Fury over Black Hermione Granger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dog Moon

Adventurer
That's an interesting thought. What if the actor cast for the role wasn't cast because she was black? What if she was cast because she was the best actor to audition for the role, and she just happens to be black? Would it still bother you?

Well, I AM assuming she was cast because she was the best actress for the role. I would like to think the director didn't see her and think "It would be great to start a controversy so I'm going to choose a black Hermione in order to draw attention to my work even if she is a terrible actress and any of these other women would be a better choice".

I would assume the director either thought "This actress is the best that auditioned" either without thinking of her skin color or thinking "I know the original Hermione in the films is not black, but despite that this is the best actress that auditioned".

So to answer, yes, I would still not like it, but I would understand.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Fury over black Hermione Granger?

NEHbD4RtoYVXLN_1_2.jpg

Yes. Yes he is.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
As for the other questions:

1) yes, it would have changed the character, much as Umbran pointed out.

2) as JKR pointed out, her race was never mentioned in the books, so it isn't at odds with the canon

3) as long as they cast her because she was right for the role, and not out of some attempt to throw a PC bone to minorities, etc. I'm cool with that.

Well, I AM assuming she was cast because she was the best actress for the role. I would like to think the director didn't see her and think "It would be great to start a controversy so I'm going to choose a black Hermione in order to draw attention to my work even if she is a terrible actress and any of these other women would be a better choice".

I would assume the director either thought "This actress is the best that auditioned" either without thinking of her skin color or thinking "I know the original Hermione in the films is not black, but despite that this is the best actress that auditioned".

So to answer, yes, I would still not like it, but I would understand.
Assuming the change wasn't made just for the sake of change, or to mix in colors, and it was just the casting director deciding that this was the best actor that auditioned for the part, what is it that you don't like?

Janx

Hero
So we have threads in the RPG forum about how a GM decides what happens next being "jarring to immersion"

And y'all don't think swapping skin color on a character might not be a little jarring to immersion?

And maybe decouple somebody's response of "that'd be weird" from full on racist driven anger?

Cut the guy who is not freaking out or launching a tirade a little slack. Change is hard and he's not your enemy. He will go see it and probably like it. He's merely expressing surprise at the change. he'll get over it.

Focus on the guy spouting like a Hitler Youth progadandist. He's the enemy.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
So we have threads in the RPG forum about how a GM decides what happens next being "jarring to immersion"

And y'all don't think swapping skin color on a character might not be a little jarring to immersion?

And maybe decouple somebody's response of "that'd be weird" from full on racist driven anger?

Cut the guy who is not freaking out or launching a tirade a little slack. Change is hard and he's not your enemy. He will go see it and probably like it. He's merely expressing surprise at the change. he'll get over it.

Focus on the guy spouting like a Hitler Youth progadandist. He's the enemy.

Are you referring to me? The only person who used the word "weird" was Dog Moon, and I'm the person who replied to that comment. For myself, I tried to explain why finding it weird is not something that should be considered a reason not to do a thing, especially when it's a (small part of) good societal change. I think that's a perfectly in-proportion reply. Nobody is claiming anybody's an enemy, or accusing anybody of full-on racist driven anger (well, other than the thread title which refers to "fury" from non-specific anonymous internet people).

Janx

Hero
Are you referring to me? The only person who used the word "weird" was Dog Moon, and I'm the person who replied to that comment. For myself, I tried to explain why finding it weird is not something that should be considered a reason not to do a thing, especially when it's a (small part of) good societal change. I think that's a perfectly in-proportion reply. Nobody is claiming anybody's an enemy, or accusing anybody of full-on racist driven anger (well, other than the thread title which refers to "fury" from non-specific anonymous internet people).

I arguing with him, you de-legitimatize his feelings because by feeling weird, he is resisting a societal movement.

Let him feel weird about it and get over it.

I'm sure he knows racism is wrong.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I arguing with him, you de-legitimatize his feelings because by feeling weird, he is resisting a societal movement.

Let him feel weird about it and get over it.

I'm sure he knows racism is wrong.

It's a discussion board. We discuss things. Rather defeats the point of it if we don't!

JediSoth

Voice Over Artist & Author
Epic
I will admit that my default vision of Hermione is basically Emma Watson, but that's mostly because I saw the first movie BEFORE I read the books and the actors have colors my perceptions of the characters ever since.

My first thought when I heard they cast a woman of color as Hermione was "I hope she can act."

'Cause I just don't care if she's black or white or yellow with purple polka dots.

I will also admit, there was a time, not so long ago (>5 years) that I would have cared a bit. "She's already established as white!). Fortunately, I got better. I've been trying real hard over the last several years to be the change I want to see in the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads