• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[GameCube] Just finished Zelda: The Wind Waker...

LightPhoenix

First Post
Pazu said:
...and while I enjoyed it very much, I've noticed a curious phenomenon associated with all the Zelda games I've played (Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, and The Wind Waker), which is that I find myself afflicted by an inexplicable sense of melancholy upon finishing the games.

I wonder if I should stop playing Zelda games. :(

Anyone else ever feel this way?

-- Pazu

Nope!

Go play Link to the Past, for the SNES. Still by far and away my favorite of the series.

I loved the original, and as far as I'm concerned there was no second game, they went straight to LttP. The first GB one was good, the rest I wasn't too thrilled with. Ditto on the N64 ones. I haven't had the chance to play much of Wind Waker, but I hope they get rid of the cel-shading in the future, since the rest of the game looked so beautiful.

Welverin

First Post
A question for anyone who's finished the game, towards the end tKoRL calls you the Hero of the Wind or Hero of Wind or some such. Does anyone one remember exactly what he calls you?

WizarDru

Adventurer
He is the "Hero of Wind". His previous incarnation was the "Hero of Time", who is also known as the "Hero of Legend".

LightPhoenix said:
Go play Link to the Past, for the SNES. Still by far and away my favorite of the series.

Or play it on the GBA, as it's the exact same game. The 'Four Swords' version will even let you play cooperatively with other players.

I haven't had the chance to play much of Wind Waker, but I hope they get rid of the cel-shading in the future, since the rest of the game looked so beautiful.

Couldn't disagree more. I thought the cel-shading served Zelda well, and the graphic artistry was second to none. Few games have ever had such a consistent graphical feel from beginning to end. Thought the GBC Zelda games were pretty fun, too, but that's more a matter of taste than anything else.

Last edited:

LightPhoenix

First Post
WizarDru said:
Couldn't disagree more. I thought the cel-shading served Zelda well, and the graphic artistry was second to none. Few games have ever had such a consistent graphical feel from beginning to end.

Well, the cel-shading is a matter of taste. I just don't like it, and I don't feel it helps any game. With games I've enjoyed though(Wild Arms 3, Wind Waker) I've found I can ignore it pretty much.

Thought the GBC Zelda games were pretty fun, too, but that's more a matter of taste than anything else.

Heh, I guess that came off as more negative than I meant it to be. I've liked almost every Zelda game they've put out - the only two I can't really play are The Adventure of Link (shudder) and Majora's Mask. I liked the first GB one, Link's Awakening, a lot. The two Oracle games were pretty standard Zelda fare though - which is still saying a lot in their favor. I feel the same about Ocarina of Time - nice to see the move to 3D, but overall nothing really innovative about gameplay besides that.

{Small Rant}
That's my big problem with a lot of sequels today - no innovation. Or, you could go the opposite route (ala Final Fantasy) - too much innovation, not enough of keeping the stuff that works. And when something does work really well (FFT, Chrono Trigger) they abandon it.

Ristamar

Adventurer
WizarDru said:
I thought the cel-shading served Zelda well, and the graphic artistry was second to none. Few games have ever had such a consistent graphical feel from beginning to end.

Agreed. Wind Waker was one of the most consistently fluid and beautiful games I've ever played.

Wolfen Priest

First Post
LightPhoenix said:
And when something does work really well (FFT, Chrono Trigger) they abandon it.

You may or may not know this, but they are making a Final Fantasy Tactics game for the GBA. I don't know about you all, but I can't wait for it. :)

EDIT: Oh yeah, and as for the original topic, I tried to play through Zelda again with the blue outfit and color camera, but I got bored pretty quickly. My recommendation: find some friends/cousins/nephews/kids, get about 3 or controllers and a copy of Super Smash Brothers Melee, and release the tension. :D

Last edited:

LightPhoenix

First Post
Wolfen Priest said:

You may or may not know this, but they are making a Final Fantasy Tactics game for the GBA. I don't know about you all, but I can't wait for it. :)

EDIT: Oh yeah, and as for the original topic, I tried to play through Zelda again with the blue outfit and color camera, but I got bored pretty quickly. My recommendation: find some friends/cousins/nephews/kids, get about 3 or controllers and a copy of Super Smash Brothers Melee, and release the tension. :D

I am VERY aware of that, and I can not wait for FFT2 to come out. I'd rather have it on the PS2, but I'll take what I can get. :)

I don't know how many people are aware of this FFT fact though - the person in charge of FFT is now in charge of FF12, and is promising a game fairly different than the other 11 installments...

Oh, and Super Smash Brothers Melee is by far and away THE best fighting game I've ever played.

Remove ads