even in the beginning, far outshines common folk (not necessarily a bad thing)
* Bling, bling, bling = character power (4E going where?)
* D&D becomming more computer adaptable
* "Interaction" diminished, Mortal-Combat type combats on the rise (4E getting rid of the weasels you have to fight, now going right to the BBEG)
* D&D 4E will probably not influence video game design in the least anymore

First Point: A 1st level rogue next to a 1st level expert in 3e? A 1st level fighter, or paladin, or barbarian, or ranger, next to a 1st level warrior in 3e? This has been going on for a long time. I still remember 2e and 1e... 0 level commoners... even a prince could supposedly be 0 level... so, seriously, it's nothing new.

Second Point: Bling? What? They're eliminating the concept of characters dripping magical items and I couldn't be happier. The characters will still get magic items, but they'll be magic items that actually count for something.

Third Point: Baldur's Gate series, Neverwinter Nights series, Temple of Elemental Evil, D&D Online, D&D Dragonshard... this is nothing new. I love the online gaming concept. I travel a lot, and I want to still be around for gaming too, so this works out awesome.

Fourth Point: Ummm... where'd you get this information? Can you cite a source? As I recall, there will be goblins and kobolds and any manner of low-level goons to take on before the big foes, same as there ever was.

Fifth Point: D&D has always had an influence on other entertainment venues, and will continue to do so. However, the game designers do not live in a vacuum, and they will be influenced by other cool stuff they see/read/watch/play. This will influence, naturally, how they design things and what they do, even if they do it subconsciously. It's just how things go when you're a writer. My writing is influenced by my D&D game, but it's also influenced by video games, movies, and novels.

Viva 4e!

The Little Raven

First Post
Nifft said:
It's a capitalist metaphor. The commoners are the dots.

"It's made of people! Soylent Dots is made of peeeeeeople!", -- N

"If Pacman had affected us as kids we'd be running around in dark rooms, munching pills and listening to electronic music."

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Mourn said:
"If Pacman had affected us as kids we'd be running around in dark rooms, munching pills and listening to electronic music."
-20 points for missing name of speaker, -50 points for missing company represented by person named, -100 points for missing [uyear[/u] (which really nails the joke).

So you get -169, which is still kinda hot.

Cheers, -- N

The Little Raven

First Post
Nifft said:
-20 points for missing name of speaker, -50 points for missing company represented by person named, -100 points for missing [uyear[/u] (which really nails the joke).

So you get -169, which is still kinda hot.

Cheers, -- N

Well, I do have a reputation as a negative person, so it is rather fitting.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Just for the full impact:

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids,we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo Public Relations, 1989.

(But really it's from this guy.)

Cheers, -- N

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads