• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Game Fundamentals - The Illusion of Accomplishment

wedgeski

Adventurer
In each of those rounds, the key act of participation was rolling a dice, and the net outcome of that participation was nothing.
I don't want to reduce your argument to a single point, but you've dismissed criticism of this position unfairly, I think.

*Even if* all I did was use an attack power on my turn; even if I didn't want to move, or spend an action point, or take advantage of an Opportunity Attack, or use actions gifted to me by the decisions of my comrades. Even if I didn't want to do any of these things (which is, in my experience, actually quite rare) I'm still doing much more than rolling a d20 and hoping for a 10.

I'm engaged in strategic thinking. I'm observing the actions of the party, looking for advantageous tactics, and thinking of ways in which they might need help. I have to decide between my Dailies, my Encounters, and my At-Wills. I have to judge how long I can keep what I'm doing without getting killed, or without letting one of my friends get killed. I'm engaged with *the game* on a much greater level than if I'm essentially dying and making Death Saving Throws, where all I would be doing is rolling a d20 and hoping for a 10 (or more to the point, a 20).

If you were to say my engagement with the *system* amounted to the same (roll a d20, add modifiers, higher is better), then I'd agree. But the game is not just the system, it's also the collaboration with your party, and your OP after all is not entitled "System Fundamentals".

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
here, in that making an attack involves making a decision - to attack, who to attack, using what attack, and to not run away. Rolling a single dice on your turn involves no decisions. It is just a mechanic timer over which you have no effect whatsoever, and can easily be delegated to a computer. In fact, I find my players prefer non-interactive unconsciousness - this is where you go make a new pot of tea and let some of the tension out you your system. Making rolls each turn does not make a situation involving as long as this roll does not involve any choices, any tactics.

I know the thread passed over this topic and there were some answers along this line, but I still want to stress that participation is about choices - not merely die rolls

There was a couple threads where it came to light that player power and pc power were distinct .. In some games like Fate there are things a Player can do like spend a fate point to generate a narrative change in the action... independent of the status of his character and similarly games where luck points might be spent on your allies. Fate can even result in a trade off between player and character power... Character Aspects which represent well disability can be used to generate more fate points granting more player power.

The idea is to extend player interaction somewhat beyond their primary playing piece so that some choices may be available even when your primary route to interaction with the game may be disabled.

A while back somebody wanting to DM for money wanted to avoid player disablement asked for brainstorming one of the resullts were allowing Warlord style powers even when the PC was "unconcious" .. like inspiring your allies to fight harder and buffing them or rallying them to your side granting them extra moves and extra attacks... these things resulting in player involvement changing when the character gained a unfun condition.... not stopping.

No, I'm fine not referring to it. I'm looking for points of reference here, and the other thread was convenient.

It's all about the psychology and experience of playing a game. If I am participating (by rolling dice, saying what my character is doing, etc.) and end up failing, I am still participating meaningfully and feel like I'm participating. If I am sitting at the table and doing nothing but eating Doritos, I am not participating meaningfully in the game.

I don't really see why this would be such a leap, honestly. There's a big difference between, "I attempt something and fail" and "I attempt nothing at all." You don't experience these two circumstances differently?

I don't experience a game from the "meta-perspective" you're talking about, and I don't know anyone who does. From an experiential perspective (which should be essential when you're talking about goals and motivations), the two are completely different - in one I'm interacting with the game and the rules, and in the other I'm not.

I'm not conflating success with participation, here. You seem to be, by your arguments that participating and failing is no different from a meta-perspective from not-participating at all.

Based on these two lines, I don't honestly think you do. Playing a game and losing is very, very different from not playing a game at all.

-O

Participation in the activity is important. The activity is the game itself. The question we must ask is what defines meaningful participation from participation that isn't " good enough"?

For example, my character rolls poorly for a save early in a large battle involving ghouls. The character will be out of action for the duration of the battle.
The DM then hands me a card with the stats of the ghast leader of the pack and invites me to continue participating in the action in the role of bad guy.

Am I still participating in the game? I say yes. I have something interesting to do and am not reduced to snack muncher for the rest of the fight.

My chosen character failed, but I didn't have to sit on my hands because of it. :)

Steel_Wind

Legend
I'm lapsed!! Why didn't someone tell me I was lapsed?!

I haven't spent $100 on RPGs in the last 5 years in total. (And that includes buying the 4e core books.)

You are not lapsed - you are just not a lifestyle gamer. You play; you are not a big spender on the game.

You are a gamer. Any chance you are over 35 and prove Ryan Dancey's other point too?

This is not really true. Once you possess a GM he will bring in players for you. Most people come into RPGs through existing social relationships with existing players and GMs. It is rare for someone to discover RPGs in a vacuum and flounder at finding a GM.
Oh yes. The magical super powers of a GM. I've been a GM for 30+years. I don't think I've used that "superpower" once.

With great power comes great responsibility; so GREAT, evidently, that some of us fear to use their superpower at all - for good or evil.

Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
My chosen character failed, but I didn't have to sit on my hands because of it. :)

Certainly possible and directly related to what I said above. But that is a mighty dramatic change and for many going from centered on my character which I have a lot invested in and his allies to playing the enemy and conspiring against those same might not be seen as acceptable point of view switch.

Celebrim

Legend
*Even if* all I did was use an attack power on my turn; even if I didn't want to move, or spend an action point, or take advantage of an Opportunity Attack, or use actions gifted to me by the decisions of my comrades. Even if I didn't want to do any of these things (which is, in my experience, actually quite rare) I'm still doing much more than rolling a d20 and hoping for a 10.

The first thing to note is that you are immediately devaluing and shifting my argument by employing the verb 'want', implying that all the above decisions are choices. However, that doesn't have to be the case. You might not actually have any of those choices, or - to the extent that you do have them - they might be meaningless choices, actions you undertake purely to show you could do them, and not because any of them lead to significant changes in the game state.

So far, everyone is attempting to dismiss my point by arguing against some alternate construction. Let's make it very clear. Yes, I do agree that failing a save and failing an attack are not always the same thing. However, that has never been my point. My point is that in a quite common situation, they are the same thing.

I'm engaged in strategic thinking. I'm observing the actions of the party, looking for advantageous tactics, and thinking of ways in which they might need help. I have to decide between my Dailies, my Encounters, and my At-Wills. I have to judge how long I can keep what I'm doing without getting killed, or without letting one of my friends get killed. I'm engaged with *the game* on a much greater level than if I'm essentially dying and making Death Saving Throws, where all I would be doing is rolling a d20 and hoping for a 10 (or more to the point, a 20).

And my answer to this is simply 'maybe'. It may be the case that this is true, but frequently it is not. I think the problem people are having with my argument is instead of comparing the two things I'm comparing, people are comparing the general case of being stunned versus the general case of being not stunned. Obviously, in the general case of being not stunned, you have more options than in the general case of being not stunned. But in the particular cases of being not stunned that I'm comparing, that isn't true. Yes, the general case of a round where you can act offers more oppurtunities than the general case of a round where you can't act, but in many cases even when you can in theory act your entire participation in the round is rolling the dice and then passing it to the next player. That shouldn't even be contriversial. I'm not sure how you could be a gamer and not have had the experience of a meaningless turn because of a dice failure.

If you were to say my engagement with the *system* amounted to the same (roll a d20, add modifiers, higher is better), then I'd agree. But the game is not just the system, it's also the collaboration with your party, and your OP after all is not entitled "System Fundamentals".

Now this is a very interesting follow up to what you wrote above, because suddenly you not only agree with me but you also are moving on to a point I wanted to make later - participation in the game and victory within the game aren't necessarily defined mechanically. You don't have to define the game totally within these very tight video game like action-reward feedback loops. In my last session, the point in the game I think may have been enjoyed the most was when half of the party was unconscious and bleeding to death, and the important point is that on the whole I think the players of the characters who didnt' even have a turn at that point enjoyed that part of the game more than any other time in it. If we define 'participation' and 'victory' entirely in these action-reward feedback loops, its impossible to explain that. If we define 'participation' and 'victory' in ways that include social collaboration and collaborative story telling, then suddenly that begins to make sense. People were deriving enjoyment vicarously, and the excitement was greater precisely because status effects that had deprived them of actions had led them to a point where they had more invested in the scene. Failure was fun. That is not something that mechanistic theories of Pavlovian gaming can explain, but its critical to understanding how PnP games manage to deliver 'The Illusion of Accomplishment' in a way that lets them compete as modes of entertainment with Bejeweled Blizt, WoW, etc.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
The first thing to note is that you are immediately devaluing and shifting my argument by employing the verb 'want', implying that all the above decisions are choices. However, that doesn't have to be the case. You might not actually have any of those choices, or - to the extent that you do have them - they might be meaningless choices, actions you undertake purely to show you could do them, and not because any of them lead to significant changes in the game state.

Could this have edition differences...
Movement and similar actions seem far more useful and far closer to usually a possible choice in 4th edition than in previous versions of the game... similarly everyone having possible dailies and encounters makes for everyone at the table having more choices that are viable not meaningless... so it sounds more like you are arguing a special case not necessarily that common. At-wills are very often not the default choice .... and become less so as the game progresses to higher levels.

Obryn

Hero
For example, my character rolls poorly for a save early in a large battle involving ghouls. The character will be out of action for the duration of the battle.
The DM then hands me a card with the stats of the ghast leader of the pack and invites me to continue participating in the action in the role of bad guy.

Am I still participating in the game? I say yes. I have something interesting to do and am not reduced to snack muncher for the rest of the fight.

Heck yes, absolutely. You're still participating in the game and engaging with both the system and the players.

This is a very good example of a distinction between participation and success. By having the player take over an NPC, you're still keeping everyone at the table engaged and playing.

-O

Celebrim

Legend
There is a huge difference here, in that making an attack involves making a decision - to attack, who to attack, using what attack, and to not run away. Rolling a single dice on your turn involves no decisions. It is just a mechanic timer over which you have no effect whatsoever, and can easily be delegated to a computer. In fact, I find my players prefer non-interactive unconsciousness - this is where you go make a new pot of tea and let some of the tension out you your system. Making rolls each turn does not make a situation involving as long as this roll does not involve any choices, any tactics.

Of all the attempts at rebuttle, this is by far the strongest. My only responce is to say that while that is true, in many cases making an attack involves a trivial decision. Indeed, often the decision is so trivial as to be perfunctery and made without thought. One of the things 4e tried to do (and opinions will vary on how successful it was in achieving this) was create a system in which the moments where the decision to attack was trivial was minimized precisely to avoid this 'slog' problem I'm discussing. One point I have raised thus far is that in many cases, your participation in the system in a slog is so minimal that your turn amounts to rolling the dice and passing it to a player whether or not you succeeded in the task. In this case, the participation is failing to provide the illusion of accomplishment even when nominal success is achieved, because the player has nothing invested in the moment and percieves that his participation is rote and meaningless.

I know the thread passed over this topic and there were some answers along this line, but I still want to stress that participation is about choices - not merely die rolls.

But this in my opinion only leads us back to the original point I was trying to make. People are defining participation in such a way that it excludes certain types of participation, and despite protests the contrary I still insist that when you start taking apart that definition it ends up meaning 'participation where I can achieve a meaningful degree of success (even if ultimately we fail in the challenge)'. You want to say, "Well, it's not just participation, it's participation with choices." But I simply respond to that by saying, "When you say choices, you mean choices where there is a reasonable chance of success and where there is an expectation of success at least some of the time. If we played the game with a rigged die such that we could gaurantee that each of yourr choices ended in failure, the people who are protesting that they don't mean 'success' they just mean 'participation' will then complain that those aren't 'real choices'."

You keep trying to obfuscate the meaning by shifting from one word to the next, but so long as you retain the orginal within the implication of your new word, you aren't making any progress. In the context they are being used, you can't divorse participation or choices from success.

And that is a big issue with mechanics like (the original 4E) skill challenge rules - once you've identified the skill to use, there is no further need of choices, there is only mechanics in the form of dice rolling. This is the point where my players lose interest. Keeping their interest trough a 18-roll skill challenge (complexity 5) is just not possible once they analyze the situation.

Agreed. See my comments on the slog problem, and my disemboweling of the idea of a 'skill challenge' in various threads before the mechanic was introduced.

In the introduction to my new campaign, the very first scene (first 13 or so rounds of the game) was a tsunami smashing through a coastal town. The scene involved skill checks by virtually every player virtually every round, balance, climb, jump, diplomacy, animal handling, tumble, escape artist - I ran the gambit as I threw various obstacles in front of the fleeing players. But it differed from a 4e skill challenge in that each choice was immediate and had immediate consequences.

Last edited:

Certainly possible and directly related to what I said above. But that is a mighty dramatic change and for many going from centered on my character which I have a lot invested in and his allies to playing the enemy and conspiring against those same might not be seen as acceptable point of view switch.

For a campaign it may be too much, but for a single battle? If participating differently for that amount of time becomes a problem due to investment issues then perhaps the game has become far too much "sewious business" and lost some of that elusive fun that we shouldn't have to work too hard for.

Remove ads