GameHole Con Hints At An "As Yet Unannounced Setting" for D&D This Year

Thomas Valley, GameHoleCon's Adventurer's League coordinator, is currently asking for volunteer DMs for the show in November. As part of the post he refers to "The premiere of an Epic event set in as yet unannounced setting" and "The premiere of adventures set in as yet unannounced setting".

Thomas Valley, GameHoleCon's Adventurer's League coordinator, is currently asking for volunteer DMs for the show in November. As part of the post he refers to "The premiere of an Epic event set in as yet unannounced setting" and "The premiere of adventures set in as yet unannounced setting".

54389065_10157392158874644_7953755252908359680_n.jpg

Ravnica was introduced in 2018, and Eberron support was added to the DM's Guild. Other than that, most of the official D&D stuff has all been set in the Forgotten Realms (Curse of Strahd notwithstanding).

This could be a whole new setting; it might just be a region of the Realms.

In related news, WotC's Nathan Stewart tweeted the word "SPELLJAMMER" a week or so back. He has a history of teasing his Twitter followers with hints about settings which - as yet - haven't come to fruition, so take that with as much or as little salt as you wish!

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Those code names are not completely obscure. There is a relationship.

The more estimable the offender, the greater the torment.
~Voltaire

Yeah, but I haven't seen anybody make the connection before the actual product announcement in 5 years. They are good at making obscure references that deflect.

Though if I had to guess, urbane and philosophical suggests Planescape. But we are already talking Planescape, so hello confirmation bias. :)

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
The code names usually come in pairs or clusters that have a connection (i.e; Cloak and Dagger); anyone know what Voltaire is coming along with?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
The code names usually come in pairs or clusters that have a connection (i.e; Cloak and Dagger); anyone know what Voltaire is coming along with?

No, but Ghosts of Saltmarsh was Yipee. Maybe the third book is "Ki yay," and Voltaire stands in for a nasty name? Works for me if so.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I don't really know anything about DDAL, but a product codename for that presumably isn't a product codename for an actual D&D release?

gyor

Legend
Hmm, Voltaire was an 18th century French philosopher, well known for his novel Candide and his quote that the Holy Roman Empire was neither holy, nor Roman, nor an empire..

Candide, with some fantasy tweaks, could make for an interesting basis for a campaign, but I doubt they would build a whole setting around it!

I've always thought that the main areas of the Greyhawk setting were loosely based on the era that the Holy Roman Empire was decaying - an empire in name (the Great Kingdom), but all the counties, duchies, kingdoms, and city states are all now de facto independent. But again, that's a stretch.

Going back to Planescape though - perhaps it's a reference to the famous "philosophers with clubs" quote that describes the Factions?

I think you have a home run on this one. It would be cool to have a Planescape book. What new races would it have? Tieflings, Aasimar, Genasi have already been done (although I'd love to see Genasi redone, the balance between subraces is aweful). Bladelings? General Planetouched Mearls was talking about in the past? Barbiars? Dabius? Something else? More planar subraces?

The most possible is Dragonlance because this year is the 35 anniversary.

Other option would be a planar handbook or a Nordom Whistleklik's guide of the planes. There are lots of planetouched races and not only genasi, aasimar or tielfing. Also they could show the almost forgotten para and quasi elemental planes (ice, magma, ooze, ash, mineral, vacuum, salt...) and lots of elementals to be summoned, and the planar dragons from Dragon Magazine. They were really cool, even that with a stupy duck-beak from Elysium, and the ethergaunts (fiend folio), the thoon cult, or the zerns.

Remove ads

Remove ads