• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Game Settings and Locales

dicechild

First Post
Oases and deserts

I was thinking something similar as far as making several different clusters of oases and maybe setting three or four of them up as competing governments, maybe a couple republics, and probably a couple of good sultanates. I'd like to keep those and five or six communal ones just so that there are lots of places for the characters to go.... Maybe some nomadic tribes too who have several small oases. Might be something to research as far as desert tradition.

Any physical environment can be engaging and interesting. The important part is how the PC's get there, under what circumstances, and how prepared they are for where they may suddenly find themselves. :D

Wik

First Post
The last few years, I've been big on temperate rainforests... such as, say, that found in the Pacific Northwest. It's an environment I'm very familiar with (I live in one, after all, and love camping and fishing and whatnot), and it's one that has a lot going for it - thick vegetation, coastal travel, and hilly terrain honeycombed with caves.

To me, there's nothing cooler than a small stream that has cut its way through a hill, i nthe middle of an old growth forest with trees several centuries old, covered in moss. I really think I live in the most beautiful place on Earth, and I try to reflect that a bit in my games.

A lot can be said for a cold and snowed in village. Usually in a forest clearing steeped in darkness for six months of the year. Villagers are forced indoors because of the harsh weather but their imaginations run wild with unexplainable noises from the dark, rumours of strange people and creatures coming from the unexplainable world around them and worse yet children going missing with alarming regularity every dark winter.

Remove ads