• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Game Concept - Suggestions/Feedback strongly requested!

DethStryke

Explorer
I am getting ready to run an All Flesh Must Be Eaten game with two or three players. I have a background and story line that I would like to bounce off everyone and see what you think. I have not put alot of time & research into the concept, just gleaning what I need from the storehouse of useless knowledge in my head and then doing a bit of book work to shine it up. I am also not very good at biology or chemistry. I may use terms like Pheromone for something that is really sounds more like an enzyme or vice versa, etc etc. Regardless, the gist is there and pretty clear, I think. Please feel free to completely rip this concept a new one. Any suggestions, expansions on these ideas, small details that make no real sense in the scientific view, etc. are highly encouraged, welcome, and thanked for profusely. If you would like speculate on how anyone or any group/country/religion would react to this scenerio, please let it fly! Keep it a bit closer to educated guess, please. That being said, here’s the beef of it:

The Wrath of the Gods falls heavy upon Man.

Premise: Each person has a mystery stat upon creation, which for lack of a better term, I call SIN Factor. Karma/Sin is basically a pheromone that your body secretes with the more immoral/evil things you do. The more good/moral acts done by a person, the more of the pheromone/secretion glands are destroyed (that's why you get a "warm" feeling when you do something good for someone. That's the heat created by the destruction of that pheromone/additional glands). The more evil you do, even if it is doing by not doing anything, the larger the glands grows and, as such, the more you secrete. This flows through the blood stream and into the muscles from there (along the idea of adrenaline). This pheromone (we will call E1) saturates the muscles and is part of your pheromones harmless to humans unless mixed with a specific enzyme (E2). This combines to create a toxin (EX) which can be lethal in high doses, but is always poisonous (exact levels would be worked out on a point value table). This is basically how The Higher Power keeps tabs on the "dirtiness of the soul".

The Higher Power, with no disrespect to any religion, does not recognize any specific religion over another. The higher power has visited many over the years, appearing in a way that would allow the viewer's mind to more easily cope. Thus, depending on the mind of the visited, they would start a religion that fit more with the beliefs and surrounding society of those particular people. The main message that The Higher Power wanted to relay is that everyone should coexist peaceably and treat one another as they would like to be treated.

Of course, humanity is far from that. The Higher Power, having decided a bit of a reset is in order, has chosen this year to do some weeding.

Scientists report a great meteor storm. In much of the world, cloudless skies give an excellent view of the most breathtaking storm of its kind ever recorded. The density of the meteors was so that they were visible even in the daytime. Lasting over 24 hours, all parts of the world were going to be able to bask in the proported beauty of space.

The storms started out innocent enough. As the space tossed rocks impacted our chronosphere, the outer shells were incinerated and the E2 contained within was released into the atmosphere in massive quantities. The reddish hue of E2 blanketed the sky after about twelve hours after impact, slowly falling into the upper atmosphere where it began to accumulate moisture. Pretty soon, the once cloudless sky was masked with thick dark red clouds.

Another first for recorded history, the entire earth was engulfed in this cloud cover. As scientists struggled to find out what this enzyme was, the "blood rain" began and the "death fog" lay heavy upon the land. Seeping along the earth, this thick, knee level fog covered every elevation evenly, floating even over the oceans. At first it just seemed very strange. People were advised to stay indoors if they could until scientists were able to discern what this unknown substance was and what, if any, effects there would be.

The first to die were the relentless villains of our day; the mass murderers, chronically abusive spouses, politicians. etc. All around the world, those with high levels of E1 either fell violently ill over a few hours and died, or passed away in seconds. Swelling was noticeable along the spine of the deceased, and soon became the visual clue of another type of outbreak: the walking dead.

Between a half hour to six hours, EX would flood the nervous system and animate the corpse. Since the glands that produce E1 would no longer function in the dead flesh, those corpses needed another way to remain active. Having a near never-ending supply of E2 in earth's atmosphere, they needed only E1 to complete the combination. Of course, this is found in human flesh, especially those who are sinful (their sweat reeks of E1). Driven by the desire to consume E1, they begin attacking anything and everything that smells of the pheromone. It is the fate of every human to either cleanse their souls through prayer/meditation and good acts, or become consumed by their fellow sinners.

Now, the higher power is not without mercy. It also has a soft spot for humans, being in its likeness. So, those without E1 in their system fell to a blissfully peaceful sleep and passed on within two hours of coming into contact to E2. As such, they all were saved the horror that would be retribution for the rest of humanity, except for the chosen.

The chosen fell into the peaceful sleep as well, and were visited by the heralds of The Higher Power. None of the chosen were the leaders of any religion, as that would show an inclination to one or a few in particular. In this dream, they were told the reasons for the apocalypse and their role as the voice of redemption. They are the shepherds of those left. Only the pious and truly good are of the chosen (Inspired in game terms), and this very state of being allows them to do some truly amazing miracles. Their SIN level is actually in the negative levels, which has a reverse effect on the undead. Among their advantages are the following (not an exhaustive list, by far I think):

- Depending on how much in the negatives their level is, their presence repels the undead or can mask the pheromone in the less than pious.
- They can bless weapons that will grant damage bonuses on the undead
- They can pray for an individual, which will double the “good vibe” value of the next good deed the target does. (example, the Chosen one Allen prays for Joe. Joe, doing a sweep of a few city blocks, finds a small child being chased by a few undead. Joe leaps into action and saves the small child, an act that he receives d6 removed from his SIN level. Due to the prayer, however, the act removes d6 x 2 of his SIN level.)

Each player plays himself or herself, which is made as a mix between a normal and survivor stat-wise. Though through play they may become survivors, and I plan on really playing the horror end to the hilt as they may or may not have to escape/kill their own friends and family. I plan on killing myself in the first game… my fiancé, who is playing, should have some fun with that *wink*. No one is starting as Inspired, and they are not aware of the religious-esque tint I’ve decided upon. All they know is that it is a zombie game. I have told them that there will be some thinking needed, and being trigger-happy will not be the only answer. :)

Storyline & Concept Copyright (c) Dominic Crawford, 2003, All Rights Reserved. I got to thinking that I may want to write some short stories or possibly novels based on this idea, and I'd hate to be harassed by someone who pilfered my brain droppings for money. Course, the masses here can use and abuse it for non-commercial uses. ;)

Last edited:

DethStryke

Explorer
Now that I've looked into this a bit more, I've found that E1 should probably be a Hormone, not a Pheromone. An Enzyme is considered to be something that acts as a catalyst for "A protein that speeds up chemical reactions in the body". I think that is close enough for government work concerning E2, but I'm open to suggestions on that one.

Another idea I've been tossing around:
The greater the amount of EX in a persons body, the stronger the reaction. Since this substance is what jumpstarts and infects the nervous system, perhaps the resulting zombie is more powerful. I have not determined whether talking / reasoning / tool using zombies will be in existance. If they are, and I continue this reasoning, the more evil the creature, the larger the danger it will pose as the undead (ie, being able to open doors, drive cars, generallly do things that mindless undead are not known for.)

Last edited:

DethStryke

Explorer
*taps microphone* is this thing on? Does my idea stink? Does it rock? Is it really confusing? Anything?... Please?

Last edited:

Protean

Still the Same
DethStryke said:
*taps microphone* is this thing on? Does my idea stink? Does it rock? Is it really confusing? Anything?... Please?

I took a look at it and it seems pretty interesting. After I have some time I'll see what I can come up with.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
This has tremendous potential. I think the secret is not telling the players what is actually going on; when you expect an evil scientific experiment, the wrath of the gods is a great big shock!

DethStryke

Explorer
Piratecat said:
This has tremendous potential. I think the secret is not telling the players what is actually going on; when you expect an evil scientific experiment, the wrath of the gods is a great big shock!

Thank you for the compliment! I concur, the trick will be to keep it secret. The hardest part of it, I think, is that I need to properly foreshadow the religious line without slamming it over their heads and making it obvious. The catholic priest in jeans is overdone, so I'm not really sure of what would be equially obvious while being subtle enough to confuse them for quite a while as they flail around.

The next problem is whether the undead will be able to talk and use tools, etc. Being simply mindless is easiest to track, but I think loved ones and friends who can hold a conversation with you about why they want you to die would be pretty horrific.

Decisions, decisions...

DethStryke

Explorer
Instead of trying to actually convert the system to D20 myself (I only had access to the original rulebook that was just about the opposite of D20), I was able to track down the d20 revised books and will be posting more once those are in and I have actual game-mechanic-specific information to build from. I've also thrown this back and forth with some friends, and will have a bit more fleshed out (pardon the pun).

Still looking for comments and ruminations on the above stuff. Please feel free to toss an idea or two out.

Last edited:

ThaDium

First Post
My Thoughts...

Great idea DethStryke! I know it's good because I wish I came up with it.

Sorry nobody is posting to it. I know how frustrating that can be. I've just come by it though, so I'll post.

Here's my thoughts:

On the "Catholic Preist in Jeans":

Why not use a Rabbi who has lost his faith? The players don't even have to know about his background right away. It gives you the religious element, but with a shaper edge. In fact, given that he is no longer of a particular religion, he could even play the role of a Chosen.

You could bring his history out by having him suddenly get mobbed by people from his former congregation looking to him for guidance during a particularly rough Zombie attack. This would give the players a view into his past, but the tenson of the scene would keep them from focusing on it until later.

On Undead Opening Doors:

Do it. It allows you to create a "Big Bad Guy." Someone so evil he has full use of his faculties and can manipulate the other Zombies and the PC's as well. They might not even think he's Undead if they've only seen mindless zombies up until that point.

ThaDium

First Post
morethoughts on the big bad

Suppose the BBG (if you use him) forces a retarded hunchback to go out and sets him up to be attacked by an angry mob.

The mob attacks because they assume his hunch is is the swelling around his spine. His mental disabilities keep him from communicating well in his panic.

The PC's arrive just in time to figure out what is happening and try to make the save. They fail. The man dies. But the figure out what is going on and why an innocent man was attacked. (Mob mentality.)

Now the willbe more sympathetic towards the BBG who can cover his sweeling by posing as another hunchback.

Why he's after the PC's I don't know. Maybe he's connected to the NPC spiritual leader guy.

Anyway, I hope my ideas have helped. Good luck witrh the game and potential books.

Remove ads