Fun with Telekinesis

Particle_Man

Explorer
Regarding the Ranger with the arrow, I suggest you use telekinesis on ALL the arrows in the ranger's quiver, and send them either against the ranger's buddy for massive damage, or against a far off wall to wreck them. Then, at best, the ranger is left with one measly arrow. And if you are quick enough, you could get that too, as well as all the Ranger's meelee weapons, throwable weapons, etc.

Telekinesis is the ULTIMATE disarming device. :)

LokiDR

First Post
Particle_Man said:
Regarding the Ranger with the arrow, I suggest you use telekinesis on ALL the arrows in the ranger's quiver, and send them either against the ranger's buddy for massive damage, or against a far off wall to wreck them. Then, at best, the ranger is left with one measly arrow. And if you are quick enough, you could get that too, as well as all the Ranger's meelee weapons, throwable weapons, etc.

Telekinesis is the ULTIMATE disarming device. :)

Not quite. If the psion power matches the spell, there is a will save to affect objects on another character. Once the arrow is in flight, it is an unattended object. Also, when you use violent thrust, it affects all objects in a set area. You would end up throwing the archer, if you could.

Particle_Man

Explorer
LokiDR said:

Not quite. If the psion power matches the spell, there is a will save to affect objects on another character. Once the arrow is in flight, it is an unattended object. Also, when you use violent thrust, it affects all objects in a set area. You would end up throwing the archer, if you could.

I agree with the will save part, but note that the will save for rangers is their bad save, not their good save.

I disagree with the idea that telekinesis has to affect "all" objects in a set area. The spell seems to affect "one or more" objects, it does not say "all" objects in the 10' area are affected. This to me indicates that the caster can choose which objects within the area get affected, so long as all of the objects which you want to affect are within a 10 foot diameter area, and the wearer/holder of the objects (if the objects are attended) fails a will save. Thus I could choose to throw the ranger's ammo and weaponry (if the ranger fails a will save) but choose not to throw the ranger or the ranger's helmet.

So while the spell says that all objects that are affected must be within 10' of each other, it does not say that all objects within 10' of each other must be affected.

I reproduce the relevent bits of the SRD below

Violent Thrust: Alternatively, the spell energy can be expended in a single round. The character can hurl one or more objects or creatures who are within range and all within 10 feet of each other toward any target within 10 feet/level of all the objects. The character can hurl up to a total weight of 25 pounds per caster level.

Creatures who fall within the weight capacity of the spell can be hurled, but they are allowed Will saves to negate the effect, as are those whose held possessions are targeted by the spell.

Particle_Man

Explorer
I'm too sexy for my spell

That said, I have heard the in 3.5 telekinesis will be changed so that you can only affect a max. of 1 item/level when you do the violent thrust.

So enjoy the munchkin cheesiness of thousands of shuriken, arrows, crossbow bolts, etc. while you can. :)

DM_Matt

First Post
Hosabout you dont push away the arrow OR the ranger OR all the bows, but rather use violent thrust to move the archer to the square in front of you party tank, then have the tank hit him with a full attack action AND an AoO.

Alternatively, If you have power touch and have a weapon in one hand just 'cuz, you can hav ehim come to you and hit him with a dissolving touch (7d6), plus anytinhg else you have manefested on your hands (Claws of the Vamp, Talons, Painful Touch, Metaphysical Body, DIssolving Touch come together to deal 8d6+1d8+4+Str bonus if any+heals you some).

LordAO

First Post
Re: I'm too sexy for my spell

Particle_Man said:
That said, I have heard the in 3.5 telekinesis will be changed so that you can only affect a max. of 1 item/level when you do the violent thrust.

So enjoy the munchkin cheesiness of thousands of shuriken, arrows, crossbow bolts, etc. while you can. :)

Funny, I thought that was the rule all along. Now that I know otherwise, I'm glad it will soon be changed.

Remove ads