Fun Kickstarter Stats

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Fun Kickstarter stats. I have a big spreadsheet full of data points from the 46 Kickstarters we’ve run. On average the following are true based on that data.

1. A project makes a third of its final total in the first 24 hours.

2. A project makes half of its final total in the first 5 days.

3. A project ends with about 120% of the backers as it had pre-launch followers (this assumes you use the pre-launch KS page for a couple of weeks or more).

4. Backerkit marketing on Facebook is usually good for about a 10% boost overall.

5. The traditional U shape curve for funding has been a reverse J for a long time now. The final boost is much smaller than the initial launch these days (partly because people are better at launching).

Obviously these are averages. Things can vary around that, but we’ve found ours don’t by much.

We very much stack the launch by using the Backerkit Launch service so ours may be quite front-loaded.

mamba

Legend
1. A project makes a third of its final total in the first 24 hours.

2. A project makes half of its final total in the first 5 days.
I tend to go with 2.5 times the first two days (used to be three times, but as you noted it no longer is as much of a U shape, might even have to revise it down further).

Thanks for sharing! Campaigns becoming heavily front-loaded due to pre-campaign marketing is something I have definitely noticed, too.
Also, I'm seeing a lot more advertising for TTRPGs on Facebook and Instagram (but that's maybe also because the algorithm has picked up my preferences better than it used to).

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Thanks for sharing! Campaigns becoming heavily front-loaded due to pre-campaign marketing is something I have definitely noticed, too.
Also, I'm seeing a lot more advertising for TTRPGs on Facebook and Instagram (but that's maybe also because the algorithm has picked up my preferences better than it used to).
That’s the Backerkit marketing I was referring to. It’s a service Backerkit provides, managing Facebook ad campaigns for your Kickstarter campaign duration. It’s a popular service and a lot of KS creators use it.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
That’s the Backerkit marketing I was referring to. It’s a service Backerkit provides, managing Facebook ad campaigns for your Kickstarter campaign duration. It’s a popular service and a lot of KS creators use it.
As a customer, not a campaign-runner, I find the Backerkit ads tend to be a lot more useful than the Jellop ads on YouTube, which often seem to be factually inaccurate about the campaigns they're promoting -- sometimes wildly so.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Do you have any data on how the duration of the campaign affects things?
We have two durations—the full month for a regular Kickstarter, and then 10 days for our mini quickstarters. We don’t really vary the duration so not much data on how it affects things.

Remove ads