• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Gamemastery Critical Hit Deck

jcfiala

Explorer
Hey folks.

So, I picked up the GameMastery Critical Hit Deck this weekend, and now I'm interested in trying it - it's a neat change to the way that standard crits work, and I like how the results differ based on what type of damage it is. Anyone else had a look at it? What did you think?

Wycen

Explorer
We used it in our Sunday for the first time last week. The campaign world we are using doesn't have Raise Dead, well it is a 9th level spell, so death is basically permanent. The original plan was we'd only use it on the NPCs and monsters. I decided to take a chance in midgame and asked the DM to draw one for a crit my character suffered. It was a through and through wound that reduced my Con or Dex, I can't remember anymore.

The cleric-wannabee mystic theurge took a crit which reduced his Con and then ran away, triggering an AoO which then resulted in another crit. That would have been cool anyway you put it.

Then the shadowmancer got a crit on a touch attack and disintegrated his foe.

Anyway I don't think we should use it based on our more deadly game.

Ryltar

First Post
I love it. It's a great replacement for Torn Asunder, in that it facilitates play very much. No more flipping and dice rolling, just draw a card and that's it. The only minor gripe I have with it, is that it is only useful for games that assume the "standard" d20 level of magic.

beldar1215

Explorer
I really want to use it, however I can't seem to find it in my area. My FLGS doesn't have it yet. I guess I could order it, but I'm one of those instant gradification people. I don't want to wait for it to come in the mail.

Festivus

First Post
Wycen said:
We used it in our Sunday for the first time last week. The campaign world we are using doesn't have Raise Dead, well it is a 9th level spell, so death is basically permanent. The original plan was we'd only use it on the NPCs and monsters. I decided to take a chance in midgame and asked the DM to draw one for a crit my character suffered. It was a through and through wound that reduced my Con or Dex, I can't remember anymore.

The cleric-wannabee mystic theurge took a crit which reduced his Con and then ran away, triggering an AoO which then resulted in another crit. That would have been cool anyway you put it.

Then the shadowmancer got a crit on a touch attack and disintegrated his foe.

Anyway I don't think we should use it based on our more deadly game.

I only permit the BBEG and PCs to pull from that deck, not the fodder or NPCs like follers and cohorts (they are not the heroes nor the major antagonist in the story so they just get the standard crit stuff).

Jason Bulmahn

Adventurer
Festivus said:
I only permit the BBEG and PCs to pull from that deck, not the fodder or NPCs like follers and cohorts (they are not the heroes nor the major antagonist in the story so they just get the standard crit stuff).

This is actually the recommended usage for the deck included in the rules. The other two options are for the bad guys to expend a feat slot to use it and, the most deadly option, for everyone to use it.

Glad to hear it is working out for everybody, this was a really fun product to put together.

Jason Bulmahn
GameMastery Brand Manager

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads