Fully Advanced Monsters (was Ultimate Evil: The Fully Advanced Balor)

Shade

Monster Junkie
I agree on the disease and poison issue, although the DCs aren't bad. I was trying to do a faithful advancement. As far as I can tell, poison and disease never get more deadly, only harder to resist, as a creature is advanced.

Also, I've noticed that spell-like abilities are nearly worthless at epic levels. Since the save DCs are 10 + Cha modifier + spell level, they'll never be even remotely on par with the save DCs of other special abilities, or with saving throws at those levels.

the Jester

Legend
Shade said:
I agree on the disease and poison issue, although the DCs aren't bad. I was trying to do a faithful advancement. As far as I can tell, poison and disease never get more deadly, only harder to resist, as a creature is advanced.

Also, I've noticed that spell-like abilities are nearly worthless at epic levels. Since the save DCs are 10 + Cha modifier + spell level, they'll never be even remotely on par with the save DCs of other special abilities, or with saving throws at those levels.

Perhaps spend some of that loot to boost the creature's Cha to astronomical levels? Remember, it gains a stat increase every four levels too... I could see one having used a +5 book, plus having an epic-level +10 item or so... that helps it even out a little bit.

Krishnath

First Post
I prefer choosing treasure that will give the advanced creature access to new abilities, such as Rods, Staves, Wands, and wonderous items. As can be seen with Yerashyu (the advanced cornugon), fully advanced outsiders should be treated as unique beings IMHO, as they are the best of the best of their kind, thus it is a good idea to choose their treasure, even if you (like me) chooses their treasure randomly (yes I actually did that), I make sure to figure out what the treasure of a creature with their CR should be worth in gp and making sure that the treasures total value is not larger than what a creature with the appropriate CR should have. It is also easy to calculate odd treasure lines with this system.
For example the cornugon has standard coins, double goods, and standard items, I simply increased the 'treasure gp roof' by 33% before determining the treasure.

Note that none of the cornugons treasure is epic, as I feel epic items should be nigh unique.

Btw, the Pit Fiend is cool but the treasure value should be 587860 gp. ;)

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
i remember making a fully advanced solar when 3E first came out... JUST to see what would happen. :D

Ferret

Explorer
Whilst all of you have cornered good and bad, the balance must be preserved.

Indra
Huge Construct (Extraplanar, Lawful)
Hit Dice: 45d10+40 (292 hp)
Initiative: +1
Speed: 30 ft. in full plate armour (6 squares); base speed 40 ft.
Armour Class: 36 (–2 size, +1 Dex, +19 natural, +8 full plate armour), touch 9, flat-footed 36
Base Attack/Grapple: +33/+61
Attack: Slam +49 melee (4d6+20 19-20 plus 3d6 sonic or 3d6 electricity)
Full Attack: 2 slams +49 melee (4d6+20 19-20 plus 3d6 sonic or 3d6 electricity)
Space/Reach: 10 ft. /10 ft.
Special Attacks: Fists of thunder and lightning, spell-like abilities
Special Qualities: Construct traits, damage reduction 15/chaotic, darkvision 60 ft., fast healing 10, low-light vision, spell resistance 25
Saves: Fort +17, Ref +16, Will +18
Abilities: Str 50, Dex 12, Con —, Int 12, Wis 17, Cha 18
Skills: Concentration +25, Diplomacy +25, Knowledge (religion) +16, Listen +30, Search +15, Sense Motive +25, Spot +30, Survival +10 (+12 following tracks)

Feats: Ability Focus (fists), Awesome Blow, Combat Casting, Combat reflexes, Cleave, Great cleave, Great Fortitude, Greater Spell penetration, Improved Bull Rush, Improved critical (slam), Improved natural attack (slam), Improved Sunder, Quicken Spell-like ability (Plane shift), Power Attack, Spell penetration

Environment: A lawful-aligned plane
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 15
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always lawful neutral
Advancement: —
Level Adjustment: —

Those who have gain too much power by necromantic means, to be stop by ordinary Maruts. Great liches are hunted by these gigantic inevitables.

Those who wish to perverse the laws of nature; by creating army’s of undead or liches too powerful for normal control. The only way that returning the dead to life would draw one of these monolith’s attention is if they repeatedly revived beings of great power.

Combat
Any creature that can invite the attention of an Indra deserves, in this inevitable’s eyes, equal force. It typically uses wall of force to shut off any escape routes, then opens up with chain lightning while it closes to melee range. Once there, it strikes with its massive fists, using circle of death if beset by numbers of defenders. It hits spell casting opponents with repeated uses of greater dispel magic, and it uses dimension door and locate creature to track down foes who flee. In the freak chance it is over powered it uses a quickened plane shift, to recruit Maruts to aid it.

An Indra’s natural weapons, as well as any weapons it wields, are treated as lawful-aligned for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.

Fists of Thunder and Lightning (Su): A Indra’s left fist delivers a loud thunderclap whenever it hits something, dealing an extra 3d6 points of sonic damage and causing the target to be deafened for 2d6 rounds (Fortitude DC 52 negates the deafness). Its right fist delivers a shock for an extra 3d6 points of electricity damage, and the flash of lightning causes the target to be blinded for 2d6 rounds (Fortitude DC 52 negates the blindness). The save DCs are Strength-based and include the Indra’s Ability Focus feat.

Spell-Like Abilities: At will—air walk, dimension door, fear (DC 18), greater command (DC 19), greater dispel magic, mass inflict light wounds (DC 19), locate creature, true seeing; 1/day—chain lightning (DC 20), circle of death (DC 20), mark of justice, wall of force; 1/week— earthquake (DC 22), geas/quest, plane shift (DC 21). Caster level 45th. The save DCs are Charisma-based.

Skills: An Indra has a +4 racial bonus on Concentration, Listen, and Spot checks.

Ok it doesn't compare to the fiends but its cool.

Last edited:

Shade

Monster Junkie
Krishnath said:
Btw, the Pit Fiend is cool but the treasure value should be 587860 gp. ;)

Duly noted. :)

BOZ said:
i remember making a fully advanced solar when 3E first came out... JUST to see what would happen. :D

That was sorta why I did it, and also to see if the archfiends and celestial paragons were underpowered.

Ferret -- Very nice! Neutrality is representing well. ;)

Shade

Monster Junkie
Wow, this guy took much longer than I expected to finish up.

Angel, Solar (Fully Advanced)
Huge Outsider (Angel, Extraplanar, Good)
Hit Dice: 66d8+528 (825 hp)
Initiative: +8
Speed: 50 ft. (10 squares), fly 150 ft. (good)
Armor Class: 36 (-2 size, +4 Dex, +24 natural), touch 12, flat-footed 32
Base Attack/Grapple: +66/+87
Attack: +5 dancing holy power greatsword +83 melee (4d6+24/19-20 plus 3d6 holy [+6d6 on critical hit]) or +5 composite longbow (+5 Str bonus) +73 ranged (3d6+10/x3 plus slaying) or slam +83 melee (3d8+13)
Full Attack: +5 dancing holy power greatsword +83/+78/+73/+68 melee (4d6+24/19-20 plus 3d6 holy [+6d6 on critical hit]) or +5 composite longbow (+5 Str bonus) +73/+68/+63/+58 ranged (3d6+10/×3 plus slaying) or slam +83 melee (3d8+13)
Space/Reach: 15 ft./15 ft.
Special Attacks: Spell-like abilities, spells
Special Qualities: Damage reduction 15/epic and evil, darkvision 60 ft., low-light vision, immunity to acid, cold, and petrification, protective aura, regeneration 15, resistance to electricity 10 and fire 10, spell resistance 41, tongues
Saves: Fort +43 (+47 against poison), Ref +39, Will +44
Abilities: Str 38, Dex 18, Con 26, Int 24, Wis 28, Cha 28 (plus 11 increases, 2 on Str, 2 on Con, 1 on Int, 3 on Wis, 3 on Cha)
Skills: Concentration +77, Diplomacy +80, Escape Artist +73, Hide +65, Intimidate +78, Jump +27, Knowledge (arcana) +76, Knowledge (religion) +76, Knowledge (the planes) +76, Listen +78, Move Silently +73, Search +76, Sense Motive +76, Spellcraft +79, Spot +78, Survival +9 (+11 following tracks, +11 on other planes), Use Magic Device +51 (+53 scrolls), Use Rope +4 (+6 with bindings) Total 966+42 (Int raised at 24 HD)
Feats: Cleave, Dodge, Empower Spell, Great Cleave, Heighten Spell, Improved Initiative, Improved Sunder, Maximize Spell, Quicken Spell, Mobility, Power Attack, Track
Epic Feats: Automatic Quicken Spell (x3), Epic Spellcasting, Improved Metamagic, Improved Spell Capacity (x5), Intensify Spell (16 total, 5 spent on nonepic)
Environment: Any good-aligned plane
Organization: Solitary or pair
Challenge Rating: 45
Treasure: No coins; double goods; standard items
Alignment: Always good (any)
Advancement: -
Level Adjustment: --

The creature resembles a towering, powerfully built human with brilliant topaz eyes, golden skin, and gleaming white wings.

Solars of such power are incredibly rare. They rank among the most powerful beings in the multiverse, often rivaling or even eclipsing the power of the deities they serve. Despite their great power, they serve their deities faithfully, often performing the most dangerous missions imaginable. They are often referred to as "archangels".

A greater solar stands about 18 feet tall. It weighs about 2,000 pounds.

Combat

Like lesser solars, these beings fight tirelessly for good causes, wielding mighty +5 dancing holy power greatswords and +5 composite longbows that create any sort of slaying arrow when drawn.

A solar's natural weapons, as well as any weapons it wields, are treated as good-aligned and epic for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.

Protective Aura (Su): Against attacks made or effects created by evil creatures, this ability provides a +4 deflection bonus to AC and a +4 resistance bonus on saving throws to anyone within 20 feet of the angel. Otherwise, it functions as a magic circle against evil effect and a lesser globe of invulnerability, both with a radius of 20 feet (caster level 20th). This aura can be dispelled, but the angel can create it again as a free action on its next turn. (The defensive benefits from the circle are not included in an angel’s statistics block.)

Regeneration (Ex): A solar takes damage from epic evil-aligned weapons and from spells and effects with the evil descriptor.

Spell-Like Abilities: At will aid, animate objects, commune, continual flame, dimensional anchor, greater dispel magic, holy smite (DC 23), imprisonment (DC 28), invisibility (self only), lesser restoration (DC 21), polymorph (self only), power word stun, remove curse (DC 22), remove disease (DC 22), remove fear (DC 20), resist energy, summon monster VII, speak with dead (DC 22), waves of fatigue; 3/day--blade barrier (DC 25), earthquake (DC 27), heal (DC 25), mass charm monster (DC 27), permanency, resurrection, waves of exhaustion; 1/day--greater restoration (DC 26), power word, blind, power word, kill, power word, stun, prismatic spray (DC 26), wish. Caster level 20th. The save DCs are Charisma-based.

The following abilities are always active on the solar's person, as the spells (caster level 20th); detect evil, detect snares and pits, discern lies (DC 23), see invisibility, and true seeing. They can be dispelled, but the solar can reactivate them as a free action.

Spells: Solars can cast divine spells as 20th-level clerics. A solar has access to two of the following domains: Air, Destruction, Good, Law, or War (plus any others from its deity). The save DCs are Wisdom-based.

Typical Cleric Spells Prepared (6/9/8/8/8/8/6/6/6/6/1/1/1/1/1; save DC 19 + spell level): 0--create water, detect magic, guidance (2), resistance (2); 1st--bless (3), cause fear, divine favor (2), entropic shield, obscuring mist*, shield of faith; 2nd--align weapon, bear's endurance (2), bull's strength (2), consecrate, eagle's splendor, spiritual weapon*; 3rd--daylight, invisibility purge, magic circle against evil, magic vestment*, prayer (2), protection from energy, wind wall; 4th--death ward (3), dismissal (2), divine power*, neutralize poison (2); 5th--break enchantment, control winds*, dispel evil (2), plane shift, righteous might (2), symbol of pain; 6th--banishment, chain lightning*, heroes' feast, mass cure moderate wounds, undeath to death, word of recall; 7th--control weather*, destruction, dictum, ethereal jaunt, holy word, regenerate; 8th--fire storm, heightened banishment, holy aura, mass cure critical wounds (2), whirlwind*; 9th--etherealness, elemental swarm (air)*, mass heal (2), miracle, storm of vengeance; 10th--maximized mass cure critical wounds; 11th--intensified flame strike; 12th--empowered maximized storm of vengeance; 13th--heightened destruction; 14th--intensified fire storm.

*Domain spell. Domains: Air and Water.

Epic Spells per Day: 6. Save DCs are 29.

Epic Spells Known: contingent ressurection, epic mage armor, nailed to the sky, superb dispelling.

Tongues (Su): All angels can speak with any creature that has a language, as though using a tongues spell (caster level 20th). This ability is always active.

Remove ads