• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Future d20

Kaiyosama

First Post
This scoop from "MadBlue" -- "I just got my copy of the March/April issue of Dungeon/Polyhedron, and read that a "d20 Future" expansion for d20 Modern is scheduled for release in 2004. It looks like it will be for SF campaigns what d20 Modern is for modern ones. The kinds of settings the game will cover include 'cyberspace action-adventures (a la The Matrix), deep-space "bug hunts" (a la Aliens), futuristic technothrillers (a la Minority Report) and dystopian visions of future Earth (a la Bladerunner)'. It will have rules for cybernetics, space travel and zero-g-combat, radiation poisoning, surviving hostile planetary environments, genetic manipulation, etc. The article also mentioned new advanced classes, new skills, new feats, futuristic technology, aliens, androids, mutations, psychic powers and 2-4 ready-to-play campaigns will be included in d20 Future."

So we read about it on the front page: FUTURE d20... so what do we think about it?

Edit: Posted Summary

Last edited:

Eternalknight

First Post
I'm looking forward to it. In my campaign, the majority of the action takes place in medieval times, though they are occasional 'time slips' to the past and future. It allows me to use things like d20 Modern, pulp heroes, etc. Now I can add d20 future.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
I'm not particularly surprised. I expected this ever since I heard about d20 Modern (and even asked about it as the last d20 Modern seminar at GenCon).

I'm happy to hear about it. I'm just hoping that it doesn't overlap too much with d20 Modern. As long as its different enough to warrant itself as a separate book, without being too different that it doesnt mix easily with d20 Modern and d20 Fantasy (aka D&D), then I'm all for it.

Skade

Explorer
I could swear that Wizards specifically said at one point that there would not be a d20 Future. I don't remember where I read this, it may have been here. I'm only a little disapointed that it will be a whole seperate book, mostly because I think it will heavily overlap with Modern, and Modern does future setings just fine. Another concern I have would be those who might put out future settings in the meantime will find they should reprint their books to match the new Future book when it comes out.

Kaiyosama

First Post
Skade said:
I could swear that Wizards specifically said at one point that there would not be a d20 Future. I don't remember where I read this, it may have been here. I'm only a little disapointed that it will be a whole seperate book, mostly because I think it will heavily overlap with Modern, and Modern does future setings just fine. Another concern I have would be those who might put out future settings in the meantime will find they should reprint their books to match the new Future book when it comes out.

That hasn't seemed to be much of a problem with Spycraft, but I see what you mean.

Personally, I looking forward to a totally generic d20 SciFi. I think we need one that can cover lots of ground. It also seems to have the seeds of cyberpunk d20 in it, so that is good.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Kaiyosama said:
So we read about it on the front page: FUTURE d20... so what do we think about it?

You know, I had a feeling they were going to do this. It's the next logical step from both a marketing and OGL/SRD perspective. I'm definitely interested in this.

How different from d20 Modern is it going to be, you think?

I'm trying to think of special future ehm things, that isn't covered by d20 Modern, but since I don't have a copy, I really can't tell. :D

Emphasis on psionics, rules for androids, cyborgs, bionic implants? Mech combat? (I wish!)

Kaiyosama

First Post
Left-handed Hummingbird said:
How different from d20 Modern is it going to be, you think?

I'm trying to think of special future ehm things, that isn't covered by d20 Modern, but since I don't have a copy, I really can't tell. :D

Emphasis on psionics, rules for androids, cyborgs, bionic implants? Mech combat? (I wish!)

GoO and Dream Pod 9 (not to mention POLY) have/are doing mechs. Let me post the summary at the top.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads