• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Game of Thrones rpg? Midnight campaign setting?

danbala

Explorer
Does anyone know if a d20 campaign setting based on the George RR Martin novels "Song of Fire and Ice" (starting with Game of Thrones) is in the works? Are there any fan attempts to create this material?

Also does anyone have any information about the "Midnight" setting from Fantasy Flight games beyond what has been posted on their website? Realease date?

Crothian

First Post
I haven't heard anything about a Fire and Ice game except that people seem to want one.

As for Midnight, again I haven't heard anything more on that. And since Wil has left them, I'm not even sure there is someone in the know that looks at the boards to answer these questions.

Edit: Welcome to the boards!!

Last edited:

Darklance

First Post
Earlier this year I emailed George R.R. Martin and he said he was currently discussing the idea with a company but that it he would not use D20...and I seem to remember that he said probably not GURPS. I haven't heard anything about it since.

danbala

Explorer
Thanks for the replies.

Are you guys aware of any fan attempts to generate d20 materials? (It seems like a series that is begging for a RPG treatment).

danbala said:
Thanks for the replies.

Are you guys aware of any fan attempts to generate d20 materials? (It seems like a series that is begging for a RPG treatment).

You think so? They are GREAT books but:

1) Practically NO magic severely limits classes and lots more
2) I'm not sure that there are any PC races other than human?
3) What mosters are there to face?

So we have few class options, no race options, and only 3 tiny dragons and some dire wolves to face.

I think you could easily create your own campaign for this world if you wanted to.

edit: I made myself sound like a real jerk

Last edited:

Fast Learner

First Post
You don't consider the Others to be monsters?

And more importantly, the monsters in this world are all too human, most of the time.

There are all kinds of classes and rules that have great potential, imo.

danbala

Explorer
BigFreekinGoblinoid said:

You think so? They are GREAT books but:

1) Practically NO magic severely limits classes and lots more
2) I'm not sure that there are any PC races other than human?
3) What mosters are there to face?

So we have few class options, no race options, and only 3 tiny dragons and some dire wolves to face.

(1) I'm not sure that there is no magic -- its just the case that most of the narators are unaware of it. For example, there is clearly magic associated with the Fire god. One of the worshippers seems to be essentially a fire cleric. The other fights with a flaming sword and heals people. In fact, I believe that character brought someone back from the dead (to a certain extent. Other examples of magic include the mage guild in Quarth and the shapeshifting assassin. There are many other examples, too. Actually magic in this series reminds me a bit of Tolkein -- off camera and poorly understood.

(2) PC Races -- true. Maybe Children of the Forest (elves?). But yes, the PCs would need ot be human.

(3) Monsters -- the primary monester threat would certainly be the "Others." But there is also mention made of "Giants" (probably more like Ogres); halfing cannibals beyond the wall, and pretty much anything else up there too. (What's with the Cold Man, for example?)

danbala

Explorer
Ghostwind said:
Midnight is going strong and slated for a March release as of one month ago when I talked to Wil and Brian.

Great. The teasers for this one have me very interested. It sounds a bit like "what if Sauron won."

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads