Fun vs balance [poll]

Fun vs balance

• Balance is the most important. Fun has to be done within that balanced window

Votes: 7 8.6%
  • Balance is important, but occasionally override rules to allow more fun

Votes: 25 30.9%
  • Override the rules for fun, unless it's obviously game breaking

Votes: 23 28.4%
  • Fun always, even if it breaks the game or causes major imbalance between PCs

Votes: 8 9.9%
  • Other

Votes: 18 22.2%

Thomas Shey

Legend
I do not believe in such a thing as balance in RPGs.
The mechanics of the game have to be plausible for the fiction of the campaign and produce enjoyable gameplay. That's really the only things that matter.

The problem with that, as I've mentioned before is that a lack of balance for many people does not create enjoyable gameplay. Quite the opposite.

aramis erak

Legend
I do not believe in such a thing as balance in RPGs.
The mechanics of the game have to be plausible for the fiction of the campaign and produce enjoyable gameplay. That's really the only things that matter.
That's playstyle dependent. Remember, some of us treat some RPGs as barely more than boardgames. (in my case, D&D OE, AD&D 1E/2E, D&D 3E and 5E are treated as miniatures combat games with explication of why the fight happens.)
In a purely combat focused campaign, the balance portion not only is possible, it's practical and useful.
The problem with that, as I've mentioned before is that a lack of balance for many people does not create enjoyable gameplay. Quite the opposite.
I'm one of those who likes at least a bit of balance on the power curve for PCs.
I also like rules that make the core competencies take about the same level of table-time to resolve across archetypes, when there are such.
I'm less picky about balanced encounters, but I like it when they work (and for me, D&D 5E's work rather well, but a poorly explicated in the rules. Note also, many mistake a deadly encounter level for a "This should TPK" - it's not that, it's someone on the PC side should be very close to or actually making death saves...).

Remove ads