• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fun idea - Potion of invincibility

CTurbo

Explorer
Drinking this potion gives you 2d4 or 1d4+1 minutes of complete immunity to all damage and all mental conditions like charmed, frightened, etc...

I know it's WAY OP but think of the RP potential. You can walk right in an Ancient red dragon's lair and ignore him as you steal some of his loot, or walk right up to him and punk him :D

I think I'm going to use this the next time I DM. The problem is figuring out how to have somebody in the group acquire such a thing. Of course it would be a one time thing never to be seen again. I think it would be a lot of fun to see what somebody comes up with. Just try not to get restrained lol

Last edited by a moderator:

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
Drinking this potion gives you 2d4 or 1d4+1 minutes of complete immunity to all damage and all mental conditions like charmed, frightened, etc...

I know it's WAY OP but think of the RP potential. You can walk right in an Ancient red dragon's lair and ignore him as you steal some of his loot, or walk right up to him and punk him :D

I think I'm going to use this the next time I DM. The problem is figuring out how to have somebody in the group acquire such a thing. Of course it would be a one time thing never to be seen again. I think it would be a lot of fun to see what somebody comes up with. Just try not to get restrained lol

I find the term "overpowered" to be meaningless. Nothing is overpowered for a DM or group that knows how to handle things.

I like your potion idea. Drawing off your red dragon example: such a potion could also provide protection on, say, the Elemental Plane of Fire, or against an archdemon. You just better hope you can get your deeds done in 16 minutes or less, and be aware that you just made a significant and powerful enemy.

It's certainly an item that you could include. It may even be necessary, to complete an otherwise-impossible quest.

I included a potion in my last campaign which acted as a combination of resistance to all damage, flight, fire giant strength, and haste (for one hour), in addition to working as a Heal spell. The battle inside the volcano would have been much more difficult without them.

gantzerteo

Explorer
From what you said nothing prevent the dragon to grapple the invincible guy and throw him away. Sure no damage but he will not hurt the dragon or steal anything with the invincibility as his only op power.

Ps: Obviously Legendary rarity.

Shiroiken

Legend
From what you said nothing prevent the dragon to grapple the invincible guy and throw him away. Sure no damage but he will not hurt the dragon or steal anything with the invincibility as his only op power.
Actually, Grappled is a condition, so the imbiber would be immune. However, the dragon could just block the entrance in some way, keeping them from leaving until the potion wears off...

Actually, Grappled is a condition, so the imbiber would be immune. However, the dragon could just block the entrance in some way, keeping them from leaving until the potion wears off...

It's not a mental condition. The OP didn't say anything about physical condition immunity, and "immunity" to being grappled doesn't make thematic sense anyway as a function of invulnerability.

CTurbo

Explorer
Yeah restraining the character would be the weakness. The dragon could indeed grapple, restrain, and/or remove the character if it tried. Would it try that? Maybe. I would probably role the % die to see. I know if it were me, I would hope to have some kind of teleportation spell in my pocket.

AnimeSniper

Explorer
Much potential here and a few pranks that could be done to the unwary player carrying... "OH NO!! The potion splattered all of my gear well no harm now onward to the Princesses Party!" ... that is till it activates and said player is now imitating the Emperors New Clothes motif!

As few being the only one in existence let the party find the recipe so they could brew more... of course make it with some uber rare blossoms once a year ingredient!

Remove ads