Future of the current Adventure League

rczarnec

Explorer
This makes me think of the Mark Twain quote, "The reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated."

There have been changes to AL, certainly. Content has been pushed downstream to the DMs Guild. Adjustments to how WotC and AL interact. I was surprised to see such an apparent small amount of Season 6 content announced, but that's an impression based on very little info other than the announcement. The community itself, at least in my area, seems robust and enduring.

I think that the small amount of announced Season 6 DDAL/DDEP content will be mitigated by the amount of CCC content starting to pick up. We just premiered a couple of CCCs at TotalCon and they will probably land on DM Guild sometime during season 6. I assume that there will be a fairly large number of other CCCs that will also become available at some point during the season.

Please note that Season 6 is also only 3 months long. So while six adventures and a hardcover might seem like less, its actually quite a bit, especially on top of all the CCC content.

Please note that Season 6 is also only 3 months long. So while six adventures and a hardcover might seem like less, its actually quite a bit, especially on top of all the CCC content.

Ah. The missing piece of my puzzle. Thanks!

That is a short season. Sounds like Season 7 might start a little after Origins?

rooneg

Adventurer

THIS IS THE SORT OF THING YOU MIGHT WANT TO MAKE CLEAR IN ANNOUNCEMENTS.

Sorry for the shouting, but seriously. Since you posted the announcement of the initial set of TftYP AL content on Facebook (and it only contained 3 non-epics and 3 epics) I've heard both "There's more content coming!" and "It'll be a short season!" from various admins in Facebook comments. It's great that you're there to reassure people, and both of these answers seem fine to me, but a lot of people won't be reading past the initial announcement. They'll see it and say "Wow, 3 adventures? They're really phoning it in", regardless of the underlying reality that will become the story for many of your fans. Please, just come right out and state this information at the beginning. Don't make us dig for it.

If nothing else, please go back and add start and end dates for the season (even if they're just preliminary) to http://dndadventurersleague.org/storyline-seasons/the-yawning-portal/.

We don't post preliminary/may change information any more. It causes too many problems in the age of the internet where things get re-posted or archived but not updated. Now we only post details when they are completely set and then we only make changes when we go to a new season.

Also the announcement of the season lists the dates of the releases and states the total number of adventures (http://dndadventurersleague.org/the-yawning-portal/) so you know when they are coming out. We haven't listed a hard end yet however, since they info about season 7 is not out. Besides, you can always play s6 content after s7 comes out, so no need to rush.

rooneg

Adventurer
We don't post preliminary/may change information any more. It causes too many problems in the age of the internet where things get re-posted or archived but not updated. Now we only post details when they are completely set and then we only make changes when we go to a new season.

Also the announcement of the season lists the dates of the releases and states the total number of adventures (http://dndadventurersleague.org/the-yawning-portal/) so you know when they are coming out. We haven't listed a hard end yet however, since they info about season 7 is not out. Besides, you can always play s6 content after s7 comes out, so no need to rush.

See, here we are again where the messaging gets weird. You previously said that this season's adventures would have multiple two part adventures written by the same author, but if these 6 adventures (3 epics and 3 non-epics) are all we're getting then I assume that's no longer a thing? That's unfortunate. It's also contrary to what Alan Patrick said on Facebook regarding more content coming, but maybe I was just misunderstanding him.

Honestly though, even if the season is just 3 months long I still think this set of content is pretty disappointing. Epics are unavailable to the majority of people, which means you're really just talking about 3 adventures. That's half the number you released per-month in season 5.

As for "no need to rush", the point isn't to rush, the point is that you should be trying to reassure people that the fact that you're releasing an incredibly small amount of content for season 6 isn't some sign that AL is going away. If you say "here's our 3 adventures for season 6" it means something different if it's a 3 month season as compared to a 6 month season. If you don't tell people it's a 3 month season all they can see is "well, they're just not doing that many adventures anymore".

For each of three adventures in the book, there is a DDAL adventure and an epic that tied to it fairly closely. So the idea being that you would play the DDAL, then and/or the book and the epic. There may be additional content coming as well, but we are not prepared to announce anything about that at this time. As previously announced through various venues, our DDAL content is going to become more and more tied to the books (eventually with the books also mentioning the adventures, and not just the other way around). If your goal is lots and lots of one offs, then the CCC program is for you.

rooneg

Adventurer
For each of three adventures in the book, there is a DDAL adventure and an epic that tied to it fairly closely. So the idea being that you would play the DDAL, then and/or the book and the epic. There may be additional content coming as well, but we are not prepared to announce anything about that at this time. As previously announced through various venues, our DDAL content is going to become more and more tied to the books (eventually with the books also mentioning the adventures, and not just the other way around). If your goal is lots and lots of one offs, then the CCC program is for you.

That is extremely disappointing. The HC adventures already exist, people can run them already and don't need additional content to enjoy them. For those of us who cannot commit to a months long weekly campaign it was nice to have something smaller. The fact that AL isn't interested in providing that anymore is unfortunate. I'm also baffled by the idea that content that is often run at conventions is going to be heavily integrated into these enormous campaigns that can't possibly fit into a convention context. That's just absurd.

At the very least, if you expect CCC to pick up the slack I hope it's better integrated into things like DM Quests. Right now, there's very little reason to want to run them from a DM Rewards basis. I hope the reason isn't going to become "well, they're the thing that exists and works as a stand alone adventure, as opposed to this other stuff that only makes sense if you've spent months playing other stuff."

Honestly, this is a kick in the teeth. I'm fairly well informed about what's going on in AL, and I had literally zero idea this was a direction you were moving in.

Remove ads