• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

GAME OF THRONES #8:The Mountain and the Viper ACT 47 Chapter 4-2014

Herschel

Adventurer
How he just kind of stood there when it all broke loose. He didn't fall right away, didn't curse, didn't anything, just stood there like a schmuck for a rather awkward period of time.

Ahnehnois

First Post
How he just kind of stood there when it all broke loose. He didn't fall right away, didn't curse, didn't anything, just stood there like a schmuck for a rather awkward period of time.
What, you mean after watching his wife and unborn child murdered right in front of him and knowing his potential empire is crumbling on top of him? Yeah, I'd say the moment was bigger than him.

Scorpio616

First Post
The deaths are why this series is so good! Too few TV shows have the guts to kill significant characters, robbing every violent scene of all tension since you know they won't kill the cash cow.

I breathed a sigh of delight when the Viper had his skull crushed. Saving a popular character while avenging a family member's rape and murder is something that might give someone plot armor in most of TV and movie land. But not here!

NewJeffCT

First Post
What, you mean after watching his wife and unborn child murdered right in front of him and knowing his potential empire is crumbling on top of him? Yeah, I'd say the moment was bigger than him.

Not to mention that he'd been pierced by a crossbow bolt... might have been a bit hard to act.

LostSoul

Adventurer
I found the death out-of-character. We're supposed to believe that one of the best warriors in the world is caught off-guard like that? I'm sure he's fought big tough guys before. I'm surprised he didn't realize that the guy was still able to act, since he's one of the best warriors in the world.

I mean, sure, I guess it could happen, like scoring on Lundqvist from centre ice, but it's going to be a rare thing. Why, then, does it happen at this critical moment in the story? It seemed contrived.

Joker

First Post
I found the death out-of-character. We're supposed to believe that one of the best warriors in the world is caught off-guard like that? I'm sure he's fought big tough guys before. I'm surprised he didn't realize that the guy was still able to act, since he's one of the best warriors in the world.

I mean, sure, I guess it could happen, like scoring on Lundqvist from centre ice, but it's going to be a rare thing. Why, then, does it happen at this critical moment in the story? It seemed contrived.

I think he was a little out of sorts at that moment because he didn't get the confession he wanted. He's a very emotional guy. Even more so considering what they did to his sister.

LostSoul

Adventurer
I think he was a little out of sorts at that moment because he didn't get the confession he wanted. He's a very emotional guy. Even more so considering what they did to his sister.

Yeah, but would a guy who has those emotional issues be able to defeat the Mountain? I doubt he'd have the title of "Red Viper" or whatever it was if that were the case. I can see some random dude succumbing to pressure, but one of the world's best warriors - one who explicitly can kill the Mountain, though he lacks size and strength?

I mean, come on. You are intimately familiar with death - otherwise you wouldn't be the Red Viper. You could break his legs & arms - or neck - but somehow I guess he forgot, since he was fighting the toughest dude in Westeros. Whoops.

I get the point of the story; that Oberyn was full of hubris and self-confidence; but the fact that it hit him at that point, considering how the rest of the story has played out, seems contrived. It would have been more surprising to have him triumph in that battle.

NewJeffCT

First Post
Pretty simple - he was extremely focused during the actual combat, as he'd been waiting over a decade and a half for his chance. However, once The Mountain was on his back & dying (in the books, the spear went all the way through Clegane and pinned him to the ground...), Oberyn lost his concentration, seeing his hopes of getting a confession dying with Gregor Clegane, and to also see if Tywin Lannister would do anything/reveal anything.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, wouldn't yanking the spear out of a gaping wound like that have hastened The Mountain's death?

Remove ads