• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

GAME OF THRONES #2:The Night Lands ACT 12 Chapter 2-2012

Truth Seeker

Adventurer
The Night Lands

Arya reveals her identity to Gendry on the road north while Gold Cloaks pursue the party. Tyrion is far from happy with Cersei after the recent bloody actions in the capital. One of Dany's scouts returns with bad news. Theon Greyjoy finally returns home to his his father Balon after years as a Stark ward and hostage. Stannis' right hand man, Davos, enlists a pirate with a fleet of ships to join Stannis' cause.

Starman

Adventurer
I commented in the thread for the previous episode that I didn't really care for the writers making Littlefinger less subtle than he was portrayed in the books. A similar thing happened in this episode with Stannis and Melisandre. While the book strongly implies that Stannis and Melisandre are getting it on in part to
fuel her magic
, it is never explicitly shown. Maybe it's the different medium. Maybe it's another chance to show off some fine bewbies. I don't know. It wasn't that I didn't like the scene; it's just different.

Overall, I really enjoyed the episode, though. The scene with Tyrion and Cersei when he confronts her about the killing of the bastards was fantastic.

Starman

Adventurer
Forgot to mention that I'm not sure how to feel about the casting for Asha Yara Greyjoy. She didn't have much in the way of dialogue, but I wasn't really feeling much of her cocky attitude.

Fast Learner

First Post
My friend was really irritated by that Stannis and Melisandre scene, preferring that it be implied. I suggested that implication takes a whole lot more screen time.

Kzach

Banned
Banned
I will never understand people who complain about TV shows/movies being different from the books. I think it's a given that they will be different and that if you can't accept that going in, then you shouldn't watch them because you WILL be disappointed. Why watch something when you know you're not going to like it, other than as a reason to complain about something.

I, for one, am really enjoying the series. Enough is faithful that I'm delighting in seeing my favourite characters and scenes in action, and enough is different that I'm enjoying watching how things twist and turn and play-out.

I really hope that the next episode reveals more about Jaqen H'ghar and 'Arry'. Can't wait for Arya to get her three 'wishes' :D

Cor Azer

First Post
One thing I noticed with the Stannis and Melisandre scene - they almost seem to imply that Shireen Baratheon is non-existent, and that Selyse is sick in a tower. I don't recall Stannis' wife being sick in the books, so they're doing some more character trimming there.

I figure by making Davos' son a bit more prominent as a fervent believer in R'hllor, they may be chopping out all the Florents.

Remus Lupin

Adventurer
One thing I noticed with the Stannis and Melisandre scene - they almost seem to imply that Shireen Baratheon is non-existent, and that Selyse is sick in a tower. I don't recall Stannis' wife being sick in the books, so they're doing some more character trimming there.

I figure by making Davos' son a bit more prominent as a fervent believer in R'hllor, they may be chopping out all the Florents.

I agree there seems to be some character pruning going on here, also by making Bronn head of the Gold Cloaks, though given the foreshadowing with Davos's son ....

NewJeffCT

First Post

The daughter is the one with grayscale. I don't recall Selyse being sickly in the book - unattractive, yes, but sick? I don't recall.

Remus Lupin

Adventurer
I think Cor Azer means that the show implies that Selyse is sick, not that she is in the book. This also seems to gloss over the fact that in the novel it's Selyse who presses Stannis to accept the Lord of Light.

Kzach

Banned
Banned
Selyse Baratheon - Game of Thrones Wiki

She's in it, but only briefly; blink and you'll miss her.

As for her being sick, gotta understand the mentality of the setting rather than applying modern logic and mores. She can't bear healthy children so she's 'sickly'. Given how tied royals are to their progeny, and given Melisandre's hotness, it's only logical Stannis would go for it. What annoyed me was how quickly and easily he fell to her charms. I felt that could've been played out at least over one more episode.

Remove ads