• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fun While Prone

rushlight

Roll for Initiative!
So, while fighting some Grey Wolves, several party members spent a decent amount of time faceplanted in the dirt. All that prone-action caused some confusion. First, being prone has no effect on your ability to attack, although you do so at a penalty. Does this mean that you still threaten the squares around you? If so, being prone doesn't allow enemies to slip by without OAs. Second, can you take a shift action while prone? Or can you just crawl? Crawling provokes OAs, so does the shift give an OA since you're on the ground? Or does being prone have no effects on combat other than the application of to-hit penalties?

Thanks everyone for your help!

rushl

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Does this mean that you still threaten the squares around you? If so, being prone doesn't allow enemies to slip by without OAs.

Right.

Second, can you take a shift action while prone? Or can you just crawl?

Crawl, teleport, or forced movement only. No walking, running, charging, or shifting.

Check the PHB errata on prone.

-Hyp.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Just wondering, what else did you mean by has no effect on your ability to attack.

No effect on your status of "Able to make an attack" vs "Unable to make an attack".

If you were able to make an attack before you were prone, being prone does not make you unable to make an attack.

If you were unable to make an attack before you were prone, being prone does not make you able to make an attack.

-Hyp.

yu gnomi

Explorer
So, I asked a question like the following one weeks ago in a thread about Prone movement.

How does Fighter power "Come and Get it" affect enemies who are prone?

The answer I got (at least the answer I liked best) was that they crawl towards the Fighter, unless difficult terrain or obstacles (incl. creatures) prevent them from reaching a square adjacent to Fighter.

Does PHB update change this?

Obscure

First Post
So, I asked a question like the following one weeks ago in a thread about Prone movement.

The answer I got (at least the answer I liked best) was that they crawl towards the Fighter, unless difficult terrain or obstacles (incl. creatures) prevent them from reaching a square adjacent to Fighter.

The enemies affected by "Come and Get It" must "shift 2" and end adjacent to the fighter, but prone creatures cannot shift (PHB errata), so they are not affected by the power.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...

At the time, people were generalising from Crawl (move at half speed), and assuming that if you were Prone, Shift 2 would let you "move at half speed" - shift one square.

The update says you can't move from your square, unless you crawl or teleport; therefore you are unable to shift. Come And Get It tells you to shift, but you can't... just as you couldn't shift if you were immobilised.

-Hyp.

yu gnomi

Explorer
Frankly, I am against monsters benefiting from being knocked prone. I would rather interpret it as they stand up and shift normally.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Frankly, I am against monsters benefiting from being knocked prone. I would rather interpret it as they stand up and shift normally.

And if they're immobilised or stunned? They shake it off and shift normally?

Doesn't the monster getting a free "stand up from prone" action mean he's benefitting from being Come-And-Get-Itted?

-Hyp.

Remove ads