• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Gabe from PA creates something awesome...again

awesomeocalypse

First Post
Every time Gabe posts about his D&D campaign, I become wildly jealous of his players. The dude runs 4e the way I want it to be run in my dreams--cinematic, exciting, and very much in the "big damn heroes" vein.

Well, he's done it again.

Part 1 (scroll down a bit to the post on the elemental chaos)
Penny Arcade - The Sound Of A Klaxon

Part 2 (again, scroll down a bit)
Penny Arcade - Incredible Savings

These are just...awesome. And also, one of the best arguments I've yet seen for why learning from video games is not a bad thing. The free fall encounter, the mirror puzzle, and now the 3 dimensional fight in the zero g of the elemental chaos...all of them would fit right in in any of the top video games these days, from WoW to God of War, and they are all awesome.

Death forever to the generic"4-5 heroes fight 1-5 monsters in a featureless square room" encoutner! Death I say!

Last edited:

I recall seeing a cool set-up at Gen Con once when they were releasing Eberron. They'd set up a 3-D map with three towers connected by ramps and bridges on multiple levels. All it needed was a good air taxi and it would have been perfect.

Scribble

First Post
These are just...awesome. And also, one of the best arguments I've yet seen for why learning from video games is not a bad thing. The free fall encounter, the mirror puzzle, and now the 3 dimensional fight in the zero g of the elemental chaos...all of them would fit right in in any of the top video games these days, from WoW to God of War, and they are all awesome.

Yeah- the whole killing elementals to destroy the "shield" around the giant was pretty awesome, and as he says- straight out of video games.

cdrcjsn

First Post
I'm jealous as well.

At this point though, playing D&D is actually doing research for his real job. Not many jobs that can say that. Nice perk I'd say.

Grymar

Explorer
Yep, I sent this to the guys I play with attached to an apology. I'll never have the time or creativity to match what he does.

Aegeri

First Post
I like how he uses video game based gameplay, but uses it in a tabletop form to enhance the game and make it more fun. I've always had rather verbose arguments with people claiming turning DnD into a computer game is awful, they've ruined roleplaying and such.

Then I see someone who comes from a directly video game background use all that as inspiration for things like this and I wonder, what really is the problem with that concept?

Remove ads