• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Game Prep - For Players?

Ostler

First Post
As I said in a different post I'm starting my high level game back up (20th level). One of my players expressed concerned over how often we have been playing in the current game that will be replaced by the high level game. His concern was that infrequent gatherings could make it difficult to keep track of all of the things their characters are capable of.

That got me to thinking. I'm going to be spending a couple of hours between sessions getting material ready for the game. Is it wrong to expect the players to spend 30 minutes or so with their characters, making sure they know what they are capable of? Or to expect them come to the game ready to play, knowing what they can do and what those abilities are (ie. what the feat Power Attack does for them, or how Shapeshifting works) so they aren't looking it up in game?

DragonLancer

Adventurer
Players should be aware of what their characters are capable of, and they should keep notes on how the game is going and where it is up to.

Davelozzi

Explorer
Ostler said:
Is it wrong to expect the players to spend 30 minutes or so with their characters, making sure they know what they are capable of?

Is it wrong? No.
Is it wishful thinking? Probably.

In my experience, most players consider D&D something they just have to show up for. Some might work on their characters between sessions, but most won't take any more time than it takes to pick new skills, feats, and spells, if even that.

Threedub

First Post
That is the minimum of what he should be doing to help the game run smoothly. If he can't handle that it might be time for him to move into a less stressing game, perhaps Chutes and Ladders would be more his speed.

On the other hand, this may be his way of saying that the sessions are happening too infrequently and he wants a more regular game.

EricNoah

Adventurer
Ayup, some players have to learn the hard way that not being prepared or knowing how their character "works" has negative consequences...:)

The most effort I put into my prep as a player is right after the game is done. All of my hand-written scribbles with new inventory, used/lost inventory, etc. get inputted into the character's file in eTools and I immediately post a new version of my character sheet online. If I wait too long I'll forget something. Then in a couple of weeks when I need it again, I can be reasonably sure I took care of my recordkeeping and can just print off a new sheet if necessary.

I spend more time with spellcaster PCs than non-spellcasters (learning how the spells work).

BSF

Explorer
I believe that players should put a minimum of effort into knowing how their character works. Of course, I also DM so maybe this isn't a surprising revelation. In my experience there are some players that are not willing to put more than table time into their character. I am growing increasingly frustrated with that and I am starting to think that I am being too nice letting them look up mechanics as they need them.

I put in a couple of hours a week for my PC. Whether that is online characterization, looking up new abilities, planning for future levels, consolidating campaign notes, reviewing campaign notes, or whatever. For me, it is more then just a couple of hours at the table. I wish everyone I gamed with had the time & inclination to do the same, but it just doesn't happen.

cignus_pfaccari

First Post
EricNoah said:
Ayup, some players have to learn the hard way that not being prepared or knowing how their character "works" has negative consequences...:)

Con story: My roommate played in a Shadowrun game at ConStitution in Arlington WAY back in '94. Towards the end of the game, when he's taken a Serious wound, he looks at his sheet. "Hey, I'm a mage! No wonder I have such a crappy gun!"

Seriously...I long ago learned that planning a spell list was far more work than I wanted. I update my rogue or fighter before leaving the table, since I've spreadsheeted my character out beforehand and know what the next level is and mostly where my skills will go. I try and make my magic item cards* when I get treasure, or, failing that, when I get home. The only time I ever delayed starting the game is when I played my cleric, and had to make up his spell list.

Brad

* - We put our magic items onto 3x5 index cards, in case we need to trade. Also, I put weapon stats and such, since one character a while back had more weapons he could use than could fit on the sheet.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
cignus_pfaccari said:
Con story: My roommate played in a Shadowrun game at ConStitution in Arlington WAY back in '94. Towards the end of the game, when he's taken a Serious wound, he looks at his sheet. "Hey, I'm a mage! No wonder I have such a crappy gun!"

Hey, I was at that con! The people who ran it are some of my best friends.

ThoughtBubble

First Post
I've got one guy who preps, one who refuses, one who will prep if reminded, and one who 'preps' by me holding his hand and him dutefully taking notes.

All in all, sounds like I got lucky on the draw.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads