• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Future format of books that mimic SCAG: Will you buy them?

Will you buy future setting books if they mimic the format of SCAG?

• Yes

Votes: 89 59.3%
  • No

Votes: 18 12.0%
  • Only if I can get it really cheap.

Votes: 43 28.7%

Corpsetaker

First Post
If future setting books mimic the format of SCAG, will you purchase them?

I will kick it off by saying no. I think this format is way to thin and lacking for my tastes. Forgotten Realms is a massively, rich world full of lore and this format does it no justice.

Shiroiken

Legend
I say yes, because it's a Player's Guide to a Setting, not a full Campaign Setting. Everything that I've read is pretty cool. However, I would only buy a could of settings (mostly Greyhawk).

Tony Vargas

Legend
The crunch:fluff ratio is terribly low for my taste, and I never cared for FR, but it's better than having no D&D at all to buy at my FLGS.

Edit: That's actually a 'yes,' BTW.

Last edited:

Where's the "It depends on what section, of what campaign setting, it's covering" option?

Because that's pretty close to 100% the deciding factor for me on future books in this format. If it's an area I'm interested in, yes. If not, no.

Jeremy E Grenemyer

Feisty
Supporter
If future setting books mimic the format of SCAG, will you purchase them?
Yes, provided it is a Realms sourcebook.

A second or third Realms book is not going to need to do the same work as the SCAG did, i.e. using pages to describe the rest of the Realms and to introduce new readers to the basic elements of the setting, so that means more pages devoted to the region these future books are covering.

Even though it's of little use to me, I would hope some of the extra pages would be devoted to new mechanics for the crunch-hungry players out their--but only if the mechanics are as properly tied in to the setting as they are in the SCAG.

Yes.

SAG is poor as a crunch accessory and poor as a campaign setting, but it was designed to be neither. It was designed to be a player's guide to the Realms and an introduction to that setting with a focus on the Sword Coast, and it is excellent in that regard. It does what it sets out to do.
If they make more products that mimic the SCAG, and completely fulfill their design goals and purpose, I am all for it.

empireofchaos

First Post
Not sure what's wrong with the format as such. The writing in some of the sections leaves a lot to be desired. Namely, the history and the general overview of the realms had the feeling of catalog entries written by people who don't have a good sense of how fantasy-type realms are likely to be organized, or how to present the material to anyone but FR diehards. The section on religion, gods, and temples was much more detail-oriented and engaging, however. More than half of the classes were quite interesting and well-designed, but more care could have been applied to the races, and especially, background, which were really lackluster. Most of the latter two sections were really just rehashes of what's already in the PHB, but presumably, if forthcoming settings are something other than your "generic fantasy world", these problems can be avoided with better writing.

S

Sunseeker

I'll probably read them more thoroughly in the future but I suspect I'll be inclined to buy them rather than not. The $40 price tag is still a bit steep for the number of pages though.

Duganson

First Post
I went with the 'if its really cheap' option. Even at $24 I'm still feeling a little sticker shock. Honestly, fluff wise I feel like I've read 75% of it already and crunch wise the options all seem kinda lack luster.

Remove ads