• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fuzzy wizards

Darth Malakh

First Post
Greetings, my fellow addicts.

"The Fire Seeds spell description appears a bit fuzzy to me. It says (among other things):
You turn as many as eight holly berries into special bombs.If you are within 200 feet and speak a word of command, each berry instantly bursts into flame, causing 1d8 points of fire damage +1 point per caster level to every creature in a 5-foot-radius burst."

And here's my quesh-chan!
Doesn't this mean that everyone in the area takes 1d8+CL, no matter how many berry-bombs explode? Or is this multiplied by the number of berries in whose area of effect you are in? The second interpretation sounds just a little too...volatile for my sense of game balance...but then it's a 6th level spell :\
So whaddup? Am I getting anything wrong here?

Malakh "Slack" Singh

diaglo

Adventurer
Darth Malakh said:
Ok, no multiplying, fine. What I rather wanted to know is: Do you get to roll 1d8+CL for each berry in the area?

Murat Singh ;)

yes. you place them. and then detonate them when within 200ft.

each berry does the damage.

so... effectively you could do 8d8 + 8*CL if they are all grouped together.

kjenks

First Post
So you give all eight bombs to a critter that you've summoned with Summon Nature's Ally. You send him in on a suicide mission then... Boom! Kamikaze squirrel!

But this tactic takes way too long and is too prone to disruption or misdirection to be a practical use for such a high level spell.

Quez The Lame

First Post
kjenks said:
So you give all eight bombs to a critter that you've summoned with Summon Nature's Ally. You send him in on a suicide mission then... Boom! Kamikaze squirrel!

But this tactic takes way too long and is too prone to disruption or misdirection to be a practical use for such a high level spell.
Just cast Resist Energy and let them explode in your hand. Each berry is a seperate source of damage and won't beat the 30 points of fire resistance granted by Resist Energy at such a high caster level.

Since Resist Energy ans Fire Seeds both have the same duration cast them before wading into battle. Blow them up when needed and laugh about the puny wizard's Fireburst spell.

Last edited:

Shadeus

First Post
Cast the spell and keep them in a bag. Walk up within 10' of a creature and drop them (which you can drop into an adjacent square) and keep going. Then use the command word to detonate them. No need for suicidal forest friends. :)

Sue Bloodbucket

First Post
interwyrm said:
Killing widdle forest creatures? Not very druid-like!

Why not?
Doesn't all rivers eventually flow into the great sea? How am I to sort out who comes first?
I think that strongly depends on the druids alignment.
A rather non-good one could see himself as a kind of predator to begin with...

Besides: I can't stand ferrets anyways.

regards
Sue

Remove ads