• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Funniest Rod of Wonder story..... ever.

ChimericDream

First Post
Ok, so I'm running the WLD, and the party has gotten hold of a Rod of Wonder. At the beginning of tonight's session, the Wizard (who is was carrying the Rod) asked about the 66-69 result, which is something to the effect of "Wielder turns 1/12 size (no save)". I ruled that it would be an instantaneous effect, so wouldn't be able to be dispelled. The party all had a good laugh and joked about it happening multiple times (at which point I said that twice was the limit... the third time he'd simply disappear).

Well, during combat (barely an *hour* after joking about all this) the Wizard got a 66 and 68 in consecutive rounds with the Rod. We now have a 1/2" tall Wizard who cannot feasibly move through the dungeon without help. I lost control of the party for a good ten minutes while we all laughed until we cried.

Needless to say, this is one of the most random things I've EVER seen happen in a game, and to top it all off, the person sitting next to the one playing the Wizard made an off-hand comment right before the second roll and said, "Now you just need to roll a 68."..... and then a 68 came up.

After the combat was over, the paladin promptly picked up the rod and rolled a 63....

Edit: So my g/f is a math major, and I asked the probability of rolling a 4% in two consecutive rolls..... 1/625.

Last edited:

Dominic Ladon

First Post
Hello All,

Alexander Ladon the 1/2" Wizard here, and aside from this being the best night of Dungeons and Dragons that I have ever played, I would just like to say that I very much look forward to taking every advantage of the +38 that I now get to my hide check.

As a question of interest though...

Which should I choose as a method of getting around the dungeon? (Keep in mind that this is the World's LARGEST Dungeon)

a. Continue riding on the Rogue and Ranger to the end...

b. Obtain a Pseudodragon, Screech Owl, or Thrush Familiar (Pending DM Approval)...

or c. Create a Carpet of Flying that is the size of a coaster?

Any opinions will be greatly appreciated and evaluated.

Templetroll

Explorer
Dominic Ladon said:
I'll have to ask my DM if I can become a 1/2" tall demon. Though I must admit I do like the idea. :D

That reminds me of an episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. "Fear, Itself" You should check it out!

Compère: Good evening Mr Stools.

Voice: (from inside box) Hello, David.

Compère: Mr Stools, what makes you particularly interesting?

Voice: Well, I'm only half an inch long.

Compère: Well that's extremely interesting, thank you for coming along on the show tonight Mr Stools.

Mr Stools: I thought you'd think that was interesting David, in fact...

Compère: (shuts matchbox; applause) Mr Alan Stools from Kendal in Westmorland .. · half an inch long. (applause)

Last edited:

monboesen

Explorer
A long long time ago, back in 2ed our rather vain and full of himself used his Wand of Wonder twice in a row.

The first result covered him in chocolate, the next made him switch places with the targeted creature. Landing him as a chocolatety treat in the midst of the angry monsters :)

He never ever used that wand again.

Remove ads