• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Gameday Feedback

madwabbit

First Post
Rodrigo Istalindir said:
Yes, Rodrigo appreciates that very much, too :)

I'd considered the pizza thing, too. The only thing that I worried about was (well, besides not wanting to run afoul of the 'no charging $$' rules for using the room) if you had people that didn't want to participate for whatever reason, it kind of unintentionally excludes them from part of the experience. However, now that I've seen the new kitchen they've installed, I'm much more comfortable that we could accomodate 'real' food if we wanted to. Also, people that wanted to bring stuff to reheat or what have you could do so and still eat with everyone else instead of scrambling to find fast food and hurry back with take-out.
You could also do pot-luck, with a real kitchen.

But pizza works too.

The_Universe

First Post
Rodrigo Istalindir said:
Yes, Rodrigo appreciates that very much, too :)

I'd considered the pizza thing, too. The only thing that I worried about was (well, besides not wanting to run afoul of the 'no charging $$' rules for using the room) if you had people that didn't want to participate for whatever reason, it kind of unintentionally excludes them from part of the experience. However, now that I've seen the new kitchen they've installed, I'm much more comfortable that we could accomodate 'real' food if we wanted to. Also, people that wanted to bring stuff to reheat or what have you could do so and still eat with everyone else instead of scrambling to find fast food and hurry back with take-out.
I can't say with any certainty how it would work here, but it doesn't seem to have evolved into any kind of exclusive "pizza club" at the NC gameday, which is where I'm drawing inspiration for the idea. Some people get pizza, some people go out, and some people eat a sack lunch...but being able to offer it, I think, would be good...especially for the players of those games that ran over into the lunch hour.

John Crichton

First Post
The_Universe said:
After talking to Scott (Rel) a little bit last night, I'm wondering if we shouldn't consider ordering pizza during the lunch break. Give people a chance to request how much they'll want before the lunch break, and then order enough to make that happen.
This is what they did at the Albany GD and it worked very well. We were able to get more than just pizza as well which worked well for me as pizza is a killer. The afternoon sessions still started a bit late, but there was just one hour between sessions. I think 90 minutes is a sweet spot based on limited experience.

The_Universe said:
I want to give special thanks to Liz (Queen_Dopplepopolis/DangerGirl!), Bob (bretbo), Tom (madwabbit) and Rich (Cthulhu's Librarian) for donating the items we gave away during the raffle. It was nice to be able to knock some of the cost off of the room rental for Rodrigo, and you guys were instrumental in ensuring that we could do that.
I wish I knew about the raffle beforehand! I would have certainly donated a few books to help the cause.

Dire Wolf

First Post
I too will plan on bringing some stuff to donate to the raffle next time as well as other freebie give away type stuff that I have.

I think the 10 - 2 and 4 - 8 sessions sounds great to me, that way if the morning sessions run over it still leaves time for lunch and the late sessions should really start on time if people have 2 hours to grab food and socialize.

Personally for me ordering pizza in is fine, but as witnessed Sunday evening if you have 10 people they want 12 different things. I also like to get out of the room and stretch my legs a bit, see the area, get some fresh air etc. I would say offer it as an option though.

Seonaid

Explorer
I wish I had known about the raffle ahead of time as well, because all I had was $6 on me. :( Thank you to everyone who donated! :D

Thanks for everyone who helped set this up, and the GMs, and the other players. I only made one session, but it was great. Dinner was fun too, even though the service sucked.

I think that having a 90-minute lunch break works well. I'm not a huge fan of 4-hour sessions, but I do like the later start. Maybe 10 to 2:30 and 4 to 8:30? I wouldn't want to go much later than that.

The room was fantastic. I didn't know what to expect, but that was great.

I initially liked the potluck idea, but I can see people not wanting to bring anything (particularly if they're from out of town) and/or people mooching off of the people who do bring things. The pizza idea sounds good, too. I think it would have been helpful to have menus from the local (walking distance) restaurants so we could look and call ahead for pickup.

I'm kind of out of it, having gotten really sick from the lack of sleep over the weekend, so maybe I'll come up with more or more coherent thoughts later. :)

Feedback on the room: Fantastic room space! It had minimal echo, comfy chairs, and plenty of room to spread out.

Parking: I'm so glad that I drove. Parking was plentiful at 8:30am. The front desk people were great---they offered me extra parking spaces for our people.

Raffle: I didn't know there was one and donated what I could. I'm curious if the raffle made enough $ to cover the overhead. If not, I'd like to make additional donation. I didn't have much on me when I got to EnWorld.

Lunch/Dinner: I agree with Seonaid's thoughts: if we wanted pizza or subs, I agree that placing an order for delivery is the way to go. However, that's quite a bit of work for one person to organize, but then no one gets taken advantage of. I like potlucks (I make a mean chili), but I understand that those coming a distance have trouble doing that. Maybe a Costco picnic-type luncheon with everyone pitching in $5/person?

reveal

Adventurer
Rabbit in the Moon said:
Raffle: I didn't know there was one and donated what I could. I'm curious if the raffle made enough $ to cover the overhead. If not, I'd like to make additional donation. I didn't have much on me when I got to EnWorld.

62.5% of the cost of the room was covered by the raffle. :D

Remove ads