Game Master Tips from Wil Wheaton

As you probably know by now, Wil Wheaton hosts the new RPG web show, Titansgrave: The Ashes of Valkana. In it, he runs Green Ronin's Fantasy AGE roleplaying for a group of celebrity friends. What you might not have known is that each week he gives a gamemastering tip, hosted by popular website The Mary Sue. There have been two so far - the first about getting players invested in your world, and the second talks about character arcs.

As you probably know by now, Wil Wheaton hosts the new RPG web show, Titansgrave: The Ashes of Valkana. In it, he runs Green Ronin's Fantasy AGE roleplaying for a group of celebrity friends. What you might not have known is that each week he gives a gamemastering tip, hosted by popular website The Mary Sue. There have been two so far - the first about getting players invested in your world, and the second talks about character arcs.

The short (under 2 minute) tips are hosted here on The Mary Sue.

[video=youtube;_9Yn-JdpG5Y]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9Yn-JdpG5Y[/video]

[video=youtube;CtvJ_nolYmc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtvJ_nolYmc[/video]

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
So what's his next tip going to be? Allow players to make their attacks less lethal, after the attack? (Poor Kinagidas...)

What tip would you like to give Wil? :devil:

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
Answer: the next tip is don't use grids.

I happen to wholeheartedly agree. :)

Of course, it's a strange coincidence that my current set of players contains a very low percentage of tacti-gamers. So we're having a great time playing theater-of-the-mind.

Let's check out Tip #4...

MarkB

Legend
Answer: the next tip is don't use grids.

I happen to wholeheartedly agree. :)

Of course, it's a strange coincidence that my current set of players contains a very low percentage of tacti-gamers. So we're having a great time playing theater-of-the-mind.

Let's check out Tip #4...

A year ago I'd probably have been seething watching that episode - we were nearing the end of a 4e campaign that was heavily minis-reliant, and I'd used grid-based combat in the 3e and Saga Edition games I ran.

However, in the last adventure I ran, which was my first time running something homebrewed in D&D 5e, I abandoned minis altogether, used minimal whiteboard maps for occasional illustrative purposes, and ran almost all my combats purely descriptively. It worked well, and whilst I might find myself going back to the grid with a different system, I've come to appreciate the advantages of the narrative approach. I don't consider it quite so stark a division as Wil Wheaton presents it, but it's nice to have options.

Jhaelen

First Post
I don't think you need an actual grid. But a rough representation showing where the PCs are in relation to each other and to the opponents is something I consider a necessity.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads