• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

G. R. I. P. E.

MerakSpielman

First Post
This is my second shot at doing a Story Hour. My first one kind of fizzled 'cause I never updated it, but this time I have the advantage of being able to start at the beginning of a campaign.

Anyway, here's the first post:

G.R.I.P.E.

Background:

Seven hundred years ago a group of well-meaning adventurers attempted to destroy a Doomsday Device that would have, if activated, reduced all people in the world into helpless thralls of the minions of Vecna. Unfortunately, in so doing, a magical chain reaction was unleashed that almost destroyed the very world they were fighting so hard to save. The rotation of the planet slowed down, making both day and night last a full six months. The surface world was laid waste as it was alternately cooked beyond imagination and frozen beyond belief. The oceans were destroyed. The land was laid waste. On the surface, nothing lives.

The few survivors of this cataclysm fled into the Underdark, and refer to the desperate time as the Descent. Life in the Underdark was harsh, but largely shielded from the elemental extremes of the surface. The races of the Underdark, however, did not take kindly to the intrusion.

War broke out, and continued to break out on and off for centuries. With the lack of the functioning ecosystem of the surface food became scarce. Populations plummeted from starvation and constant warfare.

Eventually, painfully, a semblance of peace and order emerged. The population reached the level that could be supported by the available resources. The people had grown weary of conflict, though their enmities lingered. People turned their efforts away from the mostly solved problem of survival and began to ponder the nature of their existence. Why had this calamity befallen them? The gods were not angry, at least so the clerics claimed. Slowly, insidiously, the belief began to spread that the source of all this despair was unchecked arcane magic. Did not the teachings of magic allow the creation of the Doomsday Device in the first place? Centuries of learning and research had led inexorably to the destruction of the surface by a single, evil mind.

It could not be allowed to happen again. Even the best-intentioned mages could contribute to a knowledge base that would allow evil to reign supreme, or destroy what was left of the world. The practice of wizardry became frowned upon. Then it slowly became taboo. Eventually, the civilized races banned it outright. The wizardly Cabals, once free to operate in public, fled into the shadows, becoming hidden, underground organizations in constant fear of being exposed and destroyed.

Throughout all these centuries, groups and organizations rose and fell with the politics of the time. One particular organization survived in secret and called itself Gathering of Resources for Intercavern Problem Elucidation, or GRIPE. At any given time, this secret society had relatively few members, but still it managed to accomplish a great deal. GRIPE members were all required to seek out the highest and most influential position they could find in their local government. From there, they would help each other – and by extension each other’s races and civilizations – by subtlety pulling strings in their webs of influence. But GRIPE existed for a higher purpose. Each member maintained an information network and kept track of anything… ominous. It turned out that quite frequently in the Underdark problems would arise that were outside the bailiwick of any given race, and were therefore left to grow. The purpose of GRIPE was to eliminate such threats before they could pose a significant threat to anybody. The cumulative effect of each member exerting their influence in their civilizations toward a common goal could be tremendous, though the races involved rarely realized they were working together.

Surprisingly, the members of GRIPE were quite varied. Many members were evil, recognizing the amount of personal power and benefit the group could bring them (if they behaved). All classes were represented - even after the downfall of arcane magic, the occasional mage could be counted as a member. The deep races were members as often as surface races. The philosophy of GRIPE was such that it recognized the value of diversity.

But still, it became apparent it was not enough. The members of GRIPE began to hear dark rumors of Things Happening. Something was moving in the shadows, perhaps a group even more secretive than itself. Divinations revealed only that Something was coming. What it was could not be seen.

GRIPE did not like anything going on of this scale that they did not know about, but the members were tied too intricately into their networks. They needed to be able to look into things personally, but their activities would surely be noticed. Chaffing at the delay, they found a solution.

Each member would find and train a worthy apprentice. This student would be taught the deepest secrets of the mentor’s profession and be trained to be trustworthy and secretive. They would be kept as much as possible out of the public view, so that when the time came for them to sally forth their absence would not be noticed. When the time came, the nature of GRIPE would be revealed to the apprentices, and they would gather as a sort of investigative team to determine what GRIPE could not. They would be the hands and fists of GRIPE in the outside world.

Before it was expected, the time came.

Last edited:

MerakSpielman

First Post
Session 1 (Part 1 of 2):

Out of the shadows of the small cavern, a cold female voice speaks.

“We are all here? Good.”

The speaker moves forward, pulling a brightly glowing rod from her black robes. The coal-black skin of her face is thrown into stark relief, and her crimson eyes reflect the light menacingly. She places the rod on a small boulder near the center of the room and steps back.

“We can all see in the dark, true, but it is best to meet each other for the first time with some proper light.”

Other figures emerge from the shadows in pairs. In each pair, one figure stands confident and almost radiating competence and power, and the other a sort of cautious expectation and obsequiousness. They all eye each other grimly and not a little suspiciously.

The Drow speaks again, “For most of us, we are meeting for the first time. For those of you who are new to this, this meeting is incredibly risky. It is a testament to the importance of this venture that we are willing to take this risk.”

She stands in silence for a moment as though to allow the gravity of these words to sink in.

“You have all been briefed on the nature of the organization GRIPE. We, your long-time mentors, represent the entire current membership of this group, and beyond the people in this cave, absolutely no one suspects our existence. This is essential to our plans, and though you have already heard this, I must reiterate that under NO conditions is any information about our group to be disseminated to anybody outside this group.”

She glares at the apprentices each in turn as she speaks, meeting their gazes with her chilling red eyes.

“The current members are already familiar with each other. Though it seems a bit trite, I suggest that we go around the circle and allow you newcomers to introduce yourselves.”

One of the figures gives a snort of amused disgust. The Drow raises an eyebrow at him, “Very well, Derro, if you are so eager, you may begin.”

The young Derro hesitates, but his mentor shoves him hard in the back and he stomps forward, surveying the people arrayed around him. He grins, and the others cannot help but feel that it is the grin of a predator as it contemplates the prospect of easy prey.

“I am Strak, a Ranger. It is the job of the Derro Rangers to track down those who enter our territory, kill most of them, and take the rest back for cannibalistic ritual sacrifice. This is a job I enjoy.”

This statement unsettles many of the others apprentices in the circle visibly, though they regain their composure quickly. Strak laughs at their expressions, and returns to his place in the circle.

“Charmed,” says the Drow spokeswoman, smiling and turning to the next apprentice to be introduced.

A young kobold female jumps agilely forward, whirling a set of iron nunchukus, “And I,” she says grandly in a reptilian, high-pitched whine, “am Slash Asunder, the most marvelous Edgemaster you are ever likely to meet. I do things with weapons you could never hope to imitate.”

She gives the group around her a long, toothy grin.

Somebody calls out, “Edgemaster huh? Shouldn’t you be using, say, something that has an edge? Like a sword?”

Without the slightest hint of hesitation or annoyance, Slash responds, “Not so good sir! The title Edgemaster indicates a broad array of expertise in virtually all weapons! Do not fear, however, for I shall not hold your ignorance against you.”

She gives a short bark of a laugh and leaps back to her place, where she strikes an impressive pose and turns to look at the next speaker, who sighs and moves up.

She is clearly a half-Drow, half-Human, and her eyes flicker over the full Drow in the room, as though afraid that she is about to be judged as instantly as an abomination to the race. They merely look back at her, expressionless. She sighs again.

“I am Triesste. I’m half-Drow…”

“We can tell what you are, mongrel,” calls Strak, obviously enjoying her discomfort and evident stage fright.

“… and I explore and get things done,” she continues vaguely.

“What sorts of ‘things,’” calls Strak.

“All kinds of things. Roguish things, more often than not.” Triesste is obviously getting more than a little annoyed, and trying to keep her exact specialty private. She puts her hand on her rapier-hilt, obviously intending to look a bit intimidating, but failing miserably, she stalks back to her place.

Next to take the floor is a male Drow, unarmored, but with a set of nunchukus attached to his belt. The female Drow speaker and her apprentice, who had not registered any emotion when presented with Triesste, both looked as though they were trying to repress sneers, as though they were being addressed by a servant who has forgotten his place.

He spoke, a quiet, high, soft voice, “I am Crystal. I am an old friend of Slash, whom you have already met. For several years we traveled in a troupe together, entertaining the masses with our acrobatic talents.”

Before he can be prompted to speak further, he returns to his spot.

Next, the apprentice of the Drow spokeswoman steps forward. She is dressed in a flowing black cloak over a simple rust-colored robe, both of which together still fail to hide her almost skeletal frame. Her black face is thin and gaunt, and she is shorter than the average Drow female. Her long white hair is drawn up into a severe bun, fastened in place with a bone-white spider-shaped clasp. She speaks quietly:

“I am Beltana Noquar.”

“And what do you do, Beltana?” calls Strak.

She looks at him across the circle and, without smiling, says softly, “I do enough,” and steps slowly back next to her mentor, who motions for the last apprentice to come up.

Another Kobold steps into the light. She is wearing proudly the holy symbol of Boccob and carries a steel crossbow. She clicks her teeth in an apparent acknowledgement of Slash, the other Kobold apprentice present, and stands up to her full three feet in height as she speaks.

“I am Zya Snaggletooth, cleric of Boccob, God of Magic,” and apparently deciding that this is enough introduction, turns around and walks back to the edge of the circle.

The apprentices all eye their new companions, some more warily than others. It is clear that, though they all know they are required to work together to accomplish certain tasks, many of them do not trust the others enough to reveal much about themselves.

“Very well then,” says Beltana’s mentor, “shall we get on with business?”

Next:
Session 1 (Part 2 of 2): The mission is explained, the group meets a strange new foe, and a clue is discovered.

Last edited:

MerakSpielman

First Post
It should be noted at this point that I will not reveal things that are not known to the entire party. For example, those characters keeping their classes secret will not have their secrets exposed, or if a character swipes something and doesn't tell anyone, it won't show up here until the secret's out.

Also, some house rules readers might want to be aware of:

Each party member has chosen a sub-race (clan, family, or tribe) that grants them a special ability. They also are each affiliated with a particular organization (other than GRIPE). For the cleric of Boccob, for example, this organization would be her temple. None of the others have outwardly stated their affiliations. These organizational affiliations provide their members with a series of unique feats, gained slowly as their members level up.

Am I making the characters too powerful? Perhaps. But all the NPCs have a subrace and organization, too, and magical items are hard to come by.

Also, I am making use of "Swashbuckling Cards." These are passed out at the beginning of each session, one to each player, and kept hidden from everyone, including the DM. They each contain a title and/or clever movie quote and allow something strange and unusual to happen. Some are mundane, such as "Handy Rope: You character can move anywhere on the battlefield before taking his normal action," and some are extraordinary, such as "Excellent: A cohort or flunky enters with good news," or "Pillows and Hot Baths: The next room you enter will contain comfortable pillows and hot baths. There will be no random encounters while you are in this room." These cards are returned to the deck when played and are intended to introduce a random element to the game, as well as to amuse the players by making the DM think quickly on his feet to make what happens seem reasonable. They also add a light-hearted element to a generally dark game.

Edited above segment to correctly reflect Beltana's clothing, per player request.

Last edited:

MerakSpielman

First Post
Baltana’s mentor surveys the group before her. She speaks again:

“GRIPE is a society that does many things. Some might seem at first contrary to our individual outlooks,” she seems to cast a brief look at Strak and his mentor, “but we have all come to an understanding, and have agreed to abide by certain rules. Your new group is an extension of GRIPE – our hands, if you will. You act openly where we cannot. This is what you have been trained to do…”

“Excuse me!” barks a Kobold voice.

“What is it?” snaps the Drow, annoyed at the interruption.

“Well,” continues Slash, “If we are meant, as you say, to be members of this GRIPE thing, don’t you think we should all be aware of these rules that you mention? Aren’t we bound by them too, if we’re members?”

A faint shadow of a smile flickers in the corner of the Drow’s lip as she says, “Quite right, Kobold. The rules of GRIPE are as follows, “First, members do not act against other members. This includes anything from sabotaging business interests to outright physical attacks. Second, members will, if it safe to do so, assist other members in their ventures. Third, members shall not reveal the existence of GRIPE to anybody not a member of the group. If you are placed in a position where you believe you will be unable to keep information about GRIPE from anybody outside the group, you will do whatever it takes to avoid doing so, even if it includes your own death. The overarching goal of GRIPE is to preserve social stability in the Underdark by consolidating resources that would, without our influence, never come together. Different members of the group, of course, do this for different personal reasons.”

Slash nods, paying close attention to every word, “Is these written down anywhere? I mean, don’t you have like a written code of some sort… ”

The Drow cuts her off, angry, “Have you not been paying attention? Nothing about this group is ever to be written down. There is no permanent record of us, or any of our activities, nor will there ever be! Our safety lies in our secrecy. Our civilizations would not understand how what we do secretly is not a betrayal of their trust in us. We would be cast out, scattered, and killed if we were to be discovered. Do you understand me?” Slash, chagrined, nods and tries to regain her composure.

“Then, if I may continue. A few weeks ago some of our sources indicated a certain secret shipment was to be made. We do not know where it is from or where it is going to, only that several of the methods we ourselves use to keep things quiet were tapped by an individual or group as yet unknown to us. This is dangerous, and could hint that there is something large moving just out of our sights. This vague, but potentially huge threat has been hinted at elsewhere, but this was our first lead. We were unable to track the actual location of the shipment, but suspected it was headed into Human territory.

The Drow goes on, “You are all wondering why you had to travel so far from your home kingdoms to this isolated area on the edge of the surface dwellers territory. The reason is this: we have recently intercepted intelligence that a hidden human outpost in this area has intercepted what they believe to be a smuggling shipment. As you well know, it is illegal for the humans to build a military outpost this far from their borders, so this information was not easy to come by. We think this supposed smuggling shipment is in fact the mysterious shipment we desire to examine.

“Your first mission, then, it to travel to the human outpost, infiltrate it, and investigate the shipment. Information of particular value includes the nature of the shipment, the source of the shipment, and its destination. Do not get captured. Maintain the group’s secrecy.

“This is also, if you have not already figured it out, a sort of test. Some of us,” she looks pointedly at the Derro, “do not believe you can function together as a team. This mission, if successful, will prove them wrong.”

The Drow looks at the faces of the apprentices, seeking signs of confusion, annoyance, or anger. Apparently satisfied, she speaks again, “There is something else about this outpost that warrants our attention. It is rumored that the commander possesses one of the ancient Amulets of Sending, given by the Human king as a gift some years ago. This is how the commander maintains contact with the Human kingdom, and how you, if you acquire it, will maintain contact with us. I hope I make myself clear?”

The group nods. Some of the more roguish of the lot are smiling a bit, but Triesste looks a little nervous.

“Here is a map to the entrance of the outpost,” the Drow concludes, handing it to Beltana, “We will wait here for your report. You may begin.”

The mentors, as one, slip back into the shadows, leaving their newly created group of followers looking at each other. They approach each other slowly, and Beltana holds out the map for them all to see.

“Just a couple hours walk from here,” barks Zya quietly, “Good.”

“Let’s go then,” suggests Crystal.

With no further ado, and seeking to please their mentors, the group heads off, following the map. The conversation is limited to immediate practicalities, “Is it this turn or the next?” “Watch the ledge,” and similar mundane comments. The tunnels through which they travel are cramped and devoid of any signs of life or moisture. With their darkvision, the party has little trouble finding its way, though they have to climb up and down several steep, rocky areas. None of the group feels lost or confused in the tunnels. The Underdark is their home, and all they have ever known. Even without the map, they all know they would be able to retrace their steps precisely.

After three hours of marching through the tunnels, they arrive at a blank, stone wall, identical to the other miles of wall in the region.

“This is it,” announces Triesste, who is holding the map at this point, “There are instructions here on how to open the secret door.”

“Very thorough, our teachers, are they not?” smiles Slash toothily, “One wonders as to the sources of their information.”

“They have good reasons for hiding what they hide and revealing what they reveal,” says Crystal, “We can trust them.”

“I was not suggesting otherwise. I’m just curious, and naturally so, I think.”

“What should we do now? We need a plan,” mutters Triesste, “We can’t just walk in there and start asking questions.”

There is a pause while the group thinks. Strak is examining the rocky ground for signs of tracks, but says nothing.

“I’ll go in,” says Crystal, “and scout around a bit. At least we’ll have a picture of what we’re up against.”

“Better you than me,” grunts Strak. Crystal throws him a dirty look and motions for Triesste to hit the trigger to open the secret door. Everybody else backs up so as not to be in view of the inside. Remembering with amusement that humans cannot see in the dark, they all find hiding spots out of the range of torchlight and wait.

Triesste triggers the secret door by twisting a small bump in the wall counter-clockwise. Next to her, a segment of the wall smoothly swings inward. Inside, an unlit passage is visible, stretching out of sight.

Triesste backs away into the shadows as Crystal moves cautiously into the opening. He can hear nothing, and sees nothing other than the crude stone passage stretching away in front of him.

“No guards?” he thinks, as he edges his way in, “What kind of an outpost is this?”

He slips further into the passage, trying his best to stay hidden, even in the pitch blackness. He carefully scrutinizes floor, walls, and ceiling as he goes, knowing that it is unusual for such an entrance to be unguarded in some fashion. This thought makes him pause. He peers down the hall, but can see nothing after his darkvision ends. If he can’t see any humans, they certainly can’t see him, he figures.

“Come on in,” Crystal calls faintly to his companions, “This much is safe at least. I need somebody who can search for traps.” Slipping out of the shadows, the rest of the party enters the passage. Triesste steps forward, “I’ll check.”

“Careful you don’t set ‘em off and kill yourself now, mongrel,” Strak cackles softly.

Triesste looks as though she’s about to retort, then changes her mind and turns her attention to the hallway, “Stay a good distance behind me, just in case.”

She edges forward, scrutinizing the corridor with a trained eye. After about sixty feet, she stops. Did I see that right? I could have sworn… Ah, yes! She motions for the others to join her. “There is a pressure plate here. I can’t tell what it does, but I suggest we all edge our way around it against the wall.”

“It can’t be too bad of a trap,” comments Crystal, “It’s right here in the main entrance. They’d be bound to trigger it accidentally themselves.”

“It might be an alarm,” suggests Zya. With no clear consensus, the group carefully moves past the pressure plate and continues down the passage, Triesste leading.

The corridor turns out to be almost two hundred feet long, and widens at the end to terminate in a solid set of stone double doors. They do not have a lock, but are closed.

“This is me again,” says Crystal, edging forward in the darkness, keeping close to the walls. Reaching the doors, he grasps the iron handle and pulls. The stone door is quite heavy, and he has to put his weight into it to get it to open.

Beyond the door is a guardroom. A map of the vicinity lies on a table in the middle of the room, showing what look like patrol routes. Several chairs are scattered around the room, and a weapons rack stands against the wall, holding several shortspears. There is a window in the north wall, opposite the entry, but blocked with sturdy bars. Passages lead east and west.

There are no guards. Crystal sees bloodstains on the floors. Hurriedly, he motions his companions to enter. “Looks like somebody beat us here, folks.”

“What do you mean,” asked Zya, “who?

“Isn’t it obvious? They intercepted a secret shipment. Whoever sent it must have tracked them down to insure that it stays secret.”

“If that’s the case, there won’t be much here for us to find,” mutters Strak. They search the room, but come up with nothing interesting. The window to the north looks into a larger chamber, obviously set up as a temple to the Human god Hieroneous. Interestingly, they can make out a secret door at the far end of the temple, hanging open by a single hinge. Strak looks for tracks, and though he finds some, they all look the same – booted, Human-sized feet.

They decide to investigate the east passage, and find themselves in a large, long room, obviously once having been a natural cavern, but crudely enlarged and squared off. There is a crevasse in the south-east corner that smells like a privy. Sacks and crates of various supplies line the walls.

Just as the party is about to split up and search the room, they hear a shuffling and moaning from behind one of the crates. A human soldier staggers into view, armed with a longsword and wearing a chain shirt emblazoned with the insignia of the army of Silleria. The party pulls out their weapons and prepares to defend themselves. The soldier lifts his blade and stumbles toward them. They can see that his face is twisted with what looks like an expression of incredible agony. His movements are unnatural.

Crystal calls out, “Put down your weapon and surrender! You are outnumbered.”

The soldier speaks. His voice is guttural and forced, but his words are clear, “Kill… me…”

The companions look at each other.

“All right,” shrugs Strak to the soldier, “suit yourself,” and he charges, striking at the soldier with his rapier. The blade sinks into the skin of his arm where the sleeve of the chain shirt ends. A sickly fluid oozes forth, not blood, but something putrid and yellow.

The soldier looks at Strak, raising his sword, “Save… yourselves…” he croaks, and strikes. Strak dodges the blow.

Slash, Triesste, and Crystal join the fray, slicing at the soldier with their blades and trying to break his ribs with their nunchukus. Zya hangs back, waiting to see if the group will need her clerical magic. Beltana, with a thoughtful look on her face, casts a spell. There is no obvious effect, but she mutters, “Interesting…”

Before the soldier can get in another strike, the combined might of the companions facing him brings him down. He falls to the ground, groaning, “Thank… you…” and dies.

“What the Hells was the matter with him?” asks Triesste.

They examine the body, taking a couple wood pieces he has on him. There is clearly something very wrong with the soldier. He no longer has blood - only the foul yellow substance. Upon closer inspection it seems that there are some sort of fine tendrils infesting his body. Occasionally they stick out of the skin, looking for all the world like tiny roots. The tendrils are everywhere, even visible wrapping themselves around his eyeballs. His skin has a faint, sickly yellow cast to it.

“I don’t recognize it,” says Zya, examining the tendrils.

“Nor I,” says Baltana softly, not going near the body, “But I would suggest you keep your distance. Whatever has infected him might be contagious.”

Everybody jumps back in alarm. “Why do you say that,” yips Slash. Beltana shrugs.

“She has a point,” says Zya, “He was healthy once. Now he isn’t. What’s to say it can’t happen to us?”

“I’m not liking this place,” mutters Triesste, “Not one bit.” They search the room, finding nothing of interest. The supplies are only of value if they have a way to transport them, and they don’t. Near the north end of the long room is a passage leading west, and another leading north.

They head north. The passage turns out to be short, only thirty feet long. It ends with two doors, one on the left and the other on the right. Arbitrarily, the party decides to go right.

They find themselves in a small room, apparently the water supply for the garrison. Clear water trickles out of a crack in the wall and into a small basin. From there, it flows down into a basin large enough to hold several people. There is another crack in the wall of the basin allowing the water to flow out and never reach above a certain level.

Floating face-down in the large basin is another soldier, this one unarmed and unarmored. Now that the party knows what to look for, they can see more of the same tendrils infesting his waterlogged body. The water in the large basin looks and smells stagnant, despite the constant in-flow of fresh water from the small basin.

Zya loads her crossbow, “Stand back,” and fires a bolt directly into the floating figure’s head. The body spasms, lashing out with its limbs, but finally subsides, dead.

There is nothing of interest in the water-room, so the party investigates the other door. “Locked,” says Crystal, trying the handle. Everybody’s level of interest is suddenly increased. “Who can pick it?”

“That’s me again,” said Triesste, moving up and pulling out her tools.

Triesste has to make several tries before she finally gets the lock open. With a shove, she pushes open the heavy door, revealing an armory. There are several chain shirts and long swords hung on the walls, and another rack of shortspears. Nobody seems interested in these. Rather, their attention is drawn to a single small, steel chest in the corner. “Also locked. Triesste?”

The half-Drow hunches over the chest, running her hands around it gently, “I don’t think it’s trapped.” She seems to be enjoying proving herself useful to the party. It takes several minutes of trying for Triesste to get the chest open, but finally, with a click, the lid pops up.

Inside, the party discovers five flasks clearly labeled “Alchemist’s Fire,” two vials of a clear, syrupy liquid, and a masterwork spiked gauntlet.

“Wow, hardly anybody makes those things,” barks Slash excitedly, pulling the gauntlet out of the chest, “Good thing I like using them,” and she pulls a regular spiked gauntlet out of her pack, compares the two, and, grinning, stashes them both.

Crystal looks annoyed, “I think we’re going to have to have a little talk about treasure distribution, Slash,” he says, “That gauntlet is valuable. It might be of more use to the party if we sold it.”

“Let’s discuss this later,” says Zya, “just get the stuff that looks useful or valuable and let’s move on.”

“Wait, I want to at least see if I can tell what those potions are,” says Crystal, picking one up and working out the stopper, “It they’re healing potions, we might need them later on.” He takes a small sip and immediately gags, trying to spit out the liquid.

“What? Poison?” asks Zya, alarmed.

Crystal shakes his head and re-stoppers the vial. He points to his mouth and sticks out his tongue, the skin of which seems to have hardened into complete rigidity.

“Interesting,” murmurs Beltana, “A substance that hardens skin on contact? Offensive or defensive, I wonder? And does it wear off?”

Crystal is having trouble speaking with his hardened tongue, but stashes away the vials for later investigation. The party distributes the alchemist’s fire between Zya, Crystal, and Triesste, since they say they are reasonably good at throwing weapons.

Returning to the long storeroom, group heads west, finding themselves in the temple they saw from the guardroom. There is a passage across the room from them leading further west, as well as the open secret door to the north. Beyond the secret door can be seen a set of rough-hewn steps leading down. Triesste wants to go down the stairs, but the rest of the party overrules her. “One level at a time,” they tell her.

Moving across to the west passage, they find another long room, almost a mirror image to the storeroom on the other side of the complex. This room, however, is outfitted as a barracks. Bunks line the western wall, an iron footlocker at the foot of each. More immediately pressing on the attention of the party, though, are two more of the strangely infected soldiers shambling towards them, again uttering tortured phrases and wielding long swords.

The party fans out, preparing weapons. The soldiers are approaching the people closest them, with no attempt at strategy. Melee is joined. Beltana tries another spell, but it also has no affect. Her expression becomes one of curiosity. One of the soldiers manages to wound Strak somewhat, but the Derro shrugs it off and slices off the soldier’s head with his counterattack. Meanwhile, Slash and Crystal are busy bludgeoning their opponent. Finally, the other soldier falls. Zya hurries over to Strak, “Do you need healing?” “No.”

Searching the room and the bodies, the companions discover a total of twenty-four wood pieces which they take) and lots of uniforms and personal effects (which they leave). There is a passage that connects back to the original guardroom, so, with no remaining options, the group gathers and prepared to go through the secret door in the temple. About this time, Crystal notices that his tongue is softening and he is regaining his power of speech.

The group heads down the stairs. Before long, they open out into an office/bedroom of some sort. A desk is against the north wall with a book open on it. A bed and a wardrobe stand on the west wall. There is a passage to the east. Before they can properly array themselves, the group is attacked by another strangely infected human, this one wielding a mace and wearing a silver amulet.

“Take him down,” shouts Crystal, “I think that’s the Amulet of Sending we’re after!”

Planning to take down the creature quickly, the companions soon discover that this new foe is not as much a pushover as the solders they faced upstairs.

Muttering guttural incoherencies, the soldier swings his mace with devastating effect into Crystal, who crumples to the ground motionless. Zya growls a low curse and leaps forward to heal him. Strak has his rapier out, trying to get in a few good hits on the soldier, who was evidentially the commander of the garrison. Beltana hangs back, seeming to wait for a chance to do something useful. Slash whirls her nunchukus with lethal precision, hitting the commander solidly in the side of the head.

Off balance from the blow, the commander’s next attack lacks enough force to damage Strak. Zya begins to cast Cure Light on Crystal, having determined that he was still alive. Strak, having shrugged off the feeble attack, whirls and jabs his rapier directly into the commander’s neck. Twitching, as if unable to accept that he has taken a mortal wound, the commander feebly tries to lift his mace. Yellow goo erupts from his mouth as he collapses to his knees, then falls over, dead.

Crystal was sitting up, mostly healed, “Good job. Let’s see what he has on him.”

They remove the amulet, which Zya confirms as having a strong magical aura. They also take two small iron keys from his belt. Strak goes to the table and does something unspeakably biological to the holy book, ruining the other’s plan of taking it to sell it. He chuckles and says that he doesn’t like Hieroneous very much. The party then turns to the only exit other than the stairs from the room: a hallway east.

“Let’s go!” says Slash, “We’ve got to be almost done with this place now!”

Indeed, she turns out to be correct. The winding passage ends at a sturdy, locked door. Though Triesste is eager to try to pick it, the others decide to try the commander’s keys first. Indeed, one of them fits the lock, and with a gentle click, the door swings open, revealing a chamber of utter carnage.

The bodies of what must have been the rest of the garrison lie here haphazardly, some clearly infected with tendrils and some not. All are dead, and the room stinks of blood, puss, and, surprisingly, a strangely alluring, sweet, flowery scent. On the far side of the room is a large packing crate, constructed from a metal framework with cloth (treated with some sort of hardening agent) wrapped tightly around to form a sturdy container. The lid is open, and a huge plant can be seen emerging from the interior. It has thick, green tendrils, each tipped with a large, incredibly beautiful yellow flower. As the companions enter, the flowers turn and orient to point directly at them.

“We seem to have found the source of the problem,” mutters Strak, “Let’s see what we can do about it, eh?”

He leaps forward, rapier flashing.

“No!” cries Crystal, “Keep away from that thing!”

Before anybody can help, the flowers pointed at Strak emit streams of yellow powder directly at his face. Just in time, Strak leaps aside, swearing, and the yellow dust settles to the floor.

“Get back here,” calls Crystal, “We’ll use that Alchemist’s Fire we found. There’s no need to get close to that thing. Strak returns, looking a bit shaken from his near-miss, but nodding agreement.

Crystal, Triesste, and Zya ready Alchemists fire vials and hurl them as one into the center of the deadly plant. The flowers spray the flasks with yellow dust before they land, but to no avail. The flasks shatter and drench the plant in flame. Writhing, the plant tries to escape, thrashing its tendrils around and shooting off random puffs of powder around the room, but to no avail. It cannot leave the packing crate.

“Again!” shouts Crystal, and another volley of flasks is hurled into the inferno. The plant is now totally engulfed in flame, and its flapping tendrils serve only to wave the fire higher. Moments later, it collapses, the tendrils falling loosely to the sides of the crate, dead.

Judging that the corpse of the plant is not a danger, the companions search the room, taking several wood pieces from the fallen solders. The crate itself is utterly non-descript, but the lid, set casually against the wall, has a shipping label affixed to it. The address is given as “Ziffendell Manor, New Fifechester.” To everybody’s annoyance, there is no return address. Beltana cuts some of the less-scorched pieces of tendril and flower into a pouch, “It might be useful to have a sample,” she comments softly.

There seems to be nothing left to do in the garrison. The party leaves via the same passages from which they entered, and begins their march back the cave where their mentors are waiting.

Next time: The companions report to their mentors, a journey is begun, and a random encounter almost kills two characters but it's their own damn fault.

Emerald

First Post
I play Beltana and it was my swashbuckling card that helped in the fight with the plant. It caused the opponent to make a mistake, so it fired its spores in the wrong direction. Also, I helped in the fights with my sling, I am not that worthless.

I think this is a cool idea, I hope the story is kept up with.

Ave Rage

First Post
Nice cast of characters and story plot.

A little hard to see a kobold as a 'tough guy' but I'm sure once he womps on more people I'll come around.

MerakSpielman

First Post
Session 2 (part 1 of 2)

The companions take the shipping label from the crate and search the complex, but they discover nothing further that they want to spend the time and effort to haul away. All the weapons and armor are doubtless valuable, but far too heavy to transport en masse. “If only we had some sort of pack animal,” muses Zya, but there’s nothing she can do about it at the moment. Satisfied that they have been thorough, the party treks back to the cavern where they first met.

Their mentors are waiting, dark cloaked and mysterious. They are sitting around the lighted rod in the center of the room, deep in conversation. They break off as their apprentices return.

Beltana’s mentor, apparently their agreed-upon spokeswoman, asks brusquely, “What news?”

Their report is short and to the point. They take out the amulet, plant clippings and shipping label. The mentors examine each in detail.

Zya’s mentor speaks for the first time, holding the amulet, “This is genuine. It allows one use of the standard Sending spell once per week. Take turns, and do not forget.”

“This is not a plant I recognize,” says the Drow woman, “But I will research it. As for that, she waves her hand at the label, which Triesste’s mentor is examining it, “It holds no clues other than its words. Your course should be obvious to you. See what you can learn. Unless you have further questions, we will leave you now.”

Nobody speaks. The mentors return the items to the party. The Drow woman picks up her glowing rod and stashes it in some hidden pocket in her robes. Suddenly relying only on darkvision, the companions watch their mentors wordlessly slip away in different directions, enveloped by the enclosing darkness.

A few moments pass. They have, as it were, been officially unleashed. Before they go, the party decides to settle some business. The topic of treasure distribution has come up, and they debate the different ways of going about it briefly. Ultimately, they decide on the following policy: A) Treasure is to be divided as equally; B) Special or magical items are considered to be party treasure, belonging to nobody in particular. If somebody wants to claim one for themselves, they must give the party compensation equal to the item’s value. Essentially, items are either purchased from the party pool by individuals, or sold and the value distributed evenly. C) Exceptions to B may be made if the party unanimously agrees that an item is valuable enough in the hands of a particular party member to warrant it being given to them free of charge.

Slash makes meticulous notes of these proceedings. Currently, the items considered to be party treasure include the masterwork spiked gauntlet and the 2 vials of mysterious substance (hereafter, and possibly erroneously, referred to by the party as “Stoneskin potions”). (OOC: It has been pointed out to me by Emerald that during the game I did not describe the shipping crate as being crafted of cloth coated in a “hardening substance.” I detailed this in the story hour when I realized the crate could not be made of wood. If I had mentioned this, she says the party would have assumed that the vials contain an alchemical compound used to accomplish the cloth-hardening effect. As it is, they do not assume this.)

“All right, then,” says Crystal, once the treasure-division issue has been settled, “There remains the small matter of a cover story. We are an odd group to be traveling with each other without a very solid reason. Especially…” He looks pointedly at Strak.

“You can say it,” grunts Strak, “Derro don’t normally associate with outsiders. At least, not longer than it takes us to fillet them. I don’t know which is harder to explain – me, putting up with you lot, or you putting up with me.”

Triesste chimes in, “We could say that you were lonely and you’re paying us to pretend we’re your friends.” She is still nettled about him referring to her as “mongrel” all the time.

Strak begins to retort, then muses, “You know, people might actually believe that… mongrel. But then you’d have to all act friendly to me, and I’m not sure I could stand it for long.”

“Likewise,” mutters Triesste.

“Oh don’t be silly, you two,” laughs Slash, “The answer is obvious. We’re a troupe of traveling entertainers! I know Crystal and I can play the part, since it’s something we’ve actually done together in the past.”

“And what is our method of performance?” inquires Strak.

“Why, acrobatics and weapon-tricks of course!” the Kobold whirls her nunchukus expertly and does a back flip, “If anybody asks, those of you who aren’t good performers can be our managers.”

After further discussion, they agree that this is probably the best plan. Thus prepared, the companions set out for New Fifechester, a journey that, according to their map, will take almost two weeks and take them through the Nexus, the Crossroads, and the Human city of New Sillar.

(OOC: I spent considerable time figuring out how I wanted to do cross-country travel in the Underdark. I eventually made a map, about 30 squares by 40, where each square is 20 miles on a side. It is assumed that the entire place is riddled with natural caverns. It takes a day to travel one square. If the party is following an established path, this is easy and automatic. If they are traveling off-road, they must make a Wilderness Lore check in order to find a route into the next square. Depending on the terrain, this check is “easy” (15) “difficult”t (25) or “friggin’ hard” (35). Success means they travel to the next square, failure means they spend a day searching for a route. This avoids the tedious mapping of individual tunnels and reflects the number and nature of natural obstacles. They are permitted to hire guides, if they wish, to possibly speed the process. Only the secret DM map has the Wilderness Lore DCs marked (via different highlighter colors) for the different squares, though with proper research this information might be revealed to the party. If the map seems small, only 600 by 800 miles, remember also that this is the Underdark, which means I have three dimensions to work with. I have made 4 levels of map, totallying 3200 squares, or 1,280,000 square miles. The party is currently in the Upper Underdark. The other levels are: Middle Underdark, Lower Underdark, and the Depths. As of this time real-time, they have yet to explore off road at all.)

Session Two to be continued after these messages…

Last edited:

MerakSpielman

First Post
Look_a_Unicorn said:
More More More :)
Anything for a fan! Give me half a second...

Also you might want to update your sig so it's not pointing to the old enworld.cyberstreet addresses.
The only two that're not correct are my old story hour and my old PbP EoM game, and I don't think anybody will want to respond to those anyway after all this time.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads