• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Future of D&D Miniatures

dogoftheunderworld

Adventurer
Supporter
... Some type of orc cavalry would be cool--right now the only option there is the Banebreak Rider from Night Below, which is awesome but expensive and somewhat specialized. And if the set had wyvern-riders, I would be all over that.

Just a side thought, regarding mounted minis: What about separating the mounts and riders into different packages? Orc Calvary set: just riders. Then pick up the mounts you want for them: horses, boars, wyverns - each a separate (or mixed) set. All riders/mounts using the same inter-lock system. This could also go with a "Leveled PC" set (mentioned somewhere). Fighter set: lvl 1, lvl 5, lvl 10, lvl 20 + same models in rider form. (okay, maybe not :) )

In any case, themed encounter sets seem like the next step. What about randomizing just one "Rare" mini in each set:
.. Orc set: includes two spearmen, 2 axes, 2 bowmen + one random leader: (Shaman, high level fighter, chief, drummer, etc.)
.. Undead set: 2 zombies, two skeletons, 2 ghouls + one high level (lich, vampire, ghost, evil cleric, necromancer, death knight)
.. etc.

I have several hundred minis, but I still keep an eye out for different sculps and holes in my collection. I have been mostly in the singles secondary market the last 2-3 sets. However, I would buy themed (mostly visible) sets (if the quality can stay up -- I can get plenty of cheap, low quality stand-ins but there is just nothing like having the perfect piece for your character or encounter).

Mad Mac

First Post
I'd defnitely go for theme packs. I have a lot of orcs, sure, but most of them are seriously ugly and clash with each other in terms of style. Good orc mini's have always been a tough buy on the secondary market.

Goblins and Hobgoblins now, I'm pretty much set.

I've been collecting mini's for a while, and there's always odd holes resulting from certain poses or skulpts being much older/rarer then others. It's been a while since we've gotten Kobolds with spears, for instance, or Orcs with bows.

Quantum

First Post
I'm sick and tired of random monster set minis. I never get the minis I need. For example, if I need ten Kobolds I should just be able to buy the Kobolds.

However, what I would accept is paclages that have some randomness to it. For example, have a set with five miniatures, three of them being set and two of them bein random. For example, one set should have three Kobolds and then an Umber Hulk and a Mimic.

Dausuul

Legend
... side note here, imo the Player Handbook Heroes packs are generally much less usable/interesting and poorer designed than the PC minis of the earlier sets. I haven't seen other people mention this, but do you all agree?

Since at least half of them are repaints--meaning they're the exact same mini with a different paint job--I can't say I really agree, no. :cool:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I'm sick and tired of random monster set minis. I never get the minis I need. For example, if I need ten Kobolds I should just be able to buy the Kobolds.

Amazing, isn't it, that so many minis companies used that business model successfully.

Since at least half of them are repaints--meaning they're the exact same mini with a different paint job--I can't say I really agree, no. :cool:

Yeah, but the repaints I've seen have been, in a word, crappy. I don't paint my minis, and I could do a better job.

buddhafrog

First Post

Yes, understood. But after buying about 20~30 minis usable for PC's on the singles market, I found that I bought *zero* Player's Handbook Heroes minis. Agreed, maybe I didn't buy their earlier original painted versions from the boosters sets either, but there were still many great PC minis in those boosters to give me a nice handful. Not one from the PH minis - to me they appeared either more stiff or cartoonish. But that might just be me.

Moorcrys

Explorer
I'm sure it's not cost effective, but is it too much to ask to get a few minis of each of the new character races that Wizards puts out in their PHBs? Shardminds, Wildens? Devas? Goliaths? I feel like they should be covered by a few minis either before or soon after they are made available as character races.

Glyfair

Explorer
Quantum said:
Amazing, isn't it, that so many minis companies used that business model successfully.

However, I don't know any that did it with pre-painted plastic miniatures. The differences in production costs change the affordability of that business model.

The closest to attempt it was WizKids with some of their Mage Knight line. None of those attempts were very successful within the line.

Remove ads