• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Game Wikis?

evildmguy

Explorer
My ten second sign up and playing with Obsidian Portal and it was eh. I think pbwiki has a much better editor, including moving and creating both folders and files. I also wasn't sure if OP is wysiwyg or not but pbwiki is. But, it was not much playing time with it and I have been using pbwiki for years now, so it's completely fair.

It's going to have to have a lot to offer me because otherwise, I can do it faster and easier in pbwiki but I will play with it a bit more. I can say I don't like the journal, if it merely keeps appending it to the top. I think that's going to get too long and be tough to read. Again, though, these are quick decisions based on little time playing with OP.

edg

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Question for those as have used them:

Do these "wiki" sites allow one to simply put up a shell, under the campaign name but with nothing in it except a bit of introductory info and a link to a pre-existing site where all the campaign's information, story, etc. already resides? Or do they expect you to put all the campaign info in their site?

I ask because we already have a site for our games (see sig.), but it'd be fun to link to it from these wiki sites as well...

Lanefan

Jürgen Hubert

First Post
Question for those as have used them:

Do these "wiki" sites allow one to simply put up a shell, under the campaign name but with nothing in it except a bit of introductory info and a link to a pre-existing site where all the campaign's information, story, etc. already resides? Or do they expect you to put all the campaign info in their site?

I ask because we already have a site for our games (see sig.), but it'd be fun to link to it from these wiki sites as well...

Lanefan

You can put on them a short summary, lots of intricate details, or whatever in between you want - it's all up to you.

I second Wikidot.Com - basic subscription is free, and it has lots of customization possibilities. I've put several RPG-related wikis on it, such as the Urbis Wiki and the Arcana Wiki.

tomlib

Explorer
I can say I don't like the journal, if it merely keeps appending it to the top. I think that's going to get too long and be tough to read. Again, though, these are quick decisions based on little time playing with OP.

I agree that Obsidian Wiki markup and format is limited but with a little creativity you can get around those issues. The journal I just use a portal to each session so it is merely a series of links each session.

I get around the image limitation by putting pictures in my SkyDrive and then linking them in with !url!.

A more fully functioning Wiki is nice, no doubt about it but the easy is good as well.

Happy Gaming,

Tom

Check out The Girl in Glass Homebrew Adventure Path

evildmguy

Explorer
I agree that Obsidian Wiki markup and format is limited but with a little creativity you can get around those issues. The journal I just use a portal to each session so it is merely a series of links each session.

I get around the image limitation by putting pictures in my SkyDrive and then linking them in with !url!.

A more fully functioning Wiki is nice, no doubt about it but the easy is good as well.

Happy Gaming,

Tom

Check out The Girl in Glass Homebrew Adventure Path

Okay, I have played around with OP a bit more. here it is.

In contrast to mine, this goes straight to the Dark Sun Page.

Admittedly, I was pleasantly surprised by a few pieces of OP. Each journal entry was also its own page. So, creating that top level with links was quick once they were added. And, I suppose I could do like LJ (and other sites) does and put the top one with some future date so it always appears on top.

Further, this is hardly a fair comparison as I have a LOT more on my wiki than on OP.

So, in the end, it's probably whatever a person is most comfortable with or what they already have. Again, pbwiki has some nice editor capability that I didn't see in OP but it's not needed. It's a matter of preference.

One of my players is thinking that Google Wave would be cool to use. That may be true. However, I have a LOT on the wiki and would hate to have my stuff spread out across multiple sites and don't want to port things over as that would be tedious. So, without some big, compelling reason for something new, I will stick with pbwiki at the moment.

Again, though, it seems to be personal preference as most sites have the same capabilities.

edg

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads