• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fun uses for Flavor Cantrips?

ChrisCarlson

First Post
...Your mileage might vary depending on your DM, suffice to say.
Then it would seem an odd stance to try and discount or marginalize my take on the rules, supplanting them with your own interpretation, in an effort to "correct" me. Weird.

Anyway...

Between my bard's prestidigitation and the cleric's [/i]purify food and drink[/i], We can no only stomach eating just about anything down here in the underdark, but actually enjoy it.

Gregory Setnik

First Post
One time, I used Thaumaturgy's ability to change the color of a flame to create a black light to search for bodily fluids. The DM was cool with it; didn't find anything, but I felt like a badass.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
If you have one of these fun cantrips and Message, ask your DM if you can cast the other cantrip inside the Message. Aim the Message spell at one of your friends. They will hear you normally but the target of your other spell will get only a soft whisper. Your friends know you are up to something, but the target probably won't.

I'm also using Message for a 'Prophet of Silence' NPC. The only thing he will say aloud (so far) is the key word of Command spells.

Cast an Illusion on your Defender to make him look like an Ogre or other big tough monster. Use Thaumaturgy to make the floor shake when his foot lands on the floor as part of his step (like he really is super heavy). Cue the 'glass of water' scene from original Jurassic Park. Have him burst dramatically in the door.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Another dirty trick inspired by Shape Water:
Enemies are charging across frozen lake to get PCs. Plant a Shatter on the ice under their feet, to get as many as possible. They should fall into the freezing-cold (and hopefully deeper than they are tall) lake.
Cast Mending on the hole in the ice - this will repair the ice surface. With them down below.
Cast Shape Water on the ice to
(a) pile up more water for them to have to swim up through to reach air. -OR-
(b) shove them and the surface down below the general level of the ice, so even if they get to the surface they are still down in a hole and probably don't have line of sight to you.

In the best case you have several enemies more interested in trying to save their personal selves from drowning/freezing than in trying to mess with you.

rgoodbb

Adventurer
Old thread but....

Prestidigitation.

Cast three red dots on a guard's chest and move them about

Tell the guard that you have three mage snipers trained on them

Advise them to letting you through.

(Works best for Bard with expertise in Deception/Intimidation)

Thurmas

Explorer
Love Prestidigitation.

I soiled a man's pants and convinced the crowd he pissed himself in fear, causing them to take my side in the argument.

I flavored a sword as bloody meat and tossed it into a pool of water so the shark would eat it. Ended badly for the shark.

I immediately walk out of all battles clean and sparkly fresh.

I use it to keep my jacket a toasty warm temperature in cold climates.

Nevvur

Explorer
I very generous in allowing thaumaturgy to provide advantage on Charisma (Intimidation) checks if the player basically even makes an attempt.

I run a world where magic is a bit rarer than some, so causing your voice to boom supernaturally loud, a tremor to shake the ground, your eyes to turn jet black, or similar things when you try to Intimidate someone is a pretty powerful boost versus most people.

Ditto.

Incidentally, it's also a good way to provoke a mob into forming and getting run out of town.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
it's also a good way to provoke a mob into forming and getting run out of town.
Not if you use the cantrips on somebody who has bad credibility anyways - for instance, while interrogating a criminal. Plus you can 'borrow' credibility (and protection) from The Authorities.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads