• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Game Mechanics And Player Agency

The concept of player agency is a central pillar of all role-playing games. It is a balancing factor against the omnipotent, omniscient Game Master. For the purposes of this article, we will be focusing on the smaller-scale application of player agency and the role of game mechanics that negate or modify such agency.

The concept of player agency is a central pillar of all role-playing games. It is a balancing factor against the omnipotent, omniscient Game Master. For the purposes of this article, we will be focusing on the smaller-scale application of player agency and the role of game mechanics that negate or modify such agency.

From the very first iteration of Dungeons & Dragons in 1974, there have been mechanics in place in RPGs to force certain decisions upon players. A classic D&D example is the charm person spell, which allows the spell caster to bring someone under their control and command. (The 1983 D&D Basic Set even includes such a possible outcome in its very first tutorial adventure, in which your hapless Fighter may fall under the sway of Bargle and "decide" to let the outlaw magic-user go free even after murdering your friend Aleena!)

It didn't take long for other RPGs to start experimenting with even greater mechanical methods of limiting player agency. Call of Cthulhu (1981) introduced the Sanity mechanic as a way of tracking the player-characters' mental stress and degeneration in the face of mind-blasting horrors. But the Temporary Insanity rules also dictated that PCs exposed to particularly nasty shocks were no longer necessarily in control of their own actions. The current edition of the game even gives the Call of Cthulhu GM carte blanche to dictate the hapless investigator's fate, having the PC come to their senses hours later having been robbed, beaten, or even institutionalized!

King Arthur Pendragon debuted in 1985 featuring even more radical behavioral mechanics. The game's system of Traits and Passions perfectly mirrors the Arthurian tales, in which normally sensible and virtuous knights and ladies with everything to lose risk it all in the name of love, hatred, vengeance, or petty jealousy. So too are the player-knights of the game driven to foolhardy heroism or destructive madness, quite often against the players' wishes. Indeed, suffering a bout of madness in Pendragon is enough to put a player-knight out of the game sometimes for (quite literally) many game-years on end…and if the player-knight does return, they are apt to have undergone significant trauma reflected in altered statistics.

The legacies of Call of Cthulhu and King Arthur Pendragon have influenced numerous other game designs down to this day, and although the charm person spell is not nearly as all-powerful as it was when first introduced in 1974 ("If the spell is successful it will cause the charmed entity to come completely under the influence of the Magic-User until such time as the 'charm' is dispelled[.]"), it and many other mind-affecting spells and items continue to bedevil D&D adventurers of all types.

Infringing on player agency calls for great care in any circumstance. As alluded to at the top of this article, GMs already have so much power in the game, that to appear to take any away from the players is bound to rankle. This is likely why games developed mechanical means to allow GMs to do so in order to make for a more interesting story without appearing biased or arbitrary. Most players, after all, would refuse to voluntarily submit to the will of an evil wizard, to faint or flee screaming in the presence of cosmic horror, or to attack an ally or lover in a blind rage. Yet these moments are often the most memorable of a campaign, and they are facilitated by behavioral mechanics.

What do you think? What's your personal "red line" for behavioral mechanics? Do behavioral mechanics have any place in RPGs, and if so, to what extent? Most crucially: do they enhance narrative or detract from it?

contributed by David Larkins

S

Sunseeker

I think you can have characters who are "ready" but seem to always grab onto things that are orthogonal to the rest of the group and have too strong an individual agenda. That can be a problem, too.

Sure, and to an extent, it's why I encourage people to make multiple characters so that if a character achieves their goal, or discovers a new goal that isn't party related they can leave the party, go do their own thing and someone new can join the party. Maybe that initial character can rejoin the party at some later date, maybe they'll show up as a friendly NPC...or not.

To add: it is also why I generally do not impose reduced levels upon new characters. I want the players to feel free to interchange their characters as they feel is appropriate.

Last edited:

Then the Gambler character whipped out his Hold Out Pistol, weeniest gun in the whole game, and managed to roll over 70 points of damage thanks to an exploding wild die that rolled something like 6 or 7 sixes in a row. The second bounty hunter's head popped like balloon. He was dead like four or five times over.

Never, ever expect the dice too cooperate.

One of the great things about D&D, is this unpredictability of the dice and the actions of the players. In a recent session of my pirate campaign I had my players take on a large fleet of pirate ships, lead by a creepy cult. The leader of the cult had a massive greatship, way more powerful than the ship of the players. So obviously they'll take out the other ships, but the leader gets away... right? ...RIGHT?

Nope!

The players focused on the leader first, coordinating their own fleet to destroy the Greatship. Some of the other important cult members got away. One of those break-away cult ships they didn't actually see sink, so it seems reasonable that the captain got away. Another they did see sink, but the captain was a master illusionist, so the players themselves said: That guy is definitely still alive, and we love it, because an illusionist would totally pretend his ship sank. But the cult's flagship is dead in the water, and the next session(s) will have the players exploring the greatship, with a big battle with the cult leader at the end. So as a DM I have to assume they kill him, and plan ahead.

This is a very interesting turn of events for me as a DM. Because if the players kill the cult leader, then how will the rest of the evil cult continue? They are pretty much one of the main threats in my campaign, but without a leader, will one of the other members take over? Will this change the cult's focus and strategy, and will that new leader be accepted by all members? The idea that one of the cult members may reject the new leadership, break away, and perhaps ally with the players, is really interesting narratively. And so a whole new chain of interesting plot ideas can flow from this unexpected decission by the players.

pemerton

Legend
Actually, it is different.

The difference is that the effects of an explosion are about physics and physiology, and the effects of the social interaction are about thoughts.
If this is a mind-body thing, I'm not sure I agree with the metaphysics.

If it's a claim about the nature of a character, then I disagree - as elaborated below.

If the GM can tell me what my character thinks, then he's not really my character, it's the GM's character.
If my conception of my PC is as strong, and my PC gets defeated in hand-to-hand combat, it turns out I was (to some extent, in some fashion) wrong.

If my conception of my PC is as quick, and my PC is outrun, or out-drawn, it turns out I was (to some extent, in some fashion) wrong.

If my conception of my PC is as brave and resolute, and my PC is in fact cowed, then it turns out I was (to some extent, in some fashion) wrong.

All these things can happen, in various ways, in various RPGs. In Classic Traveller, for instance, PCs are subject to the morale rules. From the point of view of my authorship of my PC as an element in a ficiton, bravery is not more special than strength or speed.

If you really need my character to behave a certain way, then use magic and take control of him temporarily.
This seems like a separate point. Why would the GM "need" a PC to behave a certain way?

When the players in my Traveller game make a morale check for their PCs; or when the players in my Burning Wheel game make steel checks for their PCs; it's not because anyone needs them to act a certain way. It's because the game puts their bravery into play in the same way that it puts other aspects of their nature and personality into play.

And in any event, none of this has any bearing on my point that you can't use the Captain America example - ie one person not being swayed by Loki - to prove that social mechanics don't work. All that proves is that social mechanics (like explosion mechanics, encumbrance mechanices, wealth mechanics, etc) need to take account of the character in some fashion (a dragon should be harder to blow up than a goblin; a giant should be able to carry more than a human child; a wealthy character should be able to afford more nights of revelry than a poor one; Captain America should be harder to intimidate than an ordinary person).

Jay Verkuilen

Grand Master of Artificial Flowers
To add: it is also why I generally do not impose reduced levels upon new characters. I want the players to feel free to interchange their characters as they feel is appropriate.

Yeah, that's one thing I dispensed with a long time ago, for reasons you lay out. It also means that character death doesn't involve pushing the reset button. It needs to be handled in a way so that new PCs aren't clearly better than old ones, though.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
If my conception of my PC is as strong, and my PC gets defeated in hand-to-hand combat, it turns out I was (to some extent, in some fashion) wrong.

If my conception of my PC is as quick, and my PC is outrun, or out-drawn, it turns out I was (to some extent, in some fashion) wrong.

If my conception of my PC is as brave and resolute, and my PC is in fact cowed, then it turns out I was (to some extent, in some fashion) wrong.
Or, in all cases above, simply unlucky.

Your conception could be as solid as the rock of Gibraltar - that doesn't mean the dice are going to give a flip. :)

Now if being defeated like this is happening all the time, then your point is valid.

This seems like a separate point. Why would the GM "need" a PC to behave a certain way?
Probably because said DM has - likely by mistake - written herself and-or the PCs into a plot corner or a hopeless dead end and needs to haul them out. Either that or her plot demands one certain key action or decision from a PC and nobody looks like they're going to do it.

It's bad DMing, but over the long run we've probably all done it at least once - none of us are perfect. :)

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Yeah, that's one thing I dispensed with a long time ago, for reasons you lay out. It also means that character death doesn't involve pushing the reset button. It needs to be handled in a way so that new PCs aren't clearly better than old ones, though.
The only problem with this comes if players use this rule as a way of in effect avoiding or negating bad or negative things happening to their characters during the run of play, rather than playing through them.

I also like interchanging characters both as player and DM, and if you're bringing a retired character back in we'll update it and see if it's done anything significant in the meantime. Brand new characters, however, always come in at a lower level than the party average.

G

Guest 6801328

If this is a mind-body thing, I'm not sure I agree with the metaphysics.

If it's a claim about the nature of a character, then I disagree - as elaborated below.

But your character's conception of himself can still be that he is strong, and quick, and brave. Even in the face of accumulating evidence to the contrary. The DM is free to provide as much evidence as he/she desires, and the player is free to determine how stubbornly the character refuses to acknowledge that evidence.

All these things can happen, in various ways, in various RPGs. In Classic Traveller, for instance, PCs are subject to the morale rules. From the point of view of my authorship of my PC as an element in a ficiton, bravery is not more special than strength or speed.

Sure. And Call of Cthuhlu has insanity rules, and The One Ring has shadow madness rules, etc. Those, and many others, are specific examples codified in the rules about when the player "loses control" of their character.

D&D has them, too. Usually they fall under the rubric of "magic". What is wrong...in my opinion...is to cross that line outside of one of the special rules meant to cover it.

pemerton

Legend
What is wrong...in my opinion...is to cross that line outside of one of the special rules meant to cover it.
I agree that (as a general rule) when playing a RPG it helps to stick to the expectations created by the rules (especially if playing among strangers or in the early stages of a campaign, ie before distinctive table expectations have been able to emerge).

But isn't this thread about what those expectations might be?

What I was trying to get at with my post comparing strength, speed and courage was that (I think) there is nothing distinctive about courage rather than (say) strength being a key component of my character conception, and so nothing distinctive about mechanics that put pressure on my PC's courage rather than my PC's strength. Both force me to ask (putting it into in-character first person) "Am I really who I thought I was?"

What the actual mechanics should be whereby that pressure is applied is a further matter. I generally prefer systems where (1) the players have choices about resource allocation so they can try and preserve their conception of their character; and (2) I also like an approach to narration that tends to permt this.

An example of what I mean by (2): one time in my 4e game the paladin of the Raven Queen got turned into a frog; mechanically, the duration of the effect was one round; when the PC turned back, the PC swore the Raven Queen's vengeance upon the NPC transmuter; the NPC taunted back "I already turned you into a frog"; and the player responded, in character and without missing a beat, "Yes, but she turned me back." This narration - which establishes the in-fiction meaning of the mechanically-prescribed events - preserves the player's conception of his/her PC and the character's relationship to his divine patron.

And thinking about (1): sometimes, the player simply won't have enough resources left, and so even Captain America may end up too exhausted to stand up against Loki here and now, and have to acquiesce for the moment. Just as sometimes he doesn't have the stamina left to defeat Batroc in hand-to-hand combat. But this is where (2) becomes important: the narration here can still preserve character concept (eg it's not that Cap is a coward; rather, he's exhausted because of his heroic efforts).

There are exceptions to (1) and (2) to be found in good RPGs - eg morale in Classic Traveller isn't something players can spend resources on (other than brining along a leader with Leader and/or Tactics skill), and the narration of the consequence tends to be fairly one-dimensional. I wouldn't envisage many contemporary RPGs using that sort of mechanic, though - I'm not saying it's bad (it happened in the last combat in my Traveller game, and the players weren't outraged or anything), but it tends to be something of a marker of the era when the rules were writeen.

Jay Verkuilen

Grand Master of Artificial Flowers
The only problem with this comes if players use this rule as a way of in effect avoiding or negating bad or negative things happening to their characters during the run of play, rather than playing through them.

I also like interchanging characters both as player and DM, and if you're bringing a retired character back in we'll update it and see if it's done anything significant in the meantime.

I think the DM needs to say "no" when stuff like that happens and good players don't fall into that kind of thing.

Brand new characters, however, always come in at a lower level than the party average.
I tend to keep levels the same, but it would depend a lot. New characters shouldn't be better than existing ones, but I don't want them to be overshadowed.

Hussar

Legend
[MENTION=6801328]Elfcrusher[/MENTION] - from what you're saying, at least from what I understand of what you're saying, it appears that so long as the game has existing mechanics for removing player agency, you're pretty ok with it. You don't want it done on an ad hoc, fiat basis (either by the DM or another player) but, with games that have specific, existing mechanics, you're pretty happy.

So, I honestly have to ask, what's the beef with a warlord? It's existing mechanics, same as Sanity, or Morale or anything else, that tells you what your character thinks. Why is it such an issue with one specific class and not all mechanics?

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads